PDA

View Full Version : Hafco wl - 14v woodlathe ???

GEEBEAN
27th October 2018, 11:40 AM
Has A Forum Member Purchased one of these Lathes, I'm seeking, Info./Help I Can't
afford to Buy a Pup, For the features & price, Below AU$550+tax, "i can find this amount."
that's My Limit.!!! i Downloaded the Operation Manual
Speed 450 - 1800, 900 - 3850, Two ranges from an easy Belt Re-Position, Infinite Speed Control,
& Reverse, with same Speed Control, 12 Position indexing, apart from using my
Scroll Chuck.!!! It will swing 350mm Bowl over bed, & 286 over banjo, has MT2 tapers in spindle & tailstock quill
470mm spindle turning.!! ... Has Rubber Feet,? i feel these will not assist in
Dampening Vibration.!! ... I've been turning for 2 1/2 years on an Old Record Power Lathe, would
you consider the HAFCO A STEP UP.???

Thanks All.

Fumbler
27th October 2018, 06:30 PM
Yes, I have just bought this very lathe. I love it, it doesn't have very much torque but perfect for what I intend to turn. I haven't fixed the lathe to the table but would recommend doing so as it can dance when roughing and out of round timbers.

i may upgrade later and add the extension bed but for now 450 centres are just fine.

i too had a minimal budget and was more drawn to the EVS than anything, and I've rarely moved the belts down to the slower cog.

if u sign up for there online purchase you get $50 off so makes it GST free.

here it is mounted

GEEBEAN
27th October 2018, 08:56 PM
Thanks Fumbler for the Heads Up, Low speed should give you more torque, once the comm. on the armature is run in/smoothed, etc
you'll probably get close to 2000rpm. in low range.!! ... There exists @ 30x3.5 Nylock nuts, just turn the Nylon back to bottom of 3.5 thread depth,
tape across opposite end, drill a 1/2" deep hole in a 1 1/2" round or square board, sized not to split the timber when the nut is pressed into the board
with your vice.!! Epoxy between nut flats & timber hole, it's now a glue chuck.!! Nuts cost $5 or $6 each, if making a number of small lidded boxes for sale or
gifts, every time it's back on the lathe, it's concentric, ...Please forgive my Rambling i use 16 every time i make a Chess Set, i'm making more all the time.!! Saving Time.!!