PDA

View Full Version : What Finish?

wm460
26th December 2018, 06:10 PM
What Finish would you recommend for a bowl that has a lot of holes/cracks/imperfections?

Peter Z
27th December 2018, 08:40 AM
The size of that hole, 3 sand and 1 cement.

Mobyturns
27th December 2018, 09:21 AM
Presuming that you do not intend to fill the imperfections, requires an oil or spray finish such as satin / matte nitrocellulose lacquer.

Oil finishes such as Danish Oil, or Kunos can be applied quite easily with a lint free cloth plus a brush using a stippling technique to ensure it reaches into all the crevices. However it also requires quite a lot of attention to remove the excess oil so that you don't get bleed out and pools of dried oil on the finished item.

A satin nitrocellulose lacquer finish looks good, something like 30% Wattyl Stylwood, but requires some skill plus a compressor & spray gun setup. There are good rattle can alternatives such as Krylon Matte Finish available through Spotlight stores etc. HINT - practice on some scrap with voids etc similar to your bowl.
https://www.krylon.com/products/matte-finish/
https://www.spotlightstores.com/craft-hobbies/art-supplies/paints-mediums/varnishes/krylon-finish-matte/BP80102990

NeilS
27th December 2018, 09:27 AM
That is more of a feature than an imperfection. I would fill it with quick set two part epoxy. If very deep do it in layers. Do final turn and sand as normal. Most finishes will go over epoxy.

Do you have a wider photo? I'm thinking about how structurally sound the piece is.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

wm460
30th December 2018, 09:57 AM
The size of that hole, 3 sand and 1 cement.

wm460
30th December 2018, 10:33 AM
Presuming that you do not intend to fill the imperfections, requires an oil or spray finish such as satin / matte nitrocellulose lacquer.

This is my intention.
"Nitrocellulose lacquer" is rarer the hens teeth here in the centre of Aust.

Oil finishes such as Danish Oil,

I tried Danish Oil on a previous bowl and was most disappointed with the results.:(

Kunos

Looks interesting, unfortunately nearest seller is in Adelaide. 447400
Don't know how it would go in the post?

A satin nitrocellulose lacquer finish looks good, something like 30% Wattyl Stylwood,

This I would like the get, but google tell me the smallest available size is 4Lts.
mirotone -pre-catalysed-lacquers is another one I cant get in any thing smaller than 4Lts.

wm460
30th December 2018, 10:39 AM
That is more of a feature than an imperfection. I would fill it with quick set two part epoxy. If very deep do it in layers. Do final turn and sand as normal. Most finishes will go over epoxy.

Do you have a wider photo? I'm thinking about how structurally sound the piece is.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

NeilS
30th December 2018, 03:19 PM

OK, so a burl. Normally they are sound despite the pronounced cracks, but that one looks to me like it may have a weakness running from 2 o'clock through that bark inclusion to about 7 o'clock. I would definitely be strengthening it up with adhesive as well as fill, if that is your preferred look.

smiife
30th December 2018, 05:13 PM
Hi WM, you can get a rattle can of ncl posted to you,
I get them from a guitar makers supplies from melbourne
I think .....they are BEHLEN jet spray clear lacquer satin or gloss