PDA

View Full Version : Black Wattle bowl

MAPLEMAN
30th October 2018, 09:18 PM
Timber is Acacia Mangium sourced from Bramston beach,Northern Queensland
Only just found this bowl that has been stashed away in my belongings for a few years now
Thought is was worthy posting...MM:)

brainstrust
30th October 2018, 09:31 PM
luv it. Black wattle and golden are fine woods :rolleyes:

Mobyturns
31st October 2018, 07:57 AM
Very nice, love the rim detail. Sadly to many wood turners and wood workers in FNQ turn up their noses to "wattles" & to much of it has been windrowed & burnt.

MAPLEMAN
31st October 2018, 11:01 AM
Very nice, love the rim detail. Sadly to many wood turners and wood workers in FNQ turn up their noses to "wattles" & to much of it has been windrowed & burnt.Very true...this Wattle was in fact salvaged from windrows...around 100 acres of tropical lowland rainforest cleared for cattle production...astounding...Nth Silky Oak/Briar Oak/Black Bean/Black Oak/Blush Silky Oak/and Black Wattle were some of the species recovered...MM

Mobyturns
31st October 2018, 12:44 PM
Very true...this Wattle was in fact salvaged from windrows...around 100 acres of tropical lowland rainforest cleared for cattle production...astounding...Nth Silky Oak/Briar Oak/Black Bean/Black Oak/Blush Silky Oak/and Black Wattle were some of the species recovered...MM

Criminal isn't it! The clearing for King Ranch at Tully must be one of the worst. More forest in Australia has been cleared for agriculture than was ever "clear felled" for forestry milling operations.

MAPLEMAN
31st October 2018, 12:55 PM
Criminal isn't it! The clearing for King Ranch at Tully must be one of the worst. More forest in Australia has been cleared for agriculture than was ever "clear felled" for forestry milling operations.Yep,beyond criminal...the huge Silky Oak and Black Bean stumps that were burnt,along with god knows what else,would make one cry!
And the 'remnant' buffer areas that were left on this property ended up being smashed by concurrent cyclones and eventually engulfed by weeds...the poor cassowary will be extinct sooner than later...fair dinkum :no:...MM

smiife
31st October 2018, 07:35 PM
Very nice MM, what was the size and finish used,
Looks very nice , well done :2tsup:

MAPLEMAN
31st October 2018, 08:25 PM
Very nice MM, what was the size and finish used,
Looks very nice , well done :2tsup:I think around 400mm-450mm wide and has reasonable depth to it too...i'll measure it accurately tomorrow...mirotone finish...MM

Faulko
1st November 2018, 07:15 AM
Looks great, especially the rim detail.

bruceward51
1st November 2018, 08:17 AM
A very different timber to the plant known as Black Wattle in these parts which I think is Acacia decurens. While the timber is nice it almost always cracks during drying and may be one very good reason Acacias have a bad name.

Could you explain a little on how the rim decoration was achieved? It is very effective. I like the piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mobyturns
1st November 2018, 10:06 PM
Yep,beyond criminal...the huge Silky Oak and Black Bean stumps that were burnt,along with god knows what else,would make one cry!
And the 'remnant' buffer areas that were left on this property ended up being smashed by concurrent cyclones and eventually engulfed by weeds...the poor cassowary will be extinct sooner than later...fair dinkum :no:...MM

I'm very familiar with the Bramston Beach area as we used to regularly visit the Plantation Village until it closed & I have regularly worked around there since. I've surveyed along many of the roads leading to the various beach communities and have watched their transformation from forest to grazing / agriculture and the reverse in a few instances.

Having to work in those areas after TC's was not fun and particularly disorientating after Larry & Yasi. Friends who have lived on their banana farm at Mission Beach for over 40 years were amazed to discover a subdivision on the hills behind their property after Yasi. They did not know it existed until they could see lights that they had never seen before. With the devastation of the rainforest and the riparian vegetation one could see well beyond the "normal" vistas and discover new sights.

The botanist Len Webb (see the Len Webb Collection housed at Griffith Uni) did a fair bit of research on what he termed the "cyclone scrub" around Innisfail and the Eubanagee Swamp and the damage and recovery / regeneration from Cairns to down to Silkwood after TC Agnes in 1956 - Len Webb Ecological Images Collection (http://web.archive.org/web/20091001045832if_/http://www.griffith.edu.au/ins/collections/webb/)