PDA

View Full Version : Doug3030's Open Shed Day for 2019

doug3030
23rd October 2018, 02:24 PM
Following on from the success of my Open Shed Day 2018 just over a week ago, we have decided to do it again in 2019.

I am not going to set the date just yet to avoid potential clashes with other events. One possibility that I have heard is that the Melbourne TWWW Show will be moved back into October and back to the Showgrounds. That is a good thing, if it happens, but I would not want to have my Open Shed Day on the same weekend for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

So at this stage all I will say is we intend to hold the day in October, after Daylight Saving has started or possibly early-to-mid November if necessary to avoid clashing with other larger events. :no:

Everyone who attended the 2018 event and anyone else who is interested in getting updates as they are posted, if you look above this post on the right hand side of the screen there is a toolbar with a small dropdown box called "Thread Tools". If you click on that you will see the "subscribe" option which once you have subscribed, you will get email notifications that the thread has been updated. If that is too hard, just make a post in the thread any you will be subscribed anyway. :2tsup:

This year it was great to see people making new friends and talking about woodwork, helping each-other and generally enjoying the day. Hopefully 2019 will be even better. :)

Euge
23rd October 2018, 04:48 PM
Good to meet you the other day Doug. :)
If I'm around I like to attend but it may clash with other committments (eg IWCS meeting in Canberra in Oct).
Please keep me posted. All the best,
Euge

doug3030
23rd October 2018, 09:07 PM
Good to meet you the other day Doug. :)
If I'm around I like to attend but it may clash with other committments (eg IWCS meeting in Canberra in Oct).
Please keep me posted. All the best,

It was good to meet you too Euge.

As I said above I am trying to avoid clashing with other events when I set the date for the Open Shed Day. If you can let me know the dates for the IWCS meeting I can try to avoid it.

Having said that it seems to be a busy time of the year and try as I might I am sure I will not be able to please everyone, but I can try.

Euge
23rd October 2018, 11:13 PM
Doug, as best I understand it the date for Canberra IWCS meeting is 3rd week of October 2019, (Mon 14th to Fri 18th October )
I will need to be there a couple of day before and after so 12 October to 20 October 2019
Understand you cant please everyone.

doug3030
24th January 2019, 10:02 PM
Ok after checking multiple events calendars, waiting for the new organizers of TWWWS to announce their dates for their Melbourne Show, avoiding other events that some of our potential attendees might wish to go to, waiting for the football seasons to finish and bearing in mind that it is impossible to please everyone - Lock this in to your calendars.

Doug's Open Shed Day for 2019 will be on Sunday 6 October 2019.

Save the date.

:bbq2:

DaveTTC
24th January 2019, 11:52 PM
Just checked my work schedule. Meant to be in Sydney that day but with a little adjustment I think I can change it and attend yours 1st.

Putting it in my calendar now [emoji6]

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Simplicity
25th January 2019, 06:22 AM
Ok after checking multiple events calendars, waiting for the new organizers of TWWWS to announce their dates for their Melbourne Show, avoiding other events that some of our potential attendees might wish to go to, waiting for the football seasons to finish and bearing in mind that it is impossible to please everyone - Lock this in to your calendars.

Doug's Open Shed Day for 2019 will be on Sunday 6 October 2019.

Save the date.

:bbq2:

Did you also check lunar calendars ?
We will lock in the date too.

Cheers Matt,

doug3030
25th January 2019, 08:41 AM
Did you also check lunar calendars ?

6 October 2019 is a first quarter Moon at 3:47am. I wouldn't take the chance of holding it on a full moon.:2tsup:

Just one of the reasons it is a week earlier this year. :wink:

doug3030
23rd June 2019, 03:37 PM
Only 15 weeks to go to the premier social event on the Melbourne Woodies Social Calendar. :2tsup:

Mark your calendars if you haven't done so already. :wink:

Sunday 6 October at my shed in Hoppers Crossing.

Never mind WoodDust or the Timber Tools and Artisans Show, THIS is the event to be seen at. :D

Who's coming?

Simplicity
23rd June 2019, 09:38 PM
Only 15 weeks to go to the premier social event on the Melbourne Woodies Social Calendar. :2tsup:

Mark your calendars if you haven't done so already. :wink:

Sunday 6 October at my shed in Hoppers Crossing.

Never mind WoodDust or the Timber Tools and Artisans Show, THIS is the event to be seen at. :D

Who's coming?

Doug,
You should be in the marketing business seriously,

Cheers Matt.

justonething
23rd June 2019, 09:51 PM
I'll come, all the way from across the ditch.

Simplicity
23rd June 2019, 10:13 PM
I'll come, all the way from across the ditch.

It’s not that far, you could Row that on a good week [emoji849].

Euge
24th June 2019, 11:11 AM
Hi Doug, I'd like to come but cant be 100% certain due to a large IWCS event in Canberra a few days later.
What can I bring? Euge

doug3030
24th June 2019, 11:25 AM
What can I bring?

Thanks for asking Euge.

I generally work out the details like that a bit closer to the event, once we get an idea of how many will be turning up.

In previous years we have provided a sausage sizzle for lunch and people bring additional food if they so desire.

Generally it's bring your own drinks and chairs, just to make sure we have enough chairs.

There may be a "show and tell" and/or a timber swap and possibly other activities if there is any interest.

The main thing is I want people to know that they do not have to bring anything if they do not want to. I don't want anyone to feel that they should not come because they can't afford to contribute.

The rule is come if you want to, bring something or bring nothing. Either way you will be welcome and looked after and nobody will judge you.

Turn up, be yourself, swap stories, experiences. timber or tools and have a great day.

Euge
24th June 2019, 11:58 AM
Thanks Doug, that's very welcoming and fair arrangement.
I will try and be there but will confirm closer to the event. Thanks for the invitation. Look forward to seeing you again and meeting some new woodies.

DonP
24th June 2019, 06:40 PM
Hi Doug3030

Been thinking about attending - guess I should just bite the bullet and commit.

I will be attending.

seeya
DonP

doug3030
24th June 2019, 08:59 PM
I will be attending.

Thanks Don

DaveTTC
28th June 2019, 06:39 PM
I think I will be there plus kids

Dave TTC
The Turning Cowboy

Turning Wood Into Art

Stevebaker142
28th June 2019, 06:54 PM
Hi Doug,

I will attend, it will be good to meet everyone.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

doug3030
25th August 2019, 06:34 PM
Only six weeks to go! :oo: :o

It's time to start working on a few details.

Lets start by looking at who's coming. I have spoken to quite a few members off forum and had a lot of them tell me they are coming but so far surprisingly few have posted it in this thread.

SO far we have:

Confirmed: :2tsup:

Doug (Doug3030) and Jools

Matt (Simplicity) and Sally

DonP

Stevebaker142

Possiblys: :?

Euge

Dave (Davettc) and kids

So who else is thinking about it?

We had a great day last year, so don't sit on the fence. Check your calendars and lock the day in. This is a family-friendly event, partners and kids are most welcome.

:bbq2::PANCAKES::trumpet::ausflag::hpydans:

Bohdan
25th August 2019, 07:40 PM
Count me in.

Kuffy
25th August 2019, 07:46 PM
I'll go along

justonething
26th August 2019, 10:40 PM
I'd have liked to come, but I'm having an operation in the week before so best if I don't commit myself. Have fun without me.

doug3030
26th August 2019, 10:50 PM
I'd have liked to come, but I'm having an operation in the week before so best if I don't commit myself. Have fun without me.

I hope the operation goes well for you.
If you like, when I PM attendees with the address, I will include you and if you feel up to it, feel free to drop in, even if it's just for a short visit.
And if you don't feel up to it we can, as you said, still have fun without you. :)

To update, we have:

Confirmed: https://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif

DonP

Stevebaker142

Bohdan

Kuffy

Possiblys: https://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/confused.gif

Euge

Dave (Davettc) and kids

So who else is coming?

