PDA

View Full Version : Autumn

Dalboy
31st January 2019, 02:46 AM
I was not sure about the pattern to start with but when applying the last coat of finish a friend came in and asked how much when I told them they brought it before the varnish had dried need I have worried.
This measures 8" X 2" made from field maple sprayed with ebonising spray and the leaves were done with Jo Sonja iridescent paints and then acrylic satin spray. I turned and sanded the three little feet to help lift this piece rather than my usual flat type bottom.
I ended up taking this photo in sunlight to highlight the pattern.

This is the last competition piece for the year as our club runs from March to February

Ironwood
31st January 2019, 08:58 AM
Nice work. I like how you have done the feet, gives the piece a different look.

Redbeard
31st January 2019, 11:29 AM
Very nice. Were the feet turned as a rim and you then cut out the bits you didn't want? Or are they stuck on?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Dalboy
31st January 2019, 12:39 PM
Thank you both.

Very nice. Were the feet turned as a rim and you then cut out the bits you didn't want? Or are they stuck on?

The feet are turned as a rim and the cut out and blended with plenty of hand sanding.

Redbeard
31st January 2019, 12:45 PM
Thank you both.

The feet are turned as a rim and the cut out and blended with plenty of hand sanding.Sanding...

There's just no escaping it.

Food for thought there.

Cheers

crowie
31st January 2019, 08:15 PM
Very nicely done Derek.
You seemed to mastered this sort of decorative art for your turning, well done sir.
Cheers peter

Redbeard
31st January 2019, 10:46 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you sell this piece for?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Dalboy
1st February 2019, 02:56 AM
Very nicely done Derek.
You seemed to mastered this sort of decorative art for your turning, well done sir.
Cheers peter

This is the last for our yearly club competitions. Now to get back and finish off the waggon I am building well hopefully as long as nothing else gets in the way

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you sell this piece for?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Yes sanding is the biggest thing that lets people down after tool control I still make mistakes now and again

I sold this for £55 I know others that would sell it for more but I am only just getting to be known for my work here in the UK

Hardenfast
2nd February 2019, 08:28 AM
Very nice Dalboy.

Particularly impressed with the artwork. Did you do the painting etc straight onto the piece or is it a removable ring? Interesting effect with the little feet as well. Haven't seen that before. :2tsup:

Looking forward to Autumn over here, by the way.

Dalboy
2nd February 2019, 09:44 AM
Very nice Dalboy.

Particularly impressed with the artwork. Did you do the painting etc straight onto the piece or is it a removable ring? Interesting effect with the little feet as well. Haven't seen that before. :2tsup:

Looking forward to Autumn over here, by the way.

The leaves are painted on by using some potatos which I carved out and used as a stamp.