PDA

View Full Version : A lesson learned the hard way !!!

smiife
23rd December 2018, 07:41 PM
Hi guys , I was asked to turn a piece of wattle into a bowl , It was to be a xmas present for the guys mother,
The timber came fron her property , so had sentimental value , no problem I said ..........
Turn the bowl got to the sanding and the guy turned up to see how things were going , very happy
customer he was thrilled and excited to pick up the next day ....
1/2 hour later the bowl was in pieces ..
I was sanding 80g then 120g , grabbed the airline to blow the dust out and the hose went threw the speed
controls and wound the speed up to 3000 rpm and bang , pieces everwhere half the bowl hit me in the side
and left arm , the other half hit the lathe bed bounced up put a hole in ceiling and ended up half way down the driveway !:o:o:o

A lesson learned the hard way !
Have a safe and carefull xmas everyone447173447172447171447170447169

powderpost
23rd December 2018, 08:21 PM
Good opportunity to consider segmenting???? Sorry :-)
Hope the personal injury was not too serious..

Jim

Pat
23rd December 2018, 08:47 PM
Ouch!
BTGtS
(Been There, Got the Shirt)

tony_A
23rd December 2018, 08:47 PM
Bugger.

Uncle Al
24th December 2018, 07:48 AM
A dramatic end to a nice bowl. Hopefully Santa Claus will bring you some new undies, I reckon you will need them.
How's the heart rate now?

Alan...

Mobyturns
24th December 2018, 09:36 AM
Not good! Thankfully you are relatively uninjured, could have been much worse.

Time to have a little rethink about the placement of machines and the accessories commonly used with them, to eliminate potential hazards like retractable airlines brushing over speed control potentiometers.

Tip - drop to the lower belt positions to limit the maximum speed achievable on lathes fitted with VFD's. Also delivers maximum torque for bowl turning.

As an interesting aside - At a demo in Innisfail I was becoming increasingly concerned about my then very new Vicmarc VL150 lathe speed "hunting" up and down. For a while I couldn't work out the cause. Then an Ah ha moment!
I figured out that it occurred when I arced my left hip towards the headstock. I was wearing new stubby shorts which had a different pocket configuration and had a handkerchief and some cotton waste rags in the pocket. As I arced left the pocket would brush the potentiometer, reducing the speed, then as I arced back towards the right it would increase the speed - erratically of course. The crowd and I had a good laugh.

BobL
24th December 2018, 09:50 AM
Was the dust hood also destroyed by the flying bowl parts?

Either way I doubt your DC would have been collecting much fine dust with that amount of blockage at the mouth of the 4" flexy.
Even with it cleared of curlies, 4" flexy that far back wouldn't do much.

Lappa
24th December 2018, 12:49 PM
Good on you BobL:C

turnerted
24th December 2018, 03:49 PM
Maybe you could offer it as a jigsaw puzzle ?
Ted

smiife
24th December 2018, 08:46 PM
Good opportunity to consider segmenting???? Sorry :-)
Hope the personal injury was not too serious..

Jim

Hi Jim, segmenting..........mmmmmm.....lets see , lots of time ...NO
Lots of patience.....NO....lack of timber ....NO.........
Maybe when I am retired , which I can, t see happening anytime soon :no:.....
Personal Injury was a 6 " bruise /gash to the side and a cut arm

Ouch!
BTGtS
(Been There, Got the Shirt)

Hi Pat , yeah ..... there was a bit of an ouch moment........
Where do I get a shirt ?:U

Bugger.

Those were not my exact words..........:C

smiife
24th December 2018, 09:02 PM
A dramatic end to a nice bowl. Hopefully Santa Claus will bring you some new undies, I reckon you will need them.
How's the heart rate now?

Alan...

Hi Alan , yeah , I think everthing happened so quick I wasn, t sure what had happened , took me a few seconds to work It out :~

Not good! Thankfully you are relatively uninjured, could have been much worse.

Time to have a little rethink about the placement of machines and the accessories commonly used with them, to eliminate potential hazards like retractable airlines brushing over speed control potentiometers.