Pagie
2nd September 2019, 10:15 AM
me.

DaveInOz
2nd September 2019, 10:53 AM
Please add Michelle and I as possibles :)

doug3030
15th September 2019, 10:11 PM
Three weeks to go til the premier event on the Melbourne Woodwork Social Calendar.

Everyone is invited to bring along something for a Show and Tell. Maybe a project you have made or are working on, an interesting tool or piece of timber or anything else woodwork-related.

If you have any surplus tools or timber to swap or sell, bring them along. They might just be what someone else is looking for.

Bring yourselves and a sense of humor and a few stories to share.

We are asking people to bring their own folding chairs if they have them. We do have chairs but probably not enough to go around, so please help out if you can.

More details next week.

To update the attendance list:

Confirmed: https://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif

DonP

Stevebaker142

Bohdan

Kuffy

Pagie

Davein OZ and Michelle

That bloke who turns up at GTG's whose name we dare not mention.

Possiblys: https://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/confused.gif

Euge

Dave (Davettc) and kids

Brian (Homey)

So who else is coming?

:bbq2::bbq2::bbq2:

Oldgreybeard
16th September 2019, 08:16 PM
Definitely will be there - Bob and Maureen

Euge
16th September 2019, 10:12 PM
Hi Doug, my attendance is looking less likely. I hoped that I would be in city the day of and around your BBQ.
Now it seems I will be too far away and distracted by other important matters to attend.
Likelihood of my attending is only 10-20%, if I were to quantify it. Sorry mate! :(
I know you will all have a GREAT TIME. Maybe next year mate.

Euge

doug3030
29th September 2019, 12:30 PM
OK, one week to go. :2tsup:

Time to start filling in the important details.

The GTG will run from 11am to 4pm. Don't forget it is the day that Daylight Savings kicks in so don't get caught out. :C

As has happened in the past I will be providing a basic sausage sizzle lunch. Others are welcome to bring along food to share or to satisfy their own dietary requirements. Sally and Matt have indicated that they will be bringing along some of Sally'amazing baked goods. Feel free to contribute in any way you like.
:bbq2::bbq2:

Those of you who have attended my gatherings previously will know that there is no expectation that anyone is required to contribute. You never really know anyone else's personal circumstances so nobody will be passing judgement on whether anyone else contributes or the value of their contribution. Some people like to be generous and others are not in a position to contribute at all. Everyone is welcome and I would not like to think that someone chose not to come because they could not afford to contribute something. All are welcome and NOBODY will be judged.

Because this thread has been around for a while and some people have not posted in it for a while, I ask for everyone to confirm their attendance again so that we have an up to date list and a better idea of numbers for catering etc. Just a quick post in the thread or by PM saying you are still coming will suffice. Maybe an idea of what you might be bringing towards lunch if you choose to do so. If you are not coming but have earlier indicated that you would be here a short post advising of this would be appreciated too.

Attendee numbers are likely to exceed available seating so please bring your folding chairs if you have something suitable.

Everyone is encouraged to bring along something for show and tell - an unusual tool, a small project you are working on, even something you want help or advice on. unusual timber or anything of interest to a group of woodies.

Also if you have any excess tools or timber you wish to try to swap or sell bring them along. Pagie said he had some excess handsaws,but I'm not sure he will be bringing them.

That's the basics for now. More fine details to follow later. Please don't forget to confirm your attendance. :?

Looking forward to a great day. :2tsup:

Pagie
29th September 2019, 06:14 PM
I will bring a couple and maybe some timber.

Oldgreybeard
29th September 2019, 07:47 PM
Maureen & I will be there. Would you like Maureen to knock up a pasta salad? Will see if I have some suitable timber for the swap table.

Bob

Oldgreybeard
29th September 2019, 07:58 PM
Doug, for those who don't know or have forgotten you address (like me!!) will you PM your address.

Thanks
Bob aka oldgreybeard.

