PDA

View Full Version : Bowl savers/corers

artful bodger
20th December 2018, 06:54 PM
Thinking seriously about lashing out on a bowl saver.
Mainly for larger bowls at first.
The McNaughton one looks OK however I can see straight away that the mounting post is going to be an issue.
Although my toolrest banjo has a 1 inch post size the lathe I have is a one off with a big swing (860mm)
From the next picture you can see it is approx 210mm from banjo to lathe axis, plus I will need about 110mm (320 all up) going into the banjo.
Of course the tool posts on the McNaughton system are not that long which means I'd have to get a length welded on to the standard McNaughton post (Would not trust my own welding skills) assuming that could be done. Or perhaps order one straight from the maker with a custom length post. I see on their website they have a longer post for a Powermatic lathe but it is still not enough.
So there is going to be a bit of faffing around.
Anyway, interested in opinions about the McNaughton set up or thoughts about better set ups. Have heard(searching this forum) they struggle with dry hardwood and using on green timber is best.
Taking into account current exchange rates am also miffed that these savers are way cheaper to buy in the U.S.
Possibly interested in a second hand set too from a forum member, perchance.
Cheers

Chief Tiff
20th December 2018, 11:02 PM
Could you put a large block under the banjo instead? Either a good solid hardwood or a steel fabrication would work.

Nubsnstubs
21st December 2018, 01:35 AM
AB, get yourself a piece of 2"OD steel 8" long. Mill one end down to 1" about 3" long for the banjo end. On the 2" OD end, drill out a 1" hole deep enough for the corer post. Drill and tap a set screw/bolt hole. This is the easiest thing that I see. My 8" number might be off a little because I don't rightly know the thickness of either the gate?(the big round thing with the gate posts) or the width of the cutters....... Jerry (in Tuscon)USA

hughie
21st December 2018, 11:46 AM
I guess it really depends on what resources you have to hand. In my case I lifted the banjo up on a piece 75mm sq tube RHS 3,6mm wall, each end of the RHS had a flange welded to it as a base and a landing spot for the banjo.