Tip - drop to the lower belt positions to limit the maximum speed achievable on lathes fitted with VFD's. Also delivers maximum torque for bowl turning.

As an interesting aside - At a demo in Innisfail I was becoming increasingly concerned about my then very new Vicmarc VL150 lathe speed "hunting" up and down. For a while I couldn't work out the cause. Then an Ah ha moment!
I figured out that it occurred when I arced my left hip towards the headstock.
I was wearing new stubby shorts which had a different pocket configuration and had a handkerchief and some cotton waste rags in the pocket. As I arced left the pocket would brush the potentiometer, reducing the speed, then as I arced back towards the right it would increase the speed - erratically of course. The crowd and I had a good laugh.

Hi Moby , I normally have the lathe set on a middle setting , I find
the 290rpm /2900rpm suits for most turning I do , slow for sanding
and thread chasing , the higher speeds for spindle turning etc...
I have changed the airline path today , so hopefully elminated the danger..
Thanks for your reply

smiife
24th December 2018, 09:22 PM
Was the dust hood also destroyed by flying bowl parts?

Either way I doubt your DC would have been collecting much fine dust with that amount of blockage at the mouth of the 4" flexy.
Even with it cleared of curlies, 4" flexy that far back wouldn't do much.

Hi Bob, yeah , It was smashed , still finding pieces a week later !
I did have to trim the bowl because It was rubbing on dc mouth !
So any closer blanks wouldn, t fit on the lathe , the 4"flexy has
grill/net over the front to stop unwanted items going down the
gurgler and few curlies were caught up around the sides, the whole
thing was pushed back a fair way too !

Good on you BobL:C

:U

Maybe you could offer it as a jigsaw puzzle ?
Ted

Hi Ted , never thought of that , good Idea ,
I did make another bowl and the guy picked It up today, and he wanted the smashed bowl too ! :?

Mobyturns
24th December 2018, 11:28 PM
Hi Ted , never thought of that , good Idea ,
I did make another bowl and the guy picked It up today, and he wanted the smashed bowl too ! :?

Evidence! :D

Mr Brush
25th December 2018, 10:06 AM
Your bowl suffered from spontaneous, non-linear, catastrophic exasperation (with thanks to the late, great Douglas Adams)

Basically, your bowl just got fed up with being a bowl :rolleyes:

Mobyturns
25th December 2018, 01:20 PM
Your bowl suffered from spontaneous, non-linear, catastrophic exasperation (with thanks to the late, great Douglas Adams)

Maybe it simply identifies as a jigsaw puzzle. :D

Mr Brush
25th December 2018, 01:52 PM
Well, all those fancy restaurants are doing "deconstructed" food these days......there could be a big market for deconstructed bowls?

NeilS
25th December 2018, 07:35 PM
Smiife, I'm relieved to hear that you won't be spending the happy season in hospital.

My little bit of advice is brush the dust out of bowls into the extractor mouth. It's quicker and quieter than a compressor and the fine dust isn't going to be blown around your workshop the way compressed air does. And, with those almost uncontrollable air lines out of the action zone there is one less source of a potential accident waiting to happen.

Stay safe and...

DaveVman
26th December 2018, 06:32 AM
Thanks for posting these sorts of incidents. It lets newbies like me k ow what to look out for.

I have 'suffered from spontaneous, non-linear, catastrophic exasperation' a few times myself.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

smiife
29th December 2018, 09:47 PM
Evidence! :D

Hi moby , evidence .......see below.......

Hi mr brush , errr yeah , I think you right .......:doh:

Maybe it simply identifies as a jigsaw puzzle. :D

It is now !!!!!:U.......plus the payment !

Mobyturns
29th December 2018, 10:49 PM
I was referring to your client wanting the remains as evidence that the bowl hadn't been "appropriated" along the supply chain. :D

Mr Brush
30th December 2018, 11:52 AM
Looks like it let go big time stylee...at least no blood was spilled.

Hopefully Santa brought you a nice new blast pen to enclose your lathe for future "adventures".:2tsup: