PDA

View Full Version : Conductors Baton

Fumbler
17th March 2019, 04:37 PM
A big thank you to all who have given me advice and shown me the right way of doing something. So after a long time, and several "no, I'll come back to that" moments, i under no stress, managed to finish the choral conductors Baton. Not bad for a freebie for someone. My club President put it out there as a challenge. So with really soooo much time on my hands, NOT, I took it on. It's been fun to say the least.

when I mean finished, I took it off the lathe in one piece, rather than it flying off! And me having 2 pieces with the second part wedged, either in me or the roof! Haha.

i have still got to cut free and square the end up, as he wanted it 8mm square tapered to 5 though the body into 3.5mm at the end. Should this not be to his liking, I will have a very nice piece to show people my patience. And that I'm not always a bull in a China shop.

so after a lot of time on the skew, high rpms (as high as my chuck will allow) and advice and tips from you lot, here she is. African Wenge / Silver Ash. My fav combo at the moment.

Ps I couldn't wait to post this, hence not got a finish on it or me made the box for it yet.

here are some progressive shots (the others pics are posted in a thread called "advice please")

450927 450928 450929 450930 450931 450932 450933450933 450933

Again, thank you all for your advice and tips.

Richard

smiife
17th March 2019, 06:25 PM
Well done Richard , looks great............:2tsup::2tsup:

Euge
18th March 2019, 11:35 AM
Very nice!! ....... and the wood Richard?
What did you choose and why?

Euge

Fumbler
18th March 2019, 12:06 PM
Very nice!! ....... and the wood Richard?
What did you choose and why?

Euge

African Wenge - I had plenty of small pen blank sizes perfect for this, and I liked the contrast

Silver ash - it needed to be pale, and straight, both of which Silver Ash is. It has nice straight grain

some batons are painted white so they can be seen. I don't want me handy work painted so used pale timber.

Euge
18th March 2019, 12:40 PM
Thanks Richard good choices to show contrast in colour