PDA

View Full Version : quoting problems help

csp
19th October 2005, 12:16 PM
Help appreciated. I am trying to cost out building a 28sq home. I am having problems with gaining quotes from electricians and plumbers. Is there any little secrets that these trades use when quoting jobs. The plumbing quote would be for entire pluming including colourbond roof.

Does anybody know of any web sites or booklets where I could get some information on a breakdown of tradies quotes and things to look out for in quotes.

ian
19th October 2005, 11:25 PM
So you're a beginning owner builder, have a look at this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=21931 a common theme was tradies don't like disorganised owner builders, and hence wont quote.
If your aim is to get an idea of how much your house might cost, the best you can probably do is to contact your local building advisory centre for an appropriate rate per square metre.
If you want a more detailed estimate, you should look towards generating a detailed materials list for each of the trades.
For the sparkie: Number of single power points, double power points, light switches, light fittings (what sort are they — down lights, ceiling mounted, wall mounted, etc), do your plans have a page (or pages) clearly showing where you want the power points to be, where the light fittings go, where the light switches are, etc. These are all unknowns which make quoting the job high risk for the tradie. If your owner building you can supply all these, and just use the sparkie to wire it up.

do I wish you good luck?

ian

spartan
20th October 2005, 01:09 PM
check out the archicentre cost guide.....

http://www.archicentre.com.au/html/downloads.html

seriph1
20th October 2005, 01:14 PM
Hiya CSP

Welcome to the forum! You'll find a world of information and opinion here....... most of it brilliant! My questions don't relate to yours, but I would still like to know: What style home are you building? What primary materials are you using? Where is it, and; What were the most important considerations when planning it?

have fun!

MrFixIt
20th October 2005, 03:29 PM
Help appreciated. I am trying to cost out building a 28sq home. I am having problems with gaining quotes from electricians and plumbers. Is there any little secrets that these trades use when quoting jobs. The plumbing quote would be for entire pluming including colourbond roof
Yes provide the contractor with a COMPLETE set of plans and specifications :D

Of course future changes to those plans may influence the contractors quoted price.