PDA

View Full Version : Moving a VL300 asm

garreth.harms
11th November 2018, 04:48 PM
Hi everyone,

Im hoping someone can help me.

I am going to pick up a VL300 this week and am trying to work out how to transport it. I have googled looking for solutions without success.

Best I've come up with is hiring an engine hoist and lifting it onto a trailer.

Does anyone know the best way to move it? I'm unsure if I can dismantle it, and if so what bits come apart.

Failing that, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to move it whole?

Thanks in advance from me and my back [emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

old1955
11th November 2018, 05:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Gareth. I can’t help with your inquiry but I’m sure someone will be along to give you some advice.

Ross

Optimark
11th November 2018, 06:36 PM
The lathe and stand weigh close to 300Kg, or maybe a bit more. The tail stock can be removed, along with the tool rest holder (Banjo), then there are (I think) 6 bolts that hold the lathe onto the stand, you will need two very strong people to lift this, three at the head end is better, four people is really good.

The stand will need some muscle as well.

I've moved one on the back of my tray back ute; that is how we did it. Make sure you have a mat in the tray or in the trailer, rubber is good, I wouldn't like to use rags, you don't want to damage the lathe. Take the appropriate webbing that will hold things down; the pieces can move quite easily if not properly secured.

If we knew which part of Oz you are in, someone may be able to help or give suggestions.

Mick.

Willy Nelson
12th November 2018, 12:13 AM
Hello Mate
Over the years, I have been invited to move a lot of Vicmarcs
I guess because I am big and dumb
Have move plenty, including my own by myself with the use of good Materials Handling practice and piano trolleys and ratchet straps as tie downs.
I lift one end of the lathe, onto a trailer. I also use plywood to help distribute the load, ease of slide etc.
Then slide the lathe onto the trailer and lift the other end and secure.
I reckon an engine hoist would be a pain, 2 strong blokes can do it safely. Happy to assist if you are SOR Perth
Willy
Jarrahland

garreth.harms
12th November 2018, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I live near Canberra, so a bit far to call on your help JarrahLand [emoji16]

Knowing I can possibly pull it apart if I can't move it whole is great to know. Unfortunately I've got to collect it from Western NSW - 5hr drive one way. So it will just be myself and a mate.

If anyone else out there has any ideas, I'd love to hear them [emoji106]

Cheers

Mobyturns
12th November 2018, 09:03 AM
The main issues to consider are access, any slope? surface type? can you get a trailer or vehicle close to the lathe? & at both ends? These will dictate what gear you will require. Getting them on and off can be quite difficult, more so than anticipated.

If you have a good solid surface to work on at both ends the engine hoist may work but I have reservations that it will be able to reach a sufficient height to load a slinged lathe onto a standard box trailer and stay within its load SWL limits. Manoeuvring the hoist with load can be very difficult on a rough hard surface and positioning it under the trailer has its own issues. IF going this route - please don't use dodgy slings.

Willy's comments re removalists dollies are great. I've done the same with lathes and a Woodfast BS500 bandsaw, and tablesaws. Simple levers of good solid hardwood 3x2's, some dunnage (3x3's) and a little brawn can get the lathe on the stand onto and off the dollies.

IF hiring a trailer go to a hire mob like Kennards and hire a tilt deck trailer - well worth the little extra and reduces the risk of you suffering from potential muscular skeletal injuries . Also use dollies with large dia wheels - available at the green shed & SuperCheap.

Another thing to consider is that there are a number of small operators who specialize in "one off" jobs moving loads for small businesses at quite reasonable rates - small fork lift and trailer, forklift trailers, small tilt deck trucks etc.

Mobyturns
12th November 2018, 09:10 AM
Check out this neat bit of equipment - https://www.makinex.com.au/products/powered-hand-truck

Not suitable for lifting the VL300 as it has a SWL of 140kg approx.

arniew
12th November 2018, 01:01 PM
My VL300 has just been moved again (hopefully for the last time) [emoji848]

Piano dolleys are the go. It’s much easier on a hard flat surface as well. I lift mine with a trolley jack onto the dollies. A ramp could be used rather than lift on the trailer.

Landing it at the new house was a bit of a challenge but we managed with sheets of ply as track on the grass.

It’s possible with two people with some forethought. All the best with it. They are a great lathe. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brainstrust
12th November 2018, 09:33 PM
that is one hell of a turning machine!
are you buying it 2nd hand or new?

quercus
12th November 2018, 09:36 PM
I am in the process of moving my Older Vicmarc VL 300 around, as I am changing it from mechanical variable speed to Electronic, and had to load it into a trailer in the bush and bring it to my workshop in Melbourne. After a slightly dangerous previous experience with a knockdown engine crane (cheap but pretty difficult to manoeveur,) I used a bobcat with fork attachment. (Helps that I own one admittedly).
It was great to get it out of the workshop as the bobcat is relatively small and manoeuvrable. At the other end I used a regular fork truck.
The point I am making is that you could ring a few local bobcat operators (if your shed will allow the clearance) and see if they can fit you in for an hour or so in-between jobs. A medium excavator with a lifting sling would also be a possibility.
If you give someone a bit of notice you may get away with doing it for a hundred bucks. Better than hurting yourself or others, or damaging your nice new machine.

Paul39
13th November 2018, 09:34 AM
garreth,

If this is what you have: https://www.woodworkersemporium.com/Vicmarc_V00766-US/

You could take off the tail stock and banjo, unbolt the headstock from the bed, unbolt the bed from the stand, take the legs out of the stand. All the pieces should be able to be moved by two people.

Some years ago I bought a South Bend metal lathe that was 50 miles out in the bush. When I got there with my Ford Festiva / Kia Pride to you folks, there was a 10 X 20 SB Heavy Ten on cabinet: http://www.wswells.com/photos/serial_no/15128RKX16.jpg Seller asked how I was going to get it home, I pointed to the Festiva, he shook his head and went back into the machine shop.

In had my tool box with me and took it all to bits as above, and stashed all the bits all over the hatchback, leaving room to sit. I had removed the back seats so there was decent room. I left motor in the cabinet. The seller helped me roll the cabinet in the back, and I eased the car up the dirt road on to pavement and stopped at the first gas station and felt the tires, all hot. I put 35 pounds all around and eased it home, carefully, stopping to feel tires twice, all good.

I looked up the weight, 1065 pounds. Full gross for the Festiva is 4 people and 50 pounds baggage. A Federal Aviation Administration standard person is 180 pounds. You may do the math.

The lathe was in good condition but caked with grease, oil, and dirt. I cleaned the cabinet, put it in place, then each part was cleaned, oiled, and put back together. (https://www.faa.gov/)

garreth.harms
14th November 2018, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I collected the lathe successfully yesterday.

A mate and I were able to septate the lathe bed from the stand. That could be lifted by the both of us fairly easily.

Next we put the stand on two lengths of structural pine. We dragged it over to the trailer, lifted one end up onto the trailer, the levered the other end up, whilst pulling the stand. It was surprisingly easy to get it onto the trailer that way, noting that the stand was bloody heavy.

One we were home, did it again in the reverse order.

Once I've got the lathe cleaned up, I'll post a pic or two [emoji106]

Thanks again everyone, I can't wait to get turning [emoji16]