PDA

View Full Version : Bodgers Kit

dan_tom
18th October 2005, 12:50 AM
Hi All,
I am tempted to put together a "typical" bodgers kit. Looking at just the basics that would have traditionally been carried into the forest on the bodgers back.
Some of the obvious items are: froe, axe/ hatchet, chisels, adze, and drawknife.
Any ideas on what else could be included? Particularly items that could be shop built.
Cheers
Tom

Andy Mac
18th October 2005, 07:59 AM
Hi Dan & Tom,

Don't forget your bowsaw! If you're planning on working in the bush, make a folding shaving horse (with 2 wheels...now there's an idea!), a brace with bits, and a whittling knife.

Cheers,

bitingmidge
18th October 2005, 08:10 AM
A tin of tobacco and some ciggy paper.

Oh, and a sugar bag to carry it all in.

P
;)

Zed
18th October 2005, 08:43 AM
send me an PM with your eamil address and I will send you some photos of the "total tool kit" used by myself when I did my last wwodworking course at Mittagong (Windsor stool).

dan_tom
18th October 2005, 09:12 AM
A tin of tobacco and some ciggy paper.

Oh, and a sugar bag to carry it all in.

P
;)
I like the image but it defeats the purpose of heading into the woods without powertools. The only smoke should be coming from the fire that the billy is on.
Cheers
Tom :D :D :D

Andy Mac
18th October 2005, 09:15 AM
Hi again,

Forgot to mention you'll need a mallet or something to bash your froe with. It will also help knocking joints together. Maybe include a spokeshave for a nice finish.
The whittling knife I mentioned previously is handy to get bark out of forks, places where the drawknife won't get, as well as fine trimming of joints, rounding the end bevels on pins and tenons, as well as sharpening your pencil! Although I have forged some, you can modify kitchen knives to do the same task.. grind them down.
Zed, I look forward to the photo/s of your kit.

Cheers,

silentC
18th October 2005, 09:31 AM
The mallet is called a beetle or beetle maul. If they used a pole lathe for turning, they would often carry the parts of the headstock and the cord as well. The rest would be made on the job.

Barry_White
18th October 2005, 11:19 AM
How about a set of wedges to split logs. And a bullock and a cart to carry it all.

echnidna
18th October 2005, 01:42 PM
A round tenon maker.
Forgotton the proper name but looks something like a spokeshave with a blade set into it longways and it works very much like an oversized pencil sharpener (but not pointy)
Hope you make sense of this.

echnidna
18th October 2005, 02:19 PM
And a brace and bits.
You also need a spoon bit which is used to bore holes in solid timber seat bottoms to take the leg tenons.