PDA

View Full Version : Small opening round window.

artful bodger
12th February 2019, 06:51 PM
Opening round windows can be problematic compared to square/rectangle ones.
This small one is made up from off cuts leftover from bigger ones.
Main frame is W.R.C and the opening frame is King Billy Pine and epoxy glue.
It is small enough to get away with one hinge and a quadrant stay seems to work for the opening closing mechanism.
Opening frame is in three layers for strength and being KWP is very lightweight.
380mm largest dia. 270 smallest dia x 170mm wide.

NeilS
18th February 2019, 06:40 PM
Porthole?

artful bodger
18th February 2019, 07:41 PM
Not a porthole Neil, well not for a boat anyway.
Almost a reverse porthole, buyer wanted a round window to look out from whilst having a shower to enjoy the scenic views.
I did pick up some old stainless steel portholes years ago from an auction, 2 opening and 2 fixed and have considered making a frame for them to convert to residential items however they are really designed to work with thin walls of say 1/4 inch-6mm ply or steel and don't lend themselves easily to residential conversion. Unless you are building a plywood or steel house.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th February 2019, 09:58 AM
I'm not keen on the externally mounted hinge, but I can see why you went that way.

Considering the hinge placement and as you haven't shown any matching mouldings, I assume there aren't any? So... any reason you didn't cut in a drip line near the front edge?

I'm just being curious, not critical. Nicely done, BTW.

artful bodger
20th February 2019, 09:04 AM
I was thinking the hinge could have been a bit more robust. Neither Mitre 10 or Bunnings had any quailty hinges available. Several years ago Mitre 10 did sell high quality stainless steel ones but not any more.
As for a drip line, I guess you have a point there even though there is nothing stopping water getting behind the cut from above. When it comes to properly flashing a round window I have not seen a suitable way. It seems easier to weatherproof the window by other means.

clear out
20th February 2019, 10:31 AM
Nice result but that tiny hinge is a worry.
Ill have a look in my stash for a stainless one if you like, probably be bigger but could be cut down to suit.
Would two stays work ?
H.