PDA

View Full Version : Lathe on Sale at ALDI

aldav
13th October 2018, 03:28 PM
Anybody seen the latest Aldi catalogue with the wood lathe? Methinks they can look forward to some court days if any of the buyers take the picture as acceptable practice.

Spyro
13th October 2018, 03:41 PM
Anybody seen the latest Aldi catalogue with the wood lathe? Methinks they can look forward to some court days if any of the buyers take the picture as acceptable practice.
Eh, considering the wood looks stationary (despite the misleading on button), it should be fine. Just ALDI's weird visual interpretation on how to use a chisel :D
"First, you skewer your wood with something that looks like a lathe. Then, hold your chisel with both hands like a sword, and stab your wood to death with it. Please make sure to wear steel toe boots for.... eh, some reason, and try our sauerkraut on special in aisle 7"

aldav
13th October 2018, 03:46 PM
Have another look at that chisel Spyro. Got one like that in your woodturning set? How much chance do you think you would have of controlling the chisel if the lathe was on? :o :C :no: Yep, you'd be wearing it.

Spyro
13th October 2018, 03:50 PM
I don't know anything about woodturning, and I think it's safe to assume that ALDI doesn't either :D
I'm sure it has some asscover legalese in the instructions.
"If you are alive remove the chisel from your forehead with care, then use a disinfectant (aisle 4)"

justonething
13th October 2018, 04:32 PM
Just plagiarising Baroness Margaret Thatcher: This lady set's not for turning. But I definitely will get a set of these chisels though.

rwbuild
13th October 2018, 04:44 PM
The same lathe was sold as a GMC 20 years ago. A mate gave me this same lathe 3 years ago, had crook bearings in it, replaced those, its ok for making something cringe worthy, thats all.
In reference to the photo, Bosch did a similar thing with an earlier version of their cordless circular saw which showed the blade mounted in reverse, I spied this at Total Tools, Penrith. Mentioned it to the sales staff, they hadn't even noticed it (?????) but within a week, the saw had been pulled off the market, presumably for new packaging.

smiife
13th October 2018, 04:55 PM
You only get what you pay for .........:doh:
Trouble is if someone was interested in starting woodturning
And bought this kind of lathe , they would be disappointed
very quickly, I hope no one actually buys one .........:no::no:
Would be just a waste of money !

China
13th October 2018, 05:28 PM
That lathe is only for display purposes, you don't really think any body would actually use it

KBs PensNmore
13th October 2018, 09:51 PM
The GMC vergin was my first lathe, I did a fair bit on it and learned it's limitations very quickly. I still have some of my first turning. I paid $102 for it and $35 for my first set of chisels. My next lathe cost me $1500, a Symtec 1500, with a lot of attachments, but no chisels.
Kryn

mummatoni
13th October 2018, 10:10 PM
The same lathe was sold as a GMC 20 years ago. A mate gave me this same lathe 3 years ago, had crook bearings in it, replaced those, its ok for making something cringe worthy, thats all.
In reference to the photo, Bosch did a similar thing with an earlier version of their cordless circular saw which showed the blade mounted in reverse, I spied this at Total Tools, Penrith. Mentioned it to the sales staff, they hadn't even noticed it (?????) but within a week, the saw had been pulled off the market, presumably for new packaging.yes exact thing i thought when i saw it eas gmc run. lol

keep on plugging away

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th October 2018, 09:43 AM
The GMC vergin was my first lathe, I did a fair bit on it and learned it's limitations very quickly.

I know of a couple of blokes who have turned some quite respectable stuff on one of these. A four-poster bed comes to mind. Mind you, these blokes don't consider themselves woodturners... they're cabinetmakers who needed to make some round pieces as cheaply as possible.

A case of skill overcoming the limitations of the tool, I guess.

For someone who wants to take up woodturning as a hobby? This is not the lathe you are looking for.

Now, if you're looking for a cheap linisher, one of these with the "bed" (pardon my sniggers) removed and a faceplate permanently mounted does a pretty good impersonation for the price. Just sayin'. :innocent:

Spyro
14th October 2018, 10:58 AM
If I had any space whatsoever in my shed I'd buy one of those lathes, just to make some basic tool handles.

