PDA

View Full Version : The Orb of Mystery

Pat
25th October 2018, 11:20 AM
A simple sphere of Myrtle Burl & resin on a separate plinth of NSW Rosewood scrap.444765

Technical details: Diameter 67mm from a blank of 70mm. I cut the block to 70mm cube, then added 50mm pine tenons.
Turned partially by hand and partially with the Vermec Sphere jig. I rough the blank by removing material from the 1/4 lines at 45°, then get the final shape with the jig. This is a more time efficient method then just using the jig. I trim the nubbins off with a skew, in scraping mode.444764
Sanded to 500# abranet then EEE
Finished with Whittle Waxes Evolution Matte, to allow the material to shine, not the finish. 444766

woodPixel
25th October 2018, 12:38 PM
I like these little spheres.

They invite people to pick them up and inspect them, like a good box.

The ones with burl that's been pressure hose cleaned look incredible.

FenceFurniture
25th October 2018, 08:05 PM
G'day Pat

I imagine you must have clothed on the Evolution Matte? I have just used part of my Satin sample on a flat piece of Rengas (interesting timber) and I used a 5mm nap Mohair roller. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow (separate thread).

I do like the way it didn't darken the timber very much at all - as you rightly say - let's show the timber, not the finish.

Btw, those samples pots are worth $8 each. The oil has the same base as PolyX I would say - exactly the same Fly Spray-like smell. They are both made in Chermany too.

Pat
26th October 2018, 07:09 PM
Hello Brett, my reply below.

G'day Pat

I imagine you must have clothed on the Evolution Matte? White, lint free cotton mill ends, with the piece off the lathe. I have just used part of my Satin sample on a flat piece of Rengas (interesting timber) and I used a 5mm nap Mohair roller. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow (separate thread).

I do like the way it didn't darken the timber very much at all - as you rightly say - let's show the timber, not the finish.

Btw, those samples pots are worth $8 each. The oil has the same base as PolyX I would say - exactly the same Fly Spray-like smell. I didn't notice a particular odor, but if it's faint, it has to compete with various odor's in my shed :; They are both made in Chermany too.

NCArcher
26th October 2018, 11:32 PM
I like it Pat :thumbup1: