PDA

View Full Version : A what’s eating my guava trees - again

Arron
9th December 2018, 11:35 PM
I have 3 young guava plants. Two are Hawaiian guava and the third is an Annamarie guava - though I believe they are all the same species. These are growing in the Killcare area, on the Central Coast NSW.

Something is eating them, and I can’t work out what.

Previously they were hit hard by possums, but I have now encircled them in chicken wire. I think I’ve beaten the possums, but the new threat is some type of invertebrate, I think, though I check them frequently and can’t find any pests on them.

There are also black patches and edges, which my best guess is they are some sort of fungal infection setting in where the leaves have been torn. I’m assuming these patches are not the primary problem - as th leaves definitely show signs of having chunks eaten out of them, but maybe I’m wrong.

Does anyone recognise the problem from the attached images?
Solutions?

Thanks
Arron

Newboy
16th December 2018, 12:28 AM
Slugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chief Tiff
16th December 2018, 10:10 AM
The eaten bits are defined at the vein lines which would be indicative of insects, have a real close look under the leaves for caterpillars. If none are found it could be grasshoppers. Slugs and snails will leave shiny slime trails along the branches and leaves.

Time to get out the insecticide sprays, pyrethrum works for me.