For all the crap I hang on ALDI I often buy some tool οr shed consumable from them, and it's usually ok for the price.

And sometimes you strike gold, like those telescopic tree loppers I bought years ago and they've been extremely capable and still going strong.

Fumbler
16th October 2018, 03:10 AM
i agree, someone who knows nothing about turning will do the double, then end up in trouble due to the fact they are selling the chisels along side the lathe. they will say that "I thought these were wood turning tools as pictured with the lathe"

I was going to buy this when GMC had it, but missed out. I would've loved it at the time. Now i know more (supposedly), but back then I wish I had.

Ryobi have released one very similar recently and for sale in Bunnings but twice the price.

Mobyturns
16th October 2018, 08:27 AM
Sadly in Australia it is not illegal to sell unsafe products, our legislation is reactive not proactive so a case of buyer beware.

There are not enough injuries reported or attributed to these "clone" lathes so no product safety recalls or refunds. Perhaps no reported injuries equates to a "safe product" as far as the regulators are concerned.

aldav
16th October 2018, 09:07 AM
i agree, someone who knows nothing about turning will do the double, then end up in trouble due to the fact they are selling the chisels along side the lathe. they will say that "I thought these were wood turning tools as pictured with the lathe"

Good to see that somebody gets it Fumbler. :2tsup: It's not that the lathe is unsafe it's that their depiction of its use is unsafe. That chisel is totally inappropriate for use on a wood lathe and the fact that they're selling the lathe and those chisels in conjunction with one another will result in people being misled. Accidents and injury are the likely result. That was the whole point of the initial post. I couldn't give a stuff what anybody thinks about the quality of the lathe.

DaveTTC
16th October 2018, 01:12 PM
And yet I've seen some prominent YouTuber's turning with ordinary wood chisels

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

clear out
16th October 2018, 01:49 PM
And yet I've seen some prominent YouTuber's turning with ordinary wood chisels

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Don Lee was filling in for Richard Raffin at Mittagong a few decades back and said you can turn with anything.
To illustrate the point he used an axe as a skew.
Don used to play the country bumpkin and boy did he suck the knowalls in.
Off course as he doesn’t have a Facebook or instcringe page he never existed.
H.

Fumbler
17th October 2018, 02:44 PM
Don Lee was filling in for Richard Raffin at Mittagong a few decades back and said you can turn with anything.
To illustrate the point he used an axe as a skew.
Don used to play the country bumpkin and boy did he suck the knowalls in.
Off course as he doesn’t have a Facebook or instcringe page he never existed.
H.

Someone filling in for Richard must know what they're doing and are skilled with the most dangerous of wood turning tools and often shied away from due its propensity to cause damage. Yes you could use these tools effectively as scrapers or like a skew but a novice turner that will buy this lathe will not have the knowledge of this and as such will end up hurt. I even avoid the skew sometimes.

its only one smart lawyer and these guys are cactus.

DaveVman
19th October 2018, 01:21 PM
I've never done any wood turning and I have so far avoided the whole area because it is another tool/expense etc.
Plus I have plenty to do and I can learn wood turning in future years. Not to mention that I have a serious shortage of space.
To use it, it would have to be something I could lift onto the table outside for use.

Then the other day, my wife showed me this ALDI sale. Initially the tool rest looked plastic and so I dismissed the idea but looking again, probably it is not plastic.
Would it be worth the price for someone like me?
I guess it would not be good enough for serious work but would it be OK to learn on? Say make a few handles and learn to make small items? Salt and Pepper shakers? Some small bowls? May be some small table legs? It wouldn't be something I would use very often. (unless I get bitten by the bug).
Would this one be OK for pen making for example?
I know nothing about wood turning. As I say, I have avoided even looking into it so far.

For example, my wife would like me to make some napkin rings before Xmas. So I was thinking about how I might do that with the drill press and a sander. But if I had this I would give turning a go.

Also, if I did get this, I have no idea what chisels to buy for a beginner.

