PDA

View Full Version : A busy week.

Old Croc
14th October 2018, 07:17 PM
I don't often post much these days, barely get time to read the posts, but I had a day off today to catch up. Here are some of the commission's that came in this week. 1st was the stand for the crucifix for an old lady off her brothers coffin. 2nd was the cheese platter using the supplied tile from Italy. 3rd was 4 cheese knives to match one I made previously, but they had to be thinner handles. The platter and knife handles have to be sprayed with lacquer, but low and behold, the heavens opened up and we got 27 mm/ 1.1 inches of rain. Most out of character.
Rgds,
Crocy.

powderpost
14th October 2018, 09:15 PM
Good to se you are busy.. helps to stave off old age for a while... :-)

Jim

Nubsnstubs
15th October 2018, 12:58 AM
Hey Croc, good looking stuff there, Bud. What is the wood the plate is made of?

All your stuff is here............Jerry (in Tucson)

Old Croc
15th October 2018, 08:24 AM
Hey Croc, good looking stuff there, Bud. What is the wood the plate is made of?

All your stuff is here............Jerry (in Tucson)
Ta Jerry,
I forgot to mention that they are all made out of Queensland Maple, my favourite timber. The platter shows the difference between the sapwood and the heartwood and the knife handles come from the basal sapwood to get the good figure. Sorry my photos don't show it, but the cross has a feature that comes in some Maple called wavy shimmer, you can just see it in the LH cross bar.
The other part of busy week was collecting and cutting around 100 odd pen blanks of 12 different species to take over to Jerry next week.
I think there are some nice plate and vase blanks of maple there as well.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Dalboy
15th October 2018, 08:30 AM
Three nice projects. it is always nice to get into the workshop and spin some wood

BobL
15th October 2018, 09:47 AM
Good work Croc and better to have more projects than time. My take is when I run out of projects and ideas its time to move onto something else. :)

Nubsnstubs
16th October 2018, 01:23 AM
Croc, when you get here you'll be getting more shop time. I'm gonna put you to work.

Maple called wavy shimmer.. Would that be the same as Fiddle Back? ......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Old Croc
16th October 2018, 09:08 AM
Croc, when you get here you'll be getting more shop time. I'm gonna put you to work.

Maple called wavy shimmer.. Would that be the same as Fiddle Back? ......... Jerry (in Tucson)
Jerry, the knife handles are fiddle back with the change in grain between 3 and 6 mm, 1/8 and 1/4 inch apart. If you look hard at the left-hand side of the cross you can see the waves, usually about 12 to 25 mm, 1/2 to 1 inch apart. Shimmer is not a change in the grain, just a feature that we get in Qld Maple and Maple Silkwood, both Flindersia species. Fiddleback is usually only in the base of the tree or where the trunk changes direction, but shimmer occurs in the straight trunk but not often enough.
Lucky us North Queenslanders.
Rgds,
Crocy.