PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon's Platter Too

splinterz25
15th January 2019, 01:34 PM
"Poseidon's Platter Too"
it's 14 1/2" D X 9 1/2" tall. The center is White Oak the Scalloped edge is segmented Walnut, the Dolphins are also Walnut. This piece needed a base so here's what I came up with. The base turned, cut & carved plus I added three hand carved Sea Horses.

rob streeper
15th January 2019, 01:38 PM
Beautiful, thanks!

splinterz25
15th January 2019, 09:47 PM
Thank you very much Rob.

splinterz25
21st January 2019, 06:08 AM
Woodturners Unlimited
It's my honor to be able to pick the next Turning of the Week. This was much harder than I thought it would be, with all the extremely talented tuners in this group. After a long and hard look I've decided to pick "Poseidon's Platter Too" by Bruce Jones as the next turning of the week. Every time I scroll up to it I can't help but to zoom in on all the pictures and become mesmerized by all the detail that was put into this piece. The platter, which was done first, is a piece of art in itself. The separate base really raises this piece to a whole new level. While the piece as shown in the photos is amazing, I can only imagine the amount of detail that can be seen in person. Congratulations Bruce, this is a piece to be proud of!

brainstrust
24th January 2019, 10:11 PM
hows this a turn though. its too fantastically crafted to be a turning :)

splinterz25
25th January 2019, 12:04 AM
hows this a turn though. its too fantastically crafted to be a turning :)
I think your asking how was this done? I can post a few in progress photos to help w/ that. It was turned both the base and the platter, then a good deal of carving was done after words, some photos.

Hardenfast
30th January 2019, 09:54 PM
Just wow!

splinterz25
1st February 2019, 10:00 AM
Just wow!Thank you very much Hardenfast!