I appreciate, I would still need to acquire a much better one in the future if I wanted to get into turning properly. But I'm not looking for that just yet.

DaveVman
19th October 2018, 02:16 PM
P.S. I notice that this lathe doesn't have a chuck. Does that matter?

BobL
19th October 2018, 02:36 PM
I guess it would not be good enough for serious work but would it be OK to learn on? Say make a few handles and learn to make small items? Salt and Pepper shakers? Some small bowls? May be some small table legs? It wouldn't be something I would use very often. (unless I get bitten by the bug).

You will learn something maybe even useful with it but if you like wood I'm pretty certain you will get the bug pretty quickly.
Lathes are also magnets and black holes for accessories.
What you want to avoid is spending any money on accessories that only fit the WorkZone lathe and may not fit a better lathes.
Lathes are also massive wood dust makers so you need good extraction especially if you get the bug because you will spend hours doing it.

Also, if I did get this, I have no idea what chisels to buy for a beginner.

Just to get you started doing small stuff I would look at a basic set like this.
https://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning/chisels-and-lathe-tools/wood-turning-chisel-sets/chisel-set-hss-3pce-wooden-box.
I still have my set and I use it a lot to turn plastics.

RossM
20th October 2018, 05:25 PM
Here is a warning from our pommy friends:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/aldi-workzone-lathe-dangerous-t99842.html

arose62
20th October 2018, 07:46 PM
DaveVman,
my first lathe was a clone of this, from SuperCheapAuto.
You can get an adapter to fit a chuck on it, but....

The biggest fix (apart from buying a better lathe) is to bolt the whole thing down to a sturdy base. Otherwise, as soon as you use the tailstock the bed 'hinges' where it joins the flimsy metal of the head.

If you go ahead, with eyes open and expectations low, it can be a way to test whether you are going to really get into turning, and then you'll really appreciate your next lathe!

DaveVman
20th October 2018, 07:47 PM
OK so I bought one anyway. I wont have time to unbox it for at least a week and probably 3.
Even then I don't have any chisels or face shield. However at some point I will be able to give it a go and I can report my experiences with it.

I did some research and it seems it certainly is limited - both in accuracy and what it can handle. But what can one expect for $150?

I got in just before closing today and there was a stack of them. I suspect that if you go to ALDI often enough you might find these hang around in some stores and at some point you will be able to pick one up for $100.

One reason I eventually decided to get it, was that one of it's weaknesses it also a strength. There are a couple of YouTube videos pointing out how it vibrates dangerously if you put anything heavy or unbalanced in it. It does not have a cast iron frame. Two guys pointed out that this also means it can be stowed on a wall and carried into position to be used. In my little shop that is very important.

I am concerned about the face plate but I'll figure something out.
I didn't even know what a face plate was yesterday.

One quick question I have already - is construction pine OK for testing/learning on?

DaveVman
20th October 2018, 08:03 PM
DaveVman,
my first lathe was a clone of this, from SuperCheapAuto.
You can get an adapter to fit a chuck on it, but....

Thanks for your input.
Where can I find an adapter for it?

The biggest fix (apart from buying a better lathe) is to bolt the whole thing down to a sturdy base. Otherwise, as soon as you use the tailstock the bed 'hinges' where it joins the flimsy metal of the head.

Initially I'll clamp it to my assembly table with several clamps. I'm not sure I'd really describe that as a sturdy base but it certainly has some mass.
I do have a solid pine cabinet I could bolt it on to. (Incidentally a pine cabinet donated to me by a kind forum member). I have been thinking about reperposing this cabinet due to a lack of space. However I could bolt the lathe to it and put something heavy inside it and see how that goes before I do anything else with the cabinet. So I have some options.

If you go ahead, with eyes open and expectations low, it can be a way to test whether you are going to really get into turning, and then you'll really appreciate your next lathe!
Yes - this sums up my attitude to it also.
Without this option it would have been many years before I gave wood-turning a go to be honest.

arose62
20th October 2018, 08:06 PM
Free wood is best for learning :)
Now that you have a lathe, you'll spot free wood everywhere!
Pine is soft, so it'll teach you to keep your tools really sharp, or it will crush and tear out. But yes, I've made mallets, handles and gravels from pine.

