PDA

View Full Version : Arlec Table Saw from Kmart at $99

ghopper
12th October 2005, 11:11 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I really don't be much woodwork excite making the odd kids table and chairs.

Does any one know about the Arlec Enforcer table saw, I saw it on sale at Kmart for $99. Is it any good ?

Thanks

Trav
12th October 2005, 06:04 PM
nope

Trav
12th October 2005, 06:07 PM
just kidding - we are more helpful than that. Sometimes. OK, occasionally.

I don't know the saw itself, but I would suspect that for $99, you would be better off with a halfway decent handheld circular saw and a straight edge. Go to bunnings and get a GMC CS and a long piece of aluminium angle - that will be much more useful I think.

Clamp the angle to the timber you are cutting and run the saw along this edge.

If you wanted to pay a little more, the triton powered saw table may be worth a look.

Trav

Iain
12th October 2005, 06:32 PM
The only plus I can give to Arlec tools is that they make Ozito look good :eek:

Trav
12th October 2005, 06:33 PM
speaking of K-mart, I saw a cattledog from BigW advertising GMC stuff the other day. I didn't realise that they sold the prestigious blue stuff. Perhaps another place to price match with Bunnies...

TP

Geno
12th October 2005, 09:13 PM
I can't comment on the saw you mention, but I have an old 7 1/4 inch Arlec circular saw.
It has been flogged mercilessly for 4 years, including doing all the cutting for a 50sqm deck and pergola. It has only ever required new blades.
Obviously, you get what you pay for so you can only expect $99 worth of quality. If it is not flash who cares for $99?

chylld
14th October 2005, 11:49 PM
nope

agreed :)

a table saw is a very dangerous machine, before you buy one i'd suggest you read this page (http://69.64.173.24/Accidents/search.htm) and see what mistakes people have made at table saws so you don't have to. it'll also give you a better idea of the safety equipment that really should come standard with every saw, like splitters, blade guards, featherboards etc.

i'd also second trav's suggestion of getting a decent circular saw and a straight edge. you can make things even easier by making a sacrificial table that's essentially like a grid, i.e. mostly air so you don't have to worry about the saw blade tearing up your proper table.

savage
15th October 2005, 08:07 PM
G'Day All,

bought myself an Arlec Enforcer air compressor and nailer, just out of warranty the compressor gives up the ghost but the nailer is going strong. Also I've had an arlec battery charger for just on 23 years and that's still going, so I think it's a bit of a lucky dip. But as far as a tablesaw I'd be a bit wary, cos' if the whirly bit in the middle comes off it'll cut more than wood!:D ..Save up and buy a better one it's a quality/$ thing!...:)
savage(Eric):)