PDA

View Full Version : How many chucks?

woodtryer
8th December 2018, 07:34 PM
Just wondering how many chucks most of us have in our collection of woodturning bits and pieces.
I have 3, all Vicmarc. 2 are VM100's one of which permanently has a set of Cole jaws on it and the other is a VM120. My wife seems to think you can get by with just one but i beg to differ :U

Cheers, Peter

Gabriel
8th December 2018, 07:37 PM
Wait til Sturdee chimes in on this one....

I have 4 - got 2 with a secondhand lathe so it doubled my number, however I will buy more as required (by required, I man when I see an excuse to buy one)

Woodturnerjosh
8th December 2018, 08:27 PM
I have six....
Four are VM120's plus there's a VM100 and a VM90.
I very rarely need to change jaw sets but sometimes I'm tempted to buy another one.... ;)

Colin62
8th December 2018, 09:06 PM
I have three. Two Nova (a SuperNova and a G3) and a smaller Jet.

woodtryer
8th December 2018, 10:54 PM
Looks like I'm going to need to do a bit Christmas shopping to catch up to woodturnerjosh :D

China
8th December 2018, 11:15 PM
I have 7 Woodfast, Vicmark, Nova a no name brand and probably 50 home made chucks for various purposes.

NeilS
9th December 2018, 08:40 AM
12+ scroll chucks of various persuasions.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

NeilS
9th December 2018, 09:14 AM

I should explain myself a bit further, I only buy woodturning equipment out of the proceeds of my woodturning.

It's not my occupation, but more of a preoccupation of mine that happens to have paid for itself, at least so far.

I don't need to ask my wife if I can buy anything for the workshop; she sees the money that is regularly coming into our bank account and the occasional expenditure.

And, she knows that there will be a little something extra in it for her from time to time.... : ~ }

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th December 2018, 10:12 AM

Awww... c'mon. You don't need one for each jaw! :q

NeilS
9th December 2018, 11:56 AM
Awww... c'mon. You don't need one for each jaw! :qNo, not essential. I got by on just a few chucks for many years. Here is one of those oldies that I didn't count and which doesn't get used anymore.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181209/424373ddaecfcdceb857bdfda0eb77fe.jpg

However, my mounting technique/style uses lots of different jaw sizes and sets now. And, as I don't enjoy fiddling around changing jaws (and my workshop budget allows it), I have just kept adding chucks.

Besides, I can have up to half a dozen pieces going at any time and removing half completed pieces for the want of a few spare chucks can be counter productive for me.

Richard Raffan (and a number of other top turners) often use just the one chuck with multi-step jaws combined with jam chucking techniques. Those mounting techniques may suit you and, if so, are definitely more budget and space saving.

So, yes Skew, more chucks aren't necessary for being a good turner!

Sturdee
9th December 2018, 12:18 PM
However, my mounting technique/style uses lots of different jaw sizes and sets now. And, as I don't enjoy fiddling around changing jaws (and my workshop budget allows it), I have just kept adding chucks.

Besides, I can have up to half a dozen pieces going at any time and removing half completed pieces for the want of a few spare chucks can be counter productive for me.

The same reasoning as mine for getting more and more chucks. :2tsup:

If I count all the bought and home made chucks and counting individually the collet chucks, but not including the half dozen Jacob chucks, I have only 42.

At this stage I think I have enough as one chuck is not yet used and is a spare.:U

Peter.

pommyphil
9th December 2018, 12:49 PM
Just went out to the shed for a head count, 14 scroll chucks mainly Vicmarc. Thats enough for what I do, I never need to change jaws.......maybe I need more jaws?:U Phil.

woodtryer
9th December 2018, 01:05 PM
Somehow I don't think I will catch up to you guys with 3 and maybe a 4th before Christmas.

Peter

Optimark
9th December 2018, 01:49 PM
I have two, a VM100 and a VM120, however, I have almost all the different jaw sets for each. :D

Mick.

orraloon
9th December 2018, 04:35 PM
No, not essential. I got by on just a few chucks for many years. Here is one of those oldies that I didn't count and which doesn't get used anymore.

