PDA

View Full Version : At Last some boxes finished

Don Nethercott
17th October 2005, 10:33 PM
Spent 12 months trying to make my first box. Finally did Alan William's course at Grafton Artsfest. Got some boxes finished, a few more started, and finished the one I started 12 months ago.

If you really want to know how to make bandsaw boxes enroll in one of Alan's courses. Attached are some piccies of my first box (finished) and 2 I made at Artsfest.

First one is made of English Plane - no handles as there is a cutout in the back to facilitate opening the drawers. Second is made of Mango, and the last is made of Camphor Laurel. The drawer "handles" of the second and third boxes are carved into the drawer front.
Don

E. maculata
17th October 2005, 10:54 PM
Really nice Don, you must have a good eye for form, matches anything I've seen at the local displays.

Don Nethercott
17th October 2005, 11:08 PM
I'd like to claim credit for the designs of the second and third boxes but they are Alan William's ideas. The first one is my idea - bit of a difference.

I'm trying to develop a few designs of my own now - with the assistance of designs I can find on the internet and in Tom Crabb's Making Bandsaw Boxes book.

Don

zenwood
17th October 2005, 11:46 PM
Love these boxes. I've got the book, but must get round to doing one, one day...

(The photos are a tad huge: if you reduce the pixels, you can get away with less compression.)

Gumby
18th October 2005, 12:03 AM
Spent 12 months trying to make my first box. Finally did Alan William's course at Grafton Artsfest. Got some boxes finished, a few more started, and finished the one I started 12 months ago.

If you really want to know how to make bandsaw boxes enroll in one of Alan's courses. Attached are some piccies of my first box (finished) and 2 I made at Artsfest.

First one is made of English Plane - no handles as there is a cutout in the back to facilitate opening the drawers. Second is made of Mango, and the last is made of Camphor Laurel. The drawer "handles" of the second and third boxes are carved into the drawer front.
Don

I'm tempted to have a go myself. What blade did you use making those ?

Wood Butcher
18th October 2005, 12:22 AM
Those boxes look great,gives me a really good incentive to finish getting my bandsaw going.

Well Done!!

ptc
18th October 2005, 09:32 AM
Very nice.
welcome to the club (b.b)

Babytoolman
18th October 2005, 10:16 AM
Don,

Great boxes.. Now i know what to aim for. Does Alan have a web page? I would like to go and do a course with him. If you can give me some contact details then that would be good. I saw the artfest details but no direct numbers for him.

Roger

Don Nethercott
18th October 2005, 07:00 PM
Hi folks,
At the course we used 3/16 by 10tpi. If you want to do really small curves use a 1/8 x 10tpi.

The high number of teeth are needed to give as smooth a finish as possible to reduce the sanding needed, and thus to keep the space between the drawer and the box as small as possible.

Re Alan Williams - no he hasn't a website. Sells most of his stuff direct overseas through an agent (he makes, someone else sells.)

He is doing an advanced bandsaw boxes course for 4 days over Easter at Grafton Artsfest - but don't do it if you haven't done his first course. Don't know yet if he is doing a bandsaw box course next Spring, as he is toying with the idea of doing a harp making course.

Spring workshops are not up yet but keep an eye on the Grafton Artsfest site for news. Their website is http://www.artsfestgrafton.com/

Some of these courses you need to book in WELL in advance. For example Richard Raffan is doing a woodturning course next Spring and it is already half full - and it's not even advertised yet.

Have added a few more piccies to show the drawers on the camphor box and the drawer runners on the mango box (it was the drawer runners that thwarted me for so long).

Don

ptc
19th October 2005, 08:56 AM
Draw Runners.
Thats a challenge.!
Any tips on that one ?