PDA

View Full Version : Joe Blakes

HUON
21st September 2018, 03:55 PM
It wont be long now until the wee birds (blue wrens, scrub wrens, honeyeaters even sparrows) start giving out warning cries of snake snake. I can always rely on our feathered friends to let me know exactly where they are. Isn't nature wonderful.

dusteater
21st September 2018, 04:20 PM
Sure is, our Maggies will hassle the snake so much that it will move on.

HUON
3rd October 2018, 05:00 PM
Saw our first bush tiger a couple of days ago, well, Cath did. Sure enough it was the little birds that alerted her to it's exact position.

Beardy
3rd October 2018, 05:59 PM
I have just been clearing a lot of lantana and rubbish on my property with an excavator and I was sure I would of seen a few but nothing.
i am always on the lookout but don’t see many. They don’t worry me and always move on themselves, last season saw a few tigers and red bellies and one Diamond but that was it

HUON
25th October 2018, 03:59 PM
Just saw a couple of red bellied blacks mating, quite an experience.

auscab
21st November 2018, 09:35 PM
It wont be long now until the wee birds (blue wrens, scrub wrens, honeyeaters even sparrows) start giving out warning cries of snake snake. I can always rely on our feathered friends to let me know exactly where they are. Isn't nature wonderful.

Really ! Ill have to pay closer attention. Would they do the same for an Echidna ? or a Dog?
I notice they all carry on when I walk around the corner of the back shed which leads to the bush . They warn each other about a bloke about to use the bush dunny I think.

I'm keeping an eye out for the snakes . A few were spotted last year.

None yet.

Rob

HUON
22nd November 2018, 02:27 PM
I've found that the small birds get a bit tetchy with critters that they see as a threat to their nestlings. Such as cats, rats, snakes and cuckoos plus other birds that prey on them. I know that the New Holland honeyeater doesn't like the Cuckoo Shrike thrush, even "our" Satin Bower birds give the thrush a hard time.
Another thing to keep in mind is that brown snakes can climb, so have a good look before you stick your head in the bush to see what the fuss is about.

HUON
22nd November 2018, 02:32 PM
PS, don't get me wrong about the grey shrike thrush. They're beautiful birds, we have a couple that sit on our laps and eat out of our hands. Can get a little crowded when the King parrots want to sit on our laps.

auscab
9th December 2018, 02:46 AM
A week back one of the dogs was sniffing at a pile of square hollow section One meter off cuts sitting on the ground about 4 meters from my shed Roller door. I flipped a few over and out came a blue tongue Lizard. We left him alone and that was that.

A few days later, were standing around with some visitors, The Dog starts sniffing at the pile of steel again. I grabbed a stick and flipped some steel off. This time a Lowland Copper head comes shooting out ! A small 500 mm one. He came darting out straight at the two girls, our wives. They ran off screaming . At the same time the snake turned back to the steel and went up inside a length with a welded up opposite end . I blocked the opening and tipped him into a cut in half plastic 200lt drum that was close . We let him go after a few minutes into some long grass nearby and that was that. No sign of him hanging around since then.

I'm just hoping I don't get one in the shed.
One Blue tongue made his own way in then out again at the other end .
There is a lot of places to hide under in the shed.

Rob

Beardy
10th December 2018, 07:35 PM
I had a visit this morning from old mate and he sampled one of my chickens

He was on his way when done

dusteater
11th December 2018, 12:27 AM
Is that why they say that snake tastes like chicken :oo: