PDA

View Full Version : It always looks easier on youtube

woodtryer
23rd September 2018, 12:46 PM
I had an off cut of what I think was blackwood. it measured about 120mm x 120mm x 120mm so decided I would turn a 3 sided bowl that i had seen on a wood turners youtube channel. Anyway, as usual it looked a whole lot easier on the video but i decided i would put up some photos of my efforts.

Unfortunately the final sanding is not that great as i missed some tear out that i didn't see until photo time.

Peter.

Pat
23rd September 2018, 01:00 PM
Peter, youtubers have the luxury of editing out any issues, if they want to appear to be better than they are.

Reality is, practice is the key as with all woodworking. Find offcuts of pine or other softwoods in the correct dimensions and turn a few examples.

I find that my fingers will find tear out easier than my eyes, so I check with my finger tips often.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2018, 04:25 PM
If it is Blackwood, trouble with tear-out isn't surprising. It's renowned for it.

You also don't say what tools you used; I find that Blackwood's far more amenable to scraping than cutting, given tools of "equal" sharpness. Personally, with this wood I'll always use a scraper for the finishing cuts!

All that aside, it looks like you had no insurmountable problems with the form; good job! :2tsup:

woodtryer
23rd September 2018, 05:29 PM
That skew, i used bowl gouges but by the sound of it i would have been better off to finish with a scrapper. Thanks for the feedback.

Peter

Nubsnstubs
24th September 2018, 01:08 AM
Peter, don't consider yourself alone in that matter. If I don't see at least 2-3 scratches on any of my stuff, I look harder at it to find those elusive scratches. I'm never disappointed......... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Paul39
24th September 2018, 02:49 AM
Woodtryer,

Nice piece. You might try hand spot sanding with 200ish grit sandpaper liberally wetted with whatever finish you are using. The close to the same color dust & finish fills in the pits. After sanding give it a wipe with T - shirt material and let dry overnight, then light sanding with whatever grit you use for final sanding, followed by wipe on coat or coats of your finish.

tony_A
24th September 2018, 09:14 AM
Nice little bowl Peter.
I pretty much always use a combination of negative rake and sheer/shear scraping to finish blackwood. These techniques take super fine cuts and with a bit of practice can clean up nearly all tear out. If the piece is being troublesome wetting the surface with a wet cloth will help.
Reed Gray (Robo Hippy) has a vid or two on Utube that explain both techniques.

Tony

woodtryer
24th September 2018, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think in future I will use the scrapper to finish off the blackwood. I will have a go at some light spot sandon the weekend to see if I can fix up the little blemish .

Thanks again , Peter.