PDA

View Full Version : Adding an indexing plate .

auscab
29th December 2018, 12:39 PM
I just got a Wadkin RS 8" lathe .

And I have a Woodfast lathe which I have happily used for years .

The woodfast has an indexing fixture as part of the pulley and the pin is fitted as a part of the head stock casting. Its 48 holes I think .

Im just wondering if or how people have fitted indexing plates to lathes that don't come with them as standard .

Do you buy a plate from somewhere like Hare and Forbes and adapt it to be screwed onto the spindle in the head stock ?

Or make one and do the same ?

Rob

Acco
29th December 2018, 12:51 PM
Here is one option

Indexing Attachment (http://www.vermec.com/store/p51/Indexing_Attachment.html)

Uncle Al
29th December 2018, 07:23 PM
This isn't mine, just something I saw on the net recently. May be of interest if you have a Vicmarc chuck with the holes at the back. This chuck looks like a Vicmarc VM120.

Alan...

Old Croc
29th December 2018, 08:39 PM
I just brought this home from the US.
Rgds,
Crocy.

auscab
29th December 2018, 11:10 PM
Some great products there thanks . I didn't really think of people supplying indexing plates for woodworking lathes and just thought an engineering supplier was the way or make your own .

That's not a bad option DJ . Don't know if it would fit the Wadkin . Ive got to measure it up .

Thanks Alan . Ill check that out as well.

Thanks Crocy. That looks like it would be the one to go for . I think I have a 1.25 inch spindle .

Rob.

Blackforester
30th December 2018, 08:02 AM
Some time ago I came across an image (can't remember where) where someone used a table saw blade and some clamping arrangement as an indexing device. This could be a cheap home made option. Find and old blade and have it bored out to the right diameter. Saw doctors can do this.

clear out
30th December 2018, 09:37 AM
Thanks Crocy. That looks like it would be the one to go for . I think I have a 1.25 inch spindle .

Rob.[/QUOTE]

You have 1 3/8” W inboard and 1 1/4” Lefthand Whitworth outboard.
I have a tap to suit inboard and am retapping some old cast iron 1 1/4” faceplates and 1 3/8” UNC nuts to get mine up and running.
I was going to make a new spindle with 1 3/8” both ends and use reverse for outboard work.
H

Chief Tiff
30th December 2018, 09:42 AM
KISS; an MDF plate with 24 holes used as a spacer behind the chuck. If you want to get fancy drill the holes on the outside edge of the disc and use a barrel bolt clamped to the bed at 90 degrees.

Sturdee
30th December 2018, 06:43 PM
I made one using 6mm thick Corian, just marked out the range of holes and drilled them out.

First one was as a practice run but the second is great. All together 2 hours of work.

auscab
30th December 2018, 11:24 PM
You have 1 3/8” W inboard and 1 1/4” Lefthand Whitworth outboard.

Great. Thanks Henry.