PDA

View Full Version : ER vs 5C collet blocks

MWF FEED
30th January 2019, 10:10 PM
My next bit of tooling that I am eyeing up is a set of collet blocks, either the traditional square and hexagonal pair or the 12-sided Joe block. My mill has an ER40 collet chuck so I have a limited set of ER40 collets. However, at some point it would be nice to add a collet chuck to the lathe, which has a D1-6 spindle mount. It seems you can't buy an ER collet chuck which has an integral D1-6 mount, but rather you would have to go "2 piece" and machine a mounting block to fit a universal ER collet chuck (which doesn't seem ideal). There are however 5C collet chucks made with a D1-6 mount, or it seems whatever mounting system you might have.

So.... my first question is would it be worthwhile going with a 5C system and have to get 5C collets in addition to the ER40's? Or just stick with the ER40 system?

Is my bias against a "2 piece" collet chuck + mounting block system for the lathe unfounded? I always feel that multiple components/interfaces will compound inaccuracies, but on the other hand if you are machining the mounting block in situ is it actually minimizing run-out of the collet chuck vs an integrated unit??

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (http://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=202876&goto=newpost)