Simplicity
29th September 2019, 08:04 PM
Looking forward to it
See ya there

Cheers Matt

doug3030
29th September 2019, 09:11 PM
Maureen & I will be there. Would you like Maureen to knock up a pasta salad? Will see if I have some suitable timber for the swap table.

Doug, for those who don't know or have forgotten you address (like me!!) will you PM your address.

I'm sure Maureen makes a great pasta salad and I'm sure it will be appreciated. :2tsup:

PM's with te address will be sent this week. :)

doug3030
30th September 2019, 09:24 PM
Those who have not already done so - please reconfirm your attendance or otherwise so we have a better idea of numbers etc. I will be sending out my address and mobile number in case you get lost by PM in the next day or two. For planning purposes we are very close to the APCO service station on the corner of Morris and Reserve roads Hoppers Crossing.

Just a few little items of shed etiquette so we all know what to expect -

We live right at the end of a Court. As is the case in most courts this means a lot of driveways in a small area so it may not be possible for everyone to park at the front door. Please respect the neighbors' driveways. I have to live here after everyone has gone home.

Once you have parked, come up the driveway and enter through the garage, through the open rolla-door. Do not knock on the front door - there will probably not be anyone in the house to hear you.

Please bring your own chairs if you can. We have a limited number of spare chairs for those who may not be able to bring their own for whatever reason.

There will be some fridge space available to put your drinks in, but it may fill up quickly. Alcohol is permitted but common sense is to prevail. If you choose to drink do not expect to play with any toys with sharp bits or spinning parts

There is no need to dress up to visit my shed. Dress in your shed clothes or at least something comfortable that you don't mind getting dirty in if the opportunity arises. Enclosed footwear is recommended.

Tablesaws, bandsaws, jointers, thicknessers, drill presses, milling machines, vises, forges, anvils and lathes or anything else made of steel or cast iron are not considered as suitable places to put your drink down.

We are providing a basic barbecue lunch, Some other attendees have indicated that they are bringing other food to share. It is your choice whether to bring any food or not. Contributions of food are appreciated but are entirely your own free choice and we will not be keeping score of who does or does not contribute and I trust that nobody else will either. We never truly know what someone else's circumstances are and I do not want anyone who cannot afford to contribute to feel at all uncomfortable or unwelcome, or even worse, not come at all.

It is a condition of our lease that smoking is not permitted in the undercover areas. Common courtesy also rules out smoking around food. I respect your right to smoke, if you are so inclined, and ask you to respect other people's rights to not be forced to inhale the byproduct of your pleasure. If you wish to smoke please go into the side yard and stand in the vicinity of the clothes line, which is in a separate area from where the gathering will be. Please dispose of your butts thoughtfully. If I see smoke or flame coming from any part of your body or anything you are holding and you are not near the clothes line I will assume you are on fire and you will be extinguished in the most expedient manner available. Smoke emitted by barbecues and chainsaws will be considered as a normal function of their operation and no action will be taken against them unless they become out of control.

Behavior of children is the responsibility of the accompanying parent.

Above all, have fun, meet new friends, swap ideas and get inspired.

Bohdan
30th September 2019, 09:49 PM
See you there. Will bring a domino jig for demo.

Kuffy
1st October 2019, 06:42 PM
I'll be there. I can't think of anything that would be of interest to others for swap or show n tell so it'll likely be just me.

doug3030
1st October 2019, 11:34 PM
Weather forecast for Sunday is a nice warm 27 degrees and partly cloudy. We can only hope they get it right for once.

Rain or shine it will be a great day regardless.

DonP
2nd October 2019, 04:12 PM
Doug,

The missus ( Lorraine ) and I will be there.
Lorraine will look after her own food due to dietary needs.

seeya Sunday
DonP

doug3030
3rd October 2019, 11:19 AM
To update the attendance list:

Fully Confirmed: :2tsup::2tsup:

Doug3030 and Jools

Bob (Oldgreybeard) and Maureen

Pagie

Bohdan

Kuffy

DonP and Lorraine

Awaiting final confirmation https://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif/:?