If you do the above, or wands, legs, dibblers, custom sized dowels etc., you won't be using the faceplate, so you can postpone that worry until you start thinking of bowls and platters.

I bought a Nova chuck, so I bought the adapter at the same time. Hare & Forbes, I think...

Allan at Wallan
20th October 2018, 08:20 PM
The better proposition would have been to join a local woodturning club where you would get sensible advice on the brand and quality of lathes,
the proper choice of quality chisels and be taught to turn safely and within your limits. Unfortunately, without proper advice and suitable training,
you may have an accident causing serious injury and this would certainly dent your confidence.

BobL
20th October 2018, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't bother getting a chuck for it, in fact I would not buy ANY accessories for it till you are well underway.
You can learn heaps of basics just using a drive spur and by the time you have got beyond that you'll be ready to move up.

I'd be getting something like an Armadillo face shield, costs a bit more but is one of the best value face shields around and will be useful for all sorts of use around a workshop.

KBs PensNmore
21st October 2018, 12:50 AM
Hi Dave, I too started with a clone of this lathe, GMC version. The chisels I bought were the Supercraft Woodturning set,
similar to this set. 444437

Being a low carbon steel, they don't really hold their edge well, so you'll get plenty of practice sharpening them. Make sure you get a decent grinder as well. The grey stones supplied on most grinders will be OK for this set of chisels.
Later on you'll when you upgrade to a better setup, you'll need a white grinding wheel for grinding the tool steel that the better chisels are made from.
I did quite a bit of turning with this set and the lathe. It really needs to be bolted to something solid, I used some 32mm bench top for mine. To get some extra weight into your cabinet, get some bags of cement, sometimes you can get ones that have gotten damp/wet quite cheaply, or cement bricks, and place in the bottom.
Because the spindle and tailstock aren't hollow, they're not really suitable for turning pens, unless you want to turn them between centres.
The toolrest is a cast unit and a bit long for turning the smaller stuff, you'll need to have about 3mm between the spinning wood and the tool rest, so you'll need to either make some yourself or get a welder friend to help with this.
The Nova chucks are excellent and the best part is that you can keep it for the next lathe, just change the insert to suit the new lathe. Later on you can get different sized jaws for various tenons, which come in handy for the bigger jobs.
As others have mentioned, join a Club, to learn the correct way of maximising the use of the various tools, self taught bring bad habits, which are hard to break and could be dangerous.
My first lathe set up cost me about $150.00, then the bug bit really hard, my next lathe was $1500, but came with a lot of accessories, a decent chisel can be around $90 and upwards.
You'll need some form of Dust Extraction, something a bit better than a Vacuum Cleaner, get the best you can afford, it'll pay in the long run, as you won't be cleaning up shavings and you won't get as much in your lungs etc. Read BobL's reports in the Dust Forum: DUST EXTRACTION

section.
Kryn

DaveVman
21st October 2018, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the good advise. My current idea is to clamp it to my assembly table which gets wheeled out to the car port.
I'll soon find out if this is insufficient.

Hopefully dust in lungs is not too much of an issue out there. The shavings get sweeped up along with the leaves.

I do have a good dust extractor but I don't yet have ducting for it. but in time I'll get that properly implemented.

I like the idea of bolting it to some kitchen bench off cut then clamping that to the table.

I haven't looked into any clubs. I did look into men's sheds but they are all set up for retired guys and not for us working classes so I gave up that idea.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fumbler
21st October 2018, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the good advise. My current idea is to clamp it to my assembly table which gets wheeled out to the car port.
I'll soon find out if this is insufficient.

Hopefully dust in lungs is not too much of an issue out there. The shavings get sweeped up along with the leaves.

I do have a good dust extractor but I don't yet have ducting for it. but in time I'll get that properly implemented.

I like the idea of bolting it to some kitchen bench off cut then clamping that to the table.

