PDA

View Full Version : Poppies, a making story

dr4g0nfly
16th October 2018, 06:50 AM
I was asked by a friend if I could make 100 poppies for the Royal British Legion branch he's a member of. I turned up a dozen and gave them to him as a sample to show around before committing him (and me) to any great expense, they said 'Go Ahead'.

I had some difficulty getting enough sycamore but eventually found someone with a felled tree who would sell me 3 slices 2½" thick. These I cut down into the widths I needed and have started cutting then into blanks.

Next, working as batch production I started turning the backs, and then the fronts.

The tenon on the front is cunningly disguised as (what will be) the black button in the centre of the poppy.

Turning finished I had to remove bits to shape the petals,

I made a Jewellers saw bench and clamped it to my bandsaw, so i could work in the natural light.

dr4g0nfly
16th October 2018, 06:54 AM
Sanding, smoothing off the sawn edges and finalising the shape of each petal.

I made a jig to speed this up but it still took several hours to do all 48 of them.

They ended up looking like this.

Colouring.

Here they are with the red stain applied.

So here are 38 to go with the original 12 of the final poppies.

Half way done.

I've already started the next batch, 50 more blanks cut and corners removed, ready to start the backs tomorrow.

dr4g0nfly
16th October 2018, 06:56 AM
And that's number 100 turned.

Closely followed by a damn good clean up. It's frightening just how many shavings are created making 50 shallow bowls.

Now to cut the shape, sand and colour.

tony_A
16th October 2018, 08:24 AM
Quite a project there dragonfly, and for a worthwhile cause. Well done.

Tony

Nubsnstubs
16th October 2018, 10:25 AM
Hey Fly, great job, but why didn't you use your bandsaw? I probably already know the answer, but I'd rather hear it from you. I used to do jewelry, and know how clean a jeweler's saw can be, especially getting into the petal separations. But, man, that's gotta be a slow process. ................. Jerry (in Tucson)USA

smiife
16th October 2018, 07:53 PM
Hi dragonfly , well done , I bet you were glad to see no. 100 finished
They look great , and for a good cause :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
17th October 2018, 05:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.
I don't post my work here very often but I thought these worthy of a posting as we share the cultural memory of Armistice Day.

Hey Fly, great job, but why didn't you use your bandsaw? I probably already know the answer, but I'd rather hear it from you. I used to do jewelry, and know how clean a jeweler's saw can be, especially getting into the petal separations. But, man, that's gotta be a slow process. ................. Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Jerry,

Thanks for the question.

The platters are quite thin, about 3mm, my bandsaw blade is a 3TPI with a very aggressive set for ripping wood along the grain. So no way would I get the 3 teeth in the wood at once as recommended for sawing. I was also worried that I'd shatter too many of them to make the extra time saving a worthwhile bonus.

Nubsnstubs
17th October 2018, 01:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.
I don't post my work here very often but I thought these worthy of a posting as we share the cultural memory of Armistice Day.

Jerry,

Thanks for the question.

The platters are quite thin, about 3mm, my bandsaw blade is a 3TPI with a very aggressive set for ripping wood along the grain. So no way would I get the 3 teeth in the wood at once as recommended for sawing. I was also worried that I'd shatter too many of them to make the extra time saving a worthwhile bonus.

Well, that answer makes more sense than what I thought might be the reason. I figured the jewelers saw you were using would give you a better cut at the petal split, but not tearing them up by using the bandsaw makes a whole lot more sense. Smarter move than I would have done....... Thanks.. .............. Jerry (in Tucson)USA