PDA

View Full Version : Aldi - Petrol Line Trimmer 25.4cc & 161cc 4 Stroke Petrol Lawn Mower

Tech123
17th November 2018, 10:33 PM
Hi,

The wife (and rightly so:wink:) thought it was time for me to get back into doing the gardening, or at least cutting the lawns!! So I went and purchased the above items 6 weeks ago from Aldi. However, I have used both items only twice but I am already thinking of returning them given the hassles I have had.

Firstly, the trimmer had 6 plastic trimmer strips which came with it but they all either wore down or didn't stay in the housing. I did use a plastic tie to prevent them from coming out which was around 50% successful:(. I purchased another type (from Bunnings) made in the USA called extreme tough - long lasting - and made by Powerfit. I tried that but although it lasted longer, it still came out of the housing - very frustrating:((. I bought a battery operated one (Fire Storm - el cheapo) many years ago and when I last used it. However, I got it out of the garage and although it isn't as powerful as the petrol one, at least it cut nearly all the grass edges (until the battery died). The trimmer line on this one is on a reel (not separate strips) and feeds out until the line runs out.

Secondly, trying to restart the lawn mower - even though the engine is still warm (not overheating) I have trouble restarting it. I have followed the instructions in the manual provided e.g. mixed the petrol/oil, primed it prior to trying start it etc.

Has anyone here bought either of the items and had problems with theirs? Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Regards
Tech123

apple8
18th November 2018, 07:41 AM
Secondly, trying to restart the lawn mower - even though the engine is still warm (not overheating) I have trouble restarting it. I have followed the instructions in the manual provided e.g. mixed the petrol/oil, primed it prior to trying start it etc.

Regards
Tech123

If your mixing oil and petrol for fuel, that could be a problem. 4 stroke engines need straight petrol. Petrol/oil mix is for 2 stroke engines. And don’t use E10 petrol in small engines, use 91 or 95.

Cal
18th November 2018, 07:44 AM
Why are you mixing petrol and oil for a four stroke motor? Four strokes use regular unleaded petrol like your car, no oil to be added to the fuel.

RobbieB
18th November 2018, 11:14 AM
Stupid question, but - 4 stroke will also have an oil tank, and usually supply the oil for filling said tank in a separate bottle packaged with the mower. Have you filled the oil tank with oil?

Tech123
18th November 2018, 12:31 PM
Hi,

Thank you to the members who kindly replied:2tsup:. I have an apology to make in that when I was typing this up I had a few to drink and got my words muddled up:doh:. I have checked the manual and it states DO NOT use ethanol based fuel - just use unleaded fuel. Thus no need to mix it with oil which I hadn't:rolleyes:. Yes Robbie I had filled the oil reservoir to the level required.

However, my main problems are with the trimmer especially losing so much of the trimmer line:((.

Thanks once again.

Regards
Tech

cava
18th November 2018, 12:57 PM
So I went and purchased the above items 6 weeks ago from Aldi.
There's your problem.

Aldi do some things good, and some things not so good.

KBs PensNmore
18th November 2018, 11:11 PM
Cava, you're close. The way I heard it was "Aldi do some things good, and some but most things not so good".

Kryn

skot
19th November 2018, 06:48 PM
Mower not starting....you may want to check the gap on the spark plug. A few motors I have had over the years that had trouble starting went well after resetting the spark plug gap.