I haven't looked into any clubs. I did look into men's sheds but they are all set up for retired guys and not for us working classes so I gave up that idea.

DaveVman,

as I said in an earlier post I would've bought one if they were around when I first started, and realistically, it's a cheap way to find out if you like turning. The lathe (unless you go the whole $2k-5k range) will be the cheapest part of the experience. Tools, chucks etc mount up as I have since discovered that it's much easier to have multiple chucks than to painstakingly have to change the jaws, and at close to 2-300 a pop it gets very expensive very quickly.

Machinery House (Hare and Forbes) have a good range of inexpensive chucks, plus inserts to fit any lathe and beginner sets of tools. Then you may get the bug of making your own.

you may one day look at it and say "what a clunker" but to start out with, I think you have done well padwan.

younwill have to post pics of your first turned project.

labrat
22nd October 2018, 08:37 PM
I go to a woodcarving/woodwork group that has a store room half full of these "lathes" all with different brands. It is normally along the lines that grandad or dad has passed away and we would like to donate it to your club so it can be of use. I think it is often that they have tried to sell it on gumtree and had no takers and the group I attend is closer than the council dump. If you try and do the kiss test on any of these lathes you will see where the custom of kissing a person on the forehead started. I have an old 4 speed Woodfast lathe the old green ones and it is 10 times the lathe that the aldi style lathe is and it does not try to kill you. You see them come up for very little money as no one wants a lathe without EVS control.
All the best.

DaveVman
24th October 2018, 12:15 AM
I assembled it. It's pretty clunky. I have no idea of its performance. I don't even have any chisels.

How important it is to get the centers exactly aligned?
There isn't any adjustment for this as such. I loosened the 4 bolts holding the bearing and pulled and pushed it until I got it aligned when looking from the top but it is slightly out when looking from the side.
See photos.
Is this acceptable?

The door to change speeds is opened and closed awkwardly with a bolt. However if you don't put this bolt back in properly then the micro switch doesn't engage and so you can't turn on the motor.

I changed the belt to the lowest speed and turned it off and on a few times to make sure it actually runs.

I'm saving for some chisels and a face shield. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181023/99fc69857f94741be3b7efc48865cb3f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181023/cd141e13b8b4e185ad66c5ed276351bf.jpg

arose62
24th October 2018, 07:22 AM
The centre points look OK to me. You know they should be aligned, and the lathe will probably flex in use so that any effort to get them aligned will be somewhat undone.

I rounded the door bolt head, and drilled a cross hole in it for a pin, so it was like a race car :), pull the pin and open the door, instead of undoing the bolt each time.

DaveVman
24th October 2018, 03:33 PM
I rounded the door bolt head, and drilled a cross hole in it for a pin, so it was like a race car :), pull the pin and open the door, instead of undoing the bolt each time.

Thanks for the good idea.

It just dawned on me that maybe I couldn't get the centers perfect with the belt on. Perhaps it's possible while the belt is off.

As you say, probably everything else moves a bit under load so it wont stay perfect.
It sounds like it's good enough now to have a go anyway.

I don't know what size chisels I should buy. The 3 from Carbatec recommended to me on this thread are described as small chisels. I don't know if that's appropriate or not.
My wife wants me to turn a cake stand. That's basically a platter on a small pole with a foot.

Spyro
24th October 2018, 09:01 PM
Came across this by accident and it reminded me of this thread :U

https://youtu.be/tDpoAMLLR_0
https://youtu.be/tDpoAMLLR_0

aldav
24th October 2018, 09:19 PM
Came across this by accident and it reminded me of this thread :U

Yeah, waste of money buying a lathe when you already have a drill, vise and spanner in the shed. Should have just bought the chisels! :D Do you have a music making device in your shed? Perhaps one of our Russian members can send you something appropriate to play in the background? :C

Spyro
24th October 2018, 09:28 PM
Aaaaah, yep, no idea what you're talking about.

smiife
26th October 2018, 07:50 PM
WOW!.......I cannot belive that a crappy $150.00 lathe would generate
so much interest:o , over 10, 000 views , and lots of comments too !:doh:

DaveVman
27th October 2018, 12:06 AM
Yeah but it's MY crappy lathe.
My local ALDI has 4 left so you can still join the crappy lathe club with us.

arose62
27th October 2018, 08:34 AM
Hi Crappy Lathe Club Member,

I don't know what size chisels I should buy. The 3 from Carbatec recommended to me on this thread are described as small chisels. I don't know if that's appropriate or not.

Those are mini chisels, aimed at pen-makers. Other folks offer "starters kits", for example Gasweld do a couple - one for $49, and one for $129. My approach was consistent with my lathe, buy something cheap to learn on, and then buy seriously when I had some knowledge. In particular, you not only need to learn to turn, but also to sharpen your tools, and sharpening consumes the tools, so I'd rather grind away at something cheap than at something expensive while I am learning.

My wife wants me to turn a cake stand. That's basically a platter on a small pole with a foot.

That's a 2- or 3-part project - faceplate turning (the foot and the top platter), and spindle turning for the support pole/piece. I found spindle turning easier to learn, as the grain is consistently presented to the tool, and the diameter of the piece is (generally) smaller.

Starting with the post, the first tool you need is a roughing gouge, to take the wood from whatever shape, to round. A big, sturdy roughing gouge is pretty much a no-brainer, and generally, the bigger the better (but more $$). Then a spindle gouge to add whatever fancy curves you (or your wife) want.

A post above makes fun of spanners, but I've used them quite often as sizing tools, and if you are going to be fitting the post into holes in the foot and platter of your cake stand, then accurate, regular tenons are going to be needed, and there's more than one turner out there who's sharpened the leading edge of a spanner to make a sizing tool.

I'm not sure I'd try the platter part on your Crappy_Lathe_That_You_Should_Not_Have_Wasted_Your_Money_On; I don't even think you could physically fit a piece of the appropriate size (Note to self, next lathe needs swivel head), so maybe turn the post, and place a glass platter on top?

This post had me search back through these forums, and I started with my SuperCheapAndNasty Crappy Lathe in Jan 2003, and I still have, and use, my very first turning. When I started pen turning, I made my own tools, using concrete nails.

Very first turning on left, beat-all on right was also done on the same lathe as yours.

My set of small turning tools, made on my first Crappy Lathe

DaveTTC
27th October 2018, 09:09 AM
Alignment

Side to side will be effected by a plate under your tail stock. Your bed rails likely have flex but if you change the plate under your tail stock (or add one under whatever it is that is there atm) to a longer one it will reduce play. The longer and snugger it is the less play.

To get up and down alignment you can shim the tail stock or feedstock as the case may be and according to lathe design. In your case the headstock may not be adjustable in height.

The shim idea was passed on to me by a well known turned and I used it on my Nova 3000

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

dextadog
27th October 2018, 11:03 AM
To the so described crappy lathe buyers. The cash you have saved by not buying a vicmarc or its equivalent you could buy as a noted turner advises, a half inch heavy bodied spindle gauge (irish grind) and a three quarter inch skew. (Say Henry Taylor or as good). You could also get a set of eight super heavy duty Chinese tools to practise sharpening on. One other item that will assist you, this is good advice that has helped me, is a taunton press dvd by another bald headed turner titled "turning toys". Regards

smiife
27th October 2018, 08:23 PM
Yeah but it's MY crappy lathe.
My local ALDI has 4 left so you can still join the crappy lathe club with us.

Errr ! I might pass on the offer , but thanks for the invite ........:goodpost:

arose62
28th October 2018, 07:09 AM
Here's a timely thread which you can cut and paste in a year's time:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/woodlathe-decision-carbatec-vs-hafco-133855-post1302728#post1302728

until then, enjoy your new lathe.

RossM
28th May 2020, 04:18 AM
These are back again at Aldi.

