PDA

View Full Version : Need a favour pretty please

Superbunny
29th December 2018, 05:11 PM
I just got around to installing my McJing bench vice after a year of it sitting around the workshop. Well wouldn’t you know it, the vice handle I purchased from CarbaTec also a year ago is too big to go in the vice tuning hole so now I don’t have a vice handle. It’s about 29mm and needs to be 26.5mm in diameter. So is there anyone I can post the handle to that would do me the favour of turning it down to 26.5mm please, I don't do turning in my woodwork but it is on my bucket list. I will cover all postage. I'm in Tasmania, Launceston way.

In the picture it is 300mm long.

SB

Optimark
29th December 2018, 06:53 PM
Unless there is a local to you turner who responds, I can do it.

Mick.

Superbunny
30th December 2018, 02:52 PM
Unless there is a local to you turner who responds, I can do it.

Mick.

Thank you Mick, I have sent a pm to you.

SB

FenceFurniture
30th December 2018, 05:16 PM
In the picture it is 300mm long.Ok, so how long in real life? :D
(sorry, I tried real hard to resist, but you know how it is at this time of year...)

derekcohen
30th December 2018, 06:22 PM
SB, you could also simply plane it down. I'd say clamp it in a vise, but you cannot! :) You can free hand it with a block plane. Just a stroke at a time .... around and around you go, where you stop .. is when it fits. Finish with sandpaper. Should take as long to do as it took me to type. Just watch the grain direction.

Regards from Perth

Derek

woodPixel
31st December 2018, 02:02 AM
Happy to do it if it doesn't pan out for you with the earlier offers. I'm in Canberra.

tony_A
31st December 2018, 08:31 AM
I live at Port Sorell and have a lathe if Derek's suggestion wont work for you.

Tony

Superbunny
31st December 2018, 04:55 PM
SB, you could also simply plane it down. I'd say clamp it in a vise, but you cannot! :) You can free hand it with a block plane. Just a stroke at a time .... around and around you go, where you stop .. is when it fits. Finish with sandpaper. Should take as long to do as it took me to type. Just watch the grain direction.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks guys, I'm on to it and I will think on Derek’s suggestion as this really might be sufficient to work well. I can do the vice up with a piece of steel pipe but it's not efficient.

SB

Superbunny
2nd January 2019, 01:04 PM
I have decided and completed the desired outcome using Derek's method. Yes, I did get some grain direction problems but used some epoxy to smooth over, now all good. Thanks for the offers of help and one day I'll just have to get into turning I think.

SB

Optimark
2nd January 2019, 04:28 PM
Fantastic news.

Mick.

woodPixel
2nd January 2019, 04:35 PM
... one day I'll just have to get into turning I think.