PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi router comments please

normc
17th October 2005, 12:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would greatly appreciate some helpful comments on either of 2 Ryobi routers I'm able to get cheap. the models are the ERT1400V and the ERT1500VK from their currrent pro series. I'm only a hobbyist but looking to do good quality work and the pro series seems a safer choice. Problem is, its not generally on the shelves at B or M10 so I'm not able to examine it personally. Many thanks for replies.

petermac
21st October 2005, 11:09 PM
Hi Normc.

I recently bought an ERT2100VK which looks more like a larger version of the ERT1400V than the ERT1500VK. I haven't actually used it yet but the build quality looks ok and the height adjustment and measurement facilities seem to be pretty good. It has soft start which is necessary for a 2100W router.

I plan to put the router in a triton table. The one problem I have found is that when you put the router upside down, the weight of the router acting with the springs makes it hard to adjust. If your not going to put it in a table then its not a problem.

If I get time on the week end I will give it a test run and report back.

I did notice that the dust extraction port looks a little small. Its smaller than the port on most power tools and it looks like it would block up easily.

doug the slug
21st October 2005, 11:31 PM
The one problem I have found is that when you put the router upside down, the weight of the router acting with the springs makes it hard to adjust. If your not going to put it in a table then its not a problem .

This is why the triton router is designed to allow for easy removal of the plunge spring for when it is in use inverted in the table, just another reason its the best table router i know of. not want ing to sound like im knocking, but why buy a non-triton router for mounting in a triton router table when the two are made for each other?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

petermac
22nd October 2005, 12:35 AM
This is why the triton router is designed to allow for easy removal of the plunge spring for when it is in use inverted in the table, just another reason its the best table router i know of. not want ing to sound like im knocking, but why buy a non-triton router for mounting in a triton router table when the two are made for each other?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif
Price.

I agree the triton router is the best option for a triton router table but it is fairly expensive compared to the ryobi router which was 1/3 of the price and nearly the same power( 2100w vs 2400w).

doug the slug
22nd October 2005, 12:59 AM
Price.

I agree the triton router is the best option for a triton router table but it is fairly expensive compared to the ryobi router which was 1/3 of the price and nearly the same power( 2100w vs 2400w).

so what are the features of this ryobi router?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

petermac
22nd October 2005, 09:23 PM
Doug,

This is the specifications from the manual:

Input ......................................... 2100 W
No Load Speed ........................ 8000-23000 min-1
Collet Capacity.......................... 6.35 mm (1/4") 12.7 mm (1/2”)
Plunge Capacity ....................... 60 mm
Net Weight ................................ 7.5 kg

And it comes with a big grey storage case!

normc
24th October 2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the help guys although it turned out to be a little late. I went with the 1500W model after speaking with the Ryobi service guys, who said the 1500 "pro-series" was more accurate and somewhat better built than the 2100. Also about half the weight. I got it for $100 (retails @ $183) so it was a good buy and with some good quality bits, should meet my modest needs pretty well.

I guess we'd all like to buy the best of everything but of course "the best" can be subjective depending on our needs, and unless Lotto smiles on us, the cost is nearly always a consideration. I'm currently updating all my tools to last me through retirement and the budget can be a bit of a challenge.
Hoping my mind stays as sharp as my cutting edges.
Happy routing to all (hope I spelt that right :-))

Normc

MarkST
25th October 2005, 08:18 PM
Normc,

I was looking at the 1500W pro router, but I've only seen it for $210. Whereabouts did you get yours from
Mark

normc
26th October 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that thought. I have a friend who got the 1500 for me at wholesale. I've been able to get a sliding compound mitre saw, the router, a planer, a 180mm angle grinder, and an orbital sander, (all pro series) for less than $500 so I've updated all my power tools, some of which were getting on 30 yrs old, so about time I guess. I did get a special order price from Bunnings of $183, so $210 is still a bit steep I think. Knowing the mark up might help you bargain a bit though.

I got an economy set of Greenline bits from apworkshop.com.au and my first impression besides how easy & clean the cuts are, was the fine dust it creates. A workmate could be an answer to that, as well as the access problem. I could do the work near the garage door and direct the dust outside. Good thought, thanks again.

I know its great to have the best tools but lets face it, a good mitre saw can cost around $1000 and I couldn't justify that for the amount of work I do. So I got the Ryobi for $143 and with a little adjustment, it does the job pretty well.

Norm