PDA

View Full Version : Tinting shellawax

rtyuiop
10th November 2018, 02:48 PM
Hi folks,

Anyone have any ideas on whether or not shellawax glow will take any sort of tint? Doing up some Blackwood coffee table legs and hoping to darken them a smidge.

Also considering ebonising, but it sure would be easier if I can just add some black pigment to the finish I was going to use anyway!

Cheers,

Danny

smiife
10th November 2018, 06:21 PM
Hi Danny , can, t see why it wouldn, t work
Could you do a test piece first and try it out :2tsup:
I would be interested to see how you go.......

rtyuiop
10th November 2018, 07:00 PM
Test piece is what I'm planning to do if nobody speaks up to say it's an utterly terrible idea!

China
10th November 2018, 09:31 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

hughie
12th November 2018, 04:43 PM
you can always use BLO

rtyuiop
14th November 2018, 06:21 PM
Gave this a try today - I could detect no colour difference with pigment added to either shellawax glow or aussie oil. Maybe friction polishes just go on too thin? Or possibly because I was using powdered pigment the cloth I was using picked it all up.

Ah well - will look into ebonizing, tinted BLO, and maybe some staining...

rtyuiop
26th November 2018, 05:41 PM
I'll grab some photos when I can move the coffee table to better light (it's in glue up now), but osmo oil stain and then a top coat of polyx seems to have produced a good result!

The blackwood legs were what I would call caramel (on the light side for blackwood) before staining - a single coat of oil stain has turned it quite dark with hints of red. Really happy with it at this point!

rtyuiop
27th November 2018, 06:44 PM
Not a great photo of the legs, but this is the finished product:

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/coolabahburl-coffeetable-2.JPG

They're not quite as dark as the photo makes them look - and the grain is still visible so they still look like timber!

Cheers,

Danny

smiife
27th November 2018, 07:58 PM
Hi Danny , nice legs:U
Well done mate looks like a nice table , :2tsup: