PDA

View Full Version : QLD Gidgee blanks wanted

Rum Pig
12th October 2018, 01:15 PM
Hi All
I'm back into turning pens again, who knows how long for this time.
I have a friend that wants some pens made from QLD Gidgee, Dose anyone have approx 10 blanks that they would be willing to sell to me?

Thanks for your help

mummatoni
12th October 2018, 11:55 PM
hey matey i can make you 10 blanks easily matey if that help

keep on plugging away

crowie
13th October 2018, 10:11 AM
Try this gent on the Gold Coast
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/138411-gidgeetimber

RobbieB
13th October 2018, 10:36 AM
There is a gentleman here in Townsville recovering old Gidgee fence posts and selling them for firewood. I picked some up and was going to cut some up this weekend to see what recoverable timber they have. Happy to cut some blanks out of them for you if you can't source them elsewhere - Mummatoni is also a Townsville girl and may have scored some of the same stuff.
Cheers, Robbie.

mummatoni
13th October 2018, 12:58 PM
yes as said by Robbie B, he is spot on with all he said but one minor thing
.no missed the fence post guy. would've been good to see though. lol
my hubby is a winton boy so on one his trips home to visit his family. i saved him getting too bored and i got him to get me some. as living in winton always had the good gear laid on. one thing miss living in the city no green gidgee as she fun to turn. [emoji3]

keep on plugging away

Rum Pig
13th October 2018, 03:17 PM
If possible could i get some of your Gidgee please, My friend is from Winton so it would fit so perfectly:U:2tsup:. I will send you a PM later.

crowie
13th October 2018, 06:59 PM
There is a gentleman here in Townsville recovering old Gidgee fence posts and selling them for firewood. I picked some up and was going to cut some up this weekend to see what recoverable timber they have. Happy to cut some blanks out of them for you if you can't source them elsewhere - Mummatoni is also a Townsville girl and may have scored some of the same stuff.
Cheers, Robbie.

What a crying shame to just burn such beautiful timber....

Bit far for me to do a quick drive to the fencing bloke....

Well done folks for your helping each other and recycling this beautiful timber...

I'm currently working on a farm truck for my grandson and have used gidgee for the radiator, bonnet and cabin roof...

mummatoni
13th October 2018, 10:03 PM
i agree gidgee is top wood for woodworking but also torn as makes the best coals for a fire ever too. enjoyed many a cold night around gidgee to stay warm. and nothing last long and hot as her hey.

keep on plugging away

mummatoni
13th October 2018, 10:07 PM
What a crying shame to just burn such beautiful timber....

Bit far for me to do a quick drive to the fencing bloke....

Well done folks for your helping each other and recycling this beautiful timber...

I'm currently working on a farm truck for my grandson and have used gidgee for the radiator, bonnet and cabin roof...
443883443882hey must be the weather i am working ona loader in these type trucks never ever desired venturing out to wood working been happy with just woodturning and pen making until now.

keep on plugging away

Luke Maddux
14th October 2018, 05:29 AM
Graham Naughton in Tin Can Bay, QLD basically makes his living selling Gidgee. He will send you whatever size you want, and, as of 2016 was selling it at a rate of $50k per cubic meter, which sounds like a lot but really is pretty fair for Gidgee.

his business is called Loggerheads Outback Timbers, and his website is:

loggerheads.com.au

Ive dealt with him half a dozen times and he's great to deal with and always delivers. This is the person who mills and dries Terry Gordon's Gidgee for his planes.

Hope that helps,
Luke

Rum Pig
14th October 2018, 10:17 AM
Thanks Luke
I will save his site for another day. The fact that Mummatoni's gidgee is from Winton is perfect. My friend is from Winton so it could not be more suiting.

Necromancer
23rd October 2018, 12:35 PM
If there is any left I would love to get my hands on some more of my favourite wood. Love it.

Euge
23rd October 2018, 05:08 PM
I can supply gidgee (for pen blanks or larger) to if you live in or near Melbourne of SE of Melbourne. Figured too if required

Necromancer
28th October 2018, 05:11 PM
Work in the CBD, can travel. Love this wood.

Euge
29th October 2018, 11:03 AM
PM me with what you want for pens or larger pieces.
I have some blocks in various size I can bring to Melb. Price depends on weight, size & figure.
Other desert species avalable too.