Stevebaker142

Davein OZ and Michelle

Possiblys: https://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/confused.gif :?

Euge

Dave (Davettc) and kids

Brian (Homey)

Today I am sending out my address to those who are fully confirmed and will send it to others once they have posted final confirmation of their attendance in the thread or by PM

doug3030
4th October 2019, 10:51 PM
The new UPDATED list:

Fully Confirmed: :2tsup::2tsup:

Doug3030 and Jools

Bob (Oldgreybeard) and Maureen

Pagie

Bohdan

Kuffy

DonP and Lorraine

Awaiting final confirmation https://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif/:?

Davein OZ and Michelle

Possiblys: https://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/confused.gif :?

Euge

Brian (Homey)

Apologies: :rolleyes: :oo:

Stevebaker142

Dave (Davettc) and kids

All those who have fully confirmed have been sent my address and mobile by PM or other means. Anyone else who is coming will be sent this information on full confirmation.

doug3030
5th October 2019, 01:28 PM
This time tomorrow we will probably be turning the BBQ on :bbq2:

It's not too late to get your name on the guest list.

Chief Tiff
6th October 2019, 08:38 AM
Hope youse all have a great day today!

Euge
6th October 2019, 09:42 AM
Again Doug, my apologies for not being able to be there today.
I do hope you all have a fantastic day and you don't burn the snags Doug with all the distractions around you :U

best wishes Euge

doug3030
6th October 2019, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the well wishes Euge and Chief Tiff. Gabriel and That bloke whose name we do not mention have also contacted me with apologies and wishes for a great day for all of us.

It's 23 degrees here right now, no wind or rain. Looks like being a great day. We have sufficient indoor and outdoor options to survive anything the Melbourne weather throws at us.

Looking forward to a great social day.

doug3030
6th October 2019, 12:08 PM
Things are happening.

Oldgreybeard
6th October 2019, 07:06 PM
Thanks Doug and Jools for hosting another great day. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Box Hill RSL on 28th October. More details next week.

Bob

Simplicity
6th October 2019, 07:16 PM
Thanks Doug an Jools.
For being fantastic hosts with the mosts.
Also thanks for free timber guys [emoji6].

Cheers Matt an Sally.

doug3030
6th October 2019, 08:52 PM
Well that's over for another year. :2tsup:

With eleven people in attendance it was a bit smaller than last year but just as enjoyable.

Thanks everyone for coming along. It was a great group of people to share the day with.

While the Ladies gathered on the back deck the blokes went to the shed and congregated around my half-finished workbench. I had to assemble the giant dovetail joining the shoulder vise arm to the long end-cap to show that it fits. Then I was told I left no room for any glue in the joint :rolleyes:. I hope I can do the rest of the dovetails on the bench so nicely.

There was a lot of interest in some of the upgrades I have done since the last Open Shed, such as my drill press sanding station and the Ivac gear I have purchased to get my dust extraction automated. Bohdan demonstrated his Domino jig which has some innovative and clever features.

After lunch Pagie challenged me to square up a piece of a Gidgee branch about 220mm long with the machinery I had in the shed. Everything had been pushed into the corners to make space for the GTG but I managed to get out a belt sander and large bandsaw, flattened one side on the sander then ran the flat side up the bandsaw fence and then cut the other two sides parallel. Job done in under 10 minutes including setup :D.

I am not sure how much of the timber or tools people brought actually got swapped but I know that a lot was left on the table for me when everyone had gone home.

Did I mention that there was plenty to eat? Thanks everyone for making it a great day.

doug3030
27th March 2020, 10:26 PM
Ok, I reckon by the time gatherings are allowed again there will not be enough of 2020 left to fit in an open shed day, so we will take the year off and see how we go in 2021.

Jools and I wish everyone a safe 2020. Keep washing those hands and keep your distance in the shops and survive. Happy toilet paper hunting.

thea84
30th March 2020, 02:56 PM
thank