PDA

View Full Version : A step by step bowl turning

La truciolara
14th October 2005, 05:29 AM
Last 1° of October we had an open day at Le Truciolara, one of the attendee, probably a photographer shot this series of pictures from cutting a piece of wood to the finishing of the bowl.
I haven't put any text (yet) but I was wondering if it could be of any interest.
The link is:
step by step bowl turning (http://www.la-truciolara.com/forum.il-legno/Vasea/index.htm)

macca2
14th October 2005, 11:56 AM
Great photos. Text regarding timber, tools, methods, lathe speeds etc would definately be of interest.

macca

dai sensei
14th October 2005, 09:13 PM
Nice sequence. Always looks simpler when someone else does it.

echnidna
14th October 2005, 09:18 PM
Very informative, but you didn't use the lathe in your avatar

hcbph
15th October 2005, 03:51 AM
Nice pictures but one thing jumped out at me. The turner is not wearing either eye or ear protection. Ears aren't so much a worry as eye protection is. I don't know how it is by you, but here it seems everyone is lawyer happy. Anything happens and they want to sue someone. Best to have some statement to the effect to always use the proper protection equipment.

Paul

La truciolara
15th October 2005, 04:42 AM
Very informative, but you didn't use the lathe in your avatarYou are right….
Believe me, this old and wonderful lathe is used on rare occasion to show how tedious it was to pedal and turn at the same time.<O:p</O:p

....The turner is not wearing either eye or ear protection. Ears aren't so much a worry as eye protection is. I don't know how it is by you, but here it seems everyone is lawyer happy. Anything happens and they want to sue someone. Best to have some statement to the effect to always use the proper protection equipment. PaulWe are still an happy country, our lawyers haven’t yet gone to the lace Australia</ST1:p
I once made a demonstration in the US </ST1:pI had so much gear to ware that I was wondering whether the lathe would fly like a rocket.
But…. when I’m alone I do ware a mask, and when I’m on a nasty wood I have eye protection as well.

Great photos. Text regarding timber, tools, methods, lathe speeds etc would definately be of interest.macca I have in.... in Italian. Interested?
<O:p</O:p

Gingermick
15th October 2005, 08:05 AM
One pic I couldn't quite make the tool out, you weren't using a skew on the outside of your bowls were you :confused: I used a roughing tool on one of mine and bent my tool rest.:o I was roughing using a roughing tool. Have since kept everything but my bowl gouges and maybe a scraper away from bowls. And haven't done one for ages, must go do one now.

. Anything happens and they want to sue someone.

That sounds like libel, I wanna sue :)

La truciolara
16th October 2005, 08:44 AM
One pic I couldn't quite make the tool out, ... I have been using only one tool for inside and outside... A bowl gouge. That is what the demo was all about. ;)

Utuk_Xul
16th October 2005, 12:40 PM
I use to not wear eye protection on my smaller pieces until one day something flew off and hit me in da forehead. Eversince I always regardless of size use a full face respirator with impact resistant shield. I can tell ya that it has saved my eyes MANY times even on small seemingly harmless pieces. :-/ You don't regret it until you have an eye injury believe me.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th October 2005, 06:53 PM
One pic I couldn't quite make the tool out, you weren't using a skew on the outside of your bowls were you :confused: I used a roughing tool on one of mine and bent my tool rest.:o I was roughing using a roughing tool. Have since kept everything but my bowl gouges and maybe a scraper away from bowls. And haven't done one for ages, must go do one now.

Nar... I can't afford the air-fare. :rolleyes:

I've always used the full gamut of tools on the outside of bowls, although I normally only use bowl gouges and scrapers on the inside. And the odd "specialty" tools such as deep-hollowers and the like.

I gotta wonder what you were doing to get a catch that bad...? Something wildly out of balance? Tsk, tsk! Roughing the outside of a bowl shouldn't be any different from spindle turning, unless you're keeping flying edges. And then no matter what tool you use, feed it too fast and you will regret it. :D

rsser
17th October 2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks La Truc.

It's easier to see the presentation of the tool edge if the photos are taken with the piece stationery don't you think?

Gingermick - yep, roughing gouges are for spindle work. The roughing gouge for a bowl is a P&N supagouge!

La truciolara
19th October 2005, 04:50 AM
Thanks La Truc.

It's easier to see the presentation of the tool edge if the photos are taken with the piece stationery don't you think? You are quite right, that's why some of the pics have been taken at a 1000th of a second, but then the shavings are hiding the gouge tip :o
Ithought, at least for the first ones, it was usefull so see the "fading effect" while the piece is not rounded, but I appreciate all avice to make a step by step more understandable. (note it was not my intention to do a step by step and I shot all this pics why I was surrounded by many visitors; but no excuse not to have done a good work, sorry :( )

rond
19th October 2005, 03:31 PM
:) Thanks for the pictures it looks all so easy.
At least I can use them as an example as I have never seen much bowl turning let alone having a go
It can be a bit un nerving to me with all these varoius comments from 'Forumland' but I do enjoy reading these as it facinates me by the amount of knowledge out there.