PDA

View Full Version : Guess what?

sandman
15th October 2005, 12:14 AM
Who can tell me please what timber this is? Clues: It grows around the NW Vic & I think it is an Acacia. VERY hard & BRITTLE but has a magnificent finish with Danish Oil.
Looking forward to your replies.
Regards Sandman. :confused:

Cliff Rogers
15th October 2005, 12:29 AM
G'day.

Bloody beautiful.

Looks like she oak of some sort.

Casurina?

dazzler
15th October 2005, 10:49 AM
Hi

Thats easy - Stripiousis Woodiosis Boxii.

Cheers

Dazzler

Baz
15th October 2005, 06:26 PM
I'm with Cliff, gotta be a Casurina.
Cheers
Barry

outback
15th October 2005, 08:28 PM
Radiata pine? :eek:

Auld Bassoon
15th October 2005, 08:48 PM
Great colouring and figuring - what finish?

Nice work on the box too!

Cheers!

AlexS
15th October 2005, 09:17 PM
With Cliff & Baz on this - Casuarina of some sort, commonly called she oak, river oak.

gazaly
15th October 2005, 09:19 PM
Flame sheoak?

RufflyRustic
15th October 2005, 11:15 PM
Definintely Sheoak, though I'd never have said that until seeing some sheoak here today that had a very large amount of white board - sapwood maybe? - as compared to the red heartwood.

Beautiful Box!

Cheers
RufflyRustic

sandman
16th October 2005, 12:28 AM
The finish is Rustins Danish oil (4 coats).
The local guy who cut the fallen old tree up says he thinks it's Ironwood, however, I had some Ironwood & it looked NOTHING like that!
Casuarina/ River Sheoak sounds more along the right path but I would like to know exactly what it is so when I give it as a gift the recipient is going to ask .......you know what! I must say it was like working with a chunk of toffee. But it is amongst the most highly figured timber I have ever worked.
Had enogh to make about 8 boxes from the pieces I had.
Thanks for all your help.
Regards Sandman.

Arron
16th October 2005, 08:41 PM
The rear one of these two little chisel planes is made from 'rose oak', also known as 'forest oak'. It is a casuarina. Grows on the Eastern seaboard.

Arron

echnidna
17th October 2005, 12:54 AM
They are gorgeous Arron!

ian
23rd October 2005, 11:33 PM
The rear one of these two little chisel planes is made from 'rose oak', also known as 'forest oak'. ArronArron
I'm intrigued.
A bevel down chisel plane
In use how does it compare with a conventional bevel up chisel plane?

should move this to hand tools

ian

Arron
24th October 2005, 09:45 AM
Hi Ian, I did show these previously, about a year or so ago. I put them up again because the grain was a pretty exact match with Sandman's. In terms of how well they work - I have never used the front one (which is pretty normal as I have lots of home made tools I have never got round to using), and the back one I have only used for removing glue lines - which was the reason why I made it. I havent used them like a conventional plane for removing wood shavings - I dont see why they wouldnt work although the blade would have to be very sharp which is incompatible with using a tool for utility work like removing glue.

Arron

Toymaker Len
26th October 2005, 11:29 PM
Definitely cassuarina, maybe hairy oak... Umm and can I order one of those planes ?

VEEBULL
27th October 2005, 12:03 PM
Confident the timber is ' allocasaurina torulosa ' Rose sheoak aka Forest Oak .Hairy oak is similar but the ends of the 'rays' are more rounded .

Veebull