PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Table Leg Advise

pach
9th November 2018, 09:18 AM
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of making an outdoor table our of Rosewood (it will sit under a covered pergola do not fully exposed).

I dont have enough material to make the legs out of rosewood and was contemplating using other timber and laminating with say a 10mm skin of rosewood.

Any issue ? Can I use something like construction pine as the main legs to be skinned or what do you suggest ?

auscab
9th November 2018, 11:33 AM
I did that with some dry 100 x 100 treated pine ( could have been 90 x 90 , what ever the standard is ) verander posts a builder used on our house . He did a front verander and deck on our 1950s weatherboard .
I covered them with 10 mm Jarrah on 4 sides . Glued on with two pack colour matched with oxide colours .
The pine can move around a lot but this held up and remains looking good 15 years later . Some one else owns the house now . I think the day someone notices that will be when it needs replacing . Well seasoned dry stuff to glue it to is the key, and good glue.
Rob

woodPixel
9th November 2018, 02:52 PM
+1 treated pine. Perfectly fine. Merbau if you want heavy :)

I've done this for a few tables now. Skinned the legs and made "socks" for them. People seem to love it :)

edit: I used TB3 simply because it would be exposed to weather. There is a crappy pine table that was repaired using TB1 and then poly all over, 100% outdoors and weather beaten, it has held up OK/well (7 years -> Time for the fire!)

pach
9th November 2018, 03:03 PM
Great, thanks for your advice, treated pine it is!

pach
14th November 2018, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys,

I am now at the stage of making the legs and thought I would ask your opinion on a few things.

1. How wide do you think the support under the top should be.
2. Do you think 5 degree angle on the legs would work or suggest another?
3. I am thinking of making the legs out of 90 x 45 or thereabouts. Any issues?

I know some of this is aesthetic, but I want to ensure I have enough support under the top (its 20mm thick with another 20mm laminated on the ends to make it look thicker.

I am trying to find the right balance of having enough room to sit at the table and minimise legs hitting the legs.