Did anyone buy one in the past, and if so what was the experience?

doragus
28th May 2020, 10:59 AM
I did Ross. My first try at turning in many years. It did enough to tell me I wanted to be a turner before the motor gave up the ghost about a month after I bought it. Aldi were fine with it though and gave me an immediate refund. Just had to take it in to the store.
Now I have a bit of turning under my belt I would not recommend the lathe. The tailstock and banjo were flimsy and the locking mechanisms on them were too hard to use effectively and quickly. I can't remember what I paid for the Aldi but my recommendation would be to go straight to a reasonable midi. After I returned the Aldi I got the Hare and Forbes Hafco WL 14V with a scroll chuck for less than $700 delivered (a couple of years ago now). Been very happy with it ever since. In a way the motor failing on the Aldi was a blessing in disguise because, if it hadn't, I would have been stuck with the lathe not being able to justify spending the money upgrading to something better.
Chris

Spyro
28th May 2020, 04:58 PM
Well it can't be worse than what I made for a "lathe"... basically a old chinese bench grinder, some plywood and a bolt from Bunnings :D

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Workshop/i-9zjb2jx/0/969769e8/X4/IMG_20200314_181658-X4.jpg

and this is some stuff I made with it, which is all very basic as far as woodturning goes, but it's really all I wanted to make.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Workshop/i-SSVRsZv/0/cc8f92c9/L/DSCF5507-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Workshop/i-tKzsmPb/0/08c2049d/L/IMG_20200331_130958-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Workshop/i-kKvJLtx/0/85f28fef/L/IMG_20200426_160922-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Workshop/i-jfJ6FMd/0/ad1bd5a0/L/IMG_20200510_194517-2-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Workshop/i-N3M3rQ7/0/172f1379/L/IMG_20200408_205553-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Workshop/i-LSmCBwF/0/b4904375/L/IMG_20200326_105033-L.jpg

So yeah it all depends on what you want to make, sometimes a really basic tool might be enough.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Workshop/i-XQbmzBZ/0/e1a559c1/XL/IMG_20200314_181650-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Workshop/i-JHnx9qh/0/a6545baf/XL/IMG_20200510_104805_1-XL.jpg

DaveVman
29th May 2020, 09:14 AM
Hold my beer!

(I love the work you have done on that home made machine, BTW).

I bought one of these ADLI lathes last time as you will know if you have read this thread.
Let me put together a video of my thoughts about it. I'll also show the unboxing and assembly so you can see exactly what you are getting.
I'll try to edit this and publish it as quickly as possible. Stay tuned.

DaveVman
29th May 2020, 06:54 PM
OK done.
Is the ALDI Workzone wood lathe worth it?
You can watch the video here: YouTube (https://youtu.be/KN6Uv5Us1Ts)

I bought one of these ALDI Workzone lathes last year. It has also been sold under different brands including Roybi. I share my thoughts about it from the point of view of an absolute beginner. For example I point out that there is more than the lathe that you need to tool up with. At the same time I show a sped up sequence of the unboxing and assembly.
Since I had to edit and publish is quickly it ended up longer than I would have preferred because the more editing it down to be shorter the more time it takes. Hopefully it's not to long and is useful to anyone considering buying one of these wood lathes.
Feel free to disagree and leave comments here or on the YouTube video or both.

Thanks for watching.

Spyro
30th May 2020, 05:45 PM
OK done.

I bought one of these ALDI Workzone lathes last year. It has also been sold under different brands including Roybi. I share my thoughts about it from the point of view of an absolute beginner. For example I point out that there is more than the lathe that you need to tool up with. At the same time I show a sped up sequence of the unboxing and assembly.
Since I had to edit and publish is quickly it ended up longer than I would have preferred because the more editing it down to be shorter the more time it takes. Hopefully it's not to long and is useful to anyone considering buying one of these wood lathes.
Feel free to disagree and leave comments here or on the YouTube video or both.

Thanks for watching.
Geez it's huge! My LASTYC1000TM* is about 1/3 of that thing. I'd have to angle grind the ALDI one down to half to fit it in my shed.
I'll take my time to watch your video tonight, I dont mind that it's a little bit long :)

*LAthe STYle Contraption

Spyro
31st May 2020, 02:53 AM
OK done.
I watched the video, subscribed :)