Richard Raffan (and a number of other top turners) often use just the one chuck with multi-step jaws combined with jam chucking techniques. Those mounting techniques may suit you and, if so, are definitely more budget and space saving.

I have one of those and tend to use it a lot. I have a cutter that mounts in the tailstock to bore the recess so it's done in seconds. Another reason I find it handy is it is a nice shallow recess and can be left on the bottom and not look out of place. That way when the bowl needs a spruce up with wax in a couple of years it is just chuck it up again and it's looking like new in very little time. I know it's frowned on not sculpting the bottom but you see that less than a faded finish.
My other chuck is a SN2.
Regards
John

Willy Nelson
9th December 2018, 11:23 PM
Gentlemen
Very interesting thread, it seems that the overwhelming choice of chuck is the Vicmarc.
I have 4 chucks, 3 x Vicmarc and 1 Vermec, they are the best chucks, could probably do with a couple more though
Willy

NeilS
10th December 2018, 08:42 AM
I know it's frowned on not sculpting the bottom...

This is a topic for another time/thread, but that bit of orthodoxy is just nonsense. I know where it comes from and it predates that chuck of yours (& mine) and it has no relevance to a well designed recessed foot, which is an aesthetic addition to a piece, IMO.

NeilS
10th December 2018, 09:26 AM
....they are the best chucks

All of the commonly used chucks here in Australia are "the best chucks".

I have, or have used, most of them and have used them a lot and I can't say that any of them are the "best chuck" more so than any other "best chuck". None have failed me. All of them have repaid their purchase price many time over. All of them are very good. Although some have particular advantages, none are without issues.

Overseas turners envy our woods and our chucks, also our lathes when our exchange rate is in their favour. We are fortunate to have so much best wood, "best chucks" and excellent lathes.

Chuck it firmly and ......

NeilS
10th December 2018, 09:57 AM
And, while I'm banging on about things... ;~}

Powderpost (Jim) posted an excellent summary on the development of the chuck some time ago here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/3-jaw-chucks-114891#post1127643). Thanks, Jim.

Having turned our way through that development some of us know how lucky we are to now have the modern scroll chuck.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th December 2018, 10:42 AM

Looks like a Leadbeter? (sp) Good chuck. I love mine.

'Twas just a flash of jealousy. :- I've enough myself to know the advantages... although not enough for bragging rights.

Heck, I only have 12 sets of jaws and they're just multiple sets of the same 3 types; super-grip, pin & 45mm bowl. I've always been if favour of jam chucks. Much more versatile...

Hehe. At least it's we're not talking about a separate lathe for every set of jaws, like some could. (A certain axe-wielding mongrel pops to mind... :D)

poundy
10th December 2018, 01:35 PM
off topic - but every time i see this thread pop up in the feed, my brain says "would a wood chuch chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood"

Yes, I'm sharing that so you all will do that as well :)

Sturdee
10th December 2018, 04:30 PM
off topic - .................................

Indeed of topic and is irrelevant and not adding to the conversation. :((

NeilS
10th December 2018, 08:14 PM
Looks like a Leadbeter? (sp) Good chuck. I love mine.

Yes, Skew, designed by Bruce Leadbeter (RIP) and made by Woodfast. I grew up in the same small town as Bruce. Now we are dating ourselves!

And, yes, some of us miss the sharp quips of a certain 'axe-wielding mongrel'. For newer forum members, we refer to one of the stalwarts of the forum, but no longer a contributing member, now Retired. He may have retired from contributing, but probably not from occasionally lurking and having a laugh on/at us.

brainstrust
16th December 2018, 12:17 AM
I have 2 but would like 3 :C

fubar
16th December 2018, 06:34 AM
weelll
hmmm i’ve got 4 no 5 err no is it 6 novas in constant use uncounted jaw sets bought and home made, 3 i think unnamed chucks and probably more than that hiding from sight.

Old Croc
17th December 2018, 09:11 PM
I am just waiting for the day when that mob at Ayao, make a 5 inch/ 125mm chuck so I can buy 5 new ones that all turn the correct way to tighten the jaws.
Rgds,
Crocy.