PDA

View Full Version : Help with Vicmarc VL-240

Don Davis
22nd December 2018, 03:05 AM
I purchased a Vicmarc VL-240 several months ago, and have been liking it so far. Yesterday I went down to my shop to do a NE bowl, and turned the power on to my lathe and it will not start--when I push the green (start) button nothing at all happens. There is power to the VFD and I had the lathe unplugged overnight, so I am totally baffled. The manual for the VFD is extremely complicated and I can't figure anything out when studying it. I would be open to any advice on what to do--I have an email into Vicmarc--I really wish they had an 800 phone number, I called them once and talked to them for 14-15 minutes and I got a bill for $108 :o

This is totally frustrating I haven't been able to do anything on my lathe for 2 days now and I just don't know what to try!

Thanks for any advice/input-Don

pommyphil
22nd December 2018, 06:24 AM
Phone Vicmarc, use Skype.

plt43
22nd December 2018, 06:34 AM
Have you tripped a safety stop knee bar / button ?
(Not sure if this model has one, but this is a typical issue at our club....)

NCArcher
22nd December 2018, 08:14 AM
A quick look on the Vicmarc site shows an indexing pin safety switch that prevents the lathe from starting if the indexing pin is engaged. Check that.
Also check for interlock switches on doors or access covers

NeilS
22nd December 2018, 08:53 AM
Is the stop button sticking (on), this can happen but not usually on new units.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Don Davis
22nd December 2018, 10:42 AM
Neil and plt43, my stop bar was stuck! I think a shaving was stuck in there, I blew it out real good with my air compressor and oila it started running again--thanks for pointing me in a right direction.

NeilS
22nd December 2018, 02:22 PM
Neil and plt43, my stop bar was stuck!

A quick and cheap solution. That will have made your Christmas!

plt43
23rd December 2018, 07:09 AM
Good news !
It's those silly little things that cause frustration....
happy turning !

wm460
26th December 2018, 06:17 PM
my stop bar was stuck!

Happens to my VL 300 regularly now after I didn't use it for a couple of years .