PDA

View Full Version : Camphor laurel

MarkST
20th October 2005, 08:17 AM
I'm just about to have a bloody great camphor laurel chopped done in my front garden. Its about 20 m high and approx. 800 mm in dia.
I'm in Brisbane.
Two questions. Is this a suitable wood for you woodturning types and does anyone want bits of it before they cart it away?
Mark

bennylaird
20th October 2005, 08:29 AM
I just paid $250 for a 2.8 x 1.2 metre slab for a bar top, so hope it's a good wood to work with?

Bodgy
20th October 2005, 10:09 AM
Mark

Make sure the tree guys grind the stump right back. Also suggest you put whatever your favourite poison is on the exposed stump base when they're finished. Do it whilst still wet and sappy.

I got rid of 4 monsters CL trees 12 years ago. I find it inexplicable but whats left of the roots still send up suckers even now!

These things have a pact with the Devil. Maybe you should shoot the stump with a silver bullet too.

Toasty
20th October 2005, 01:44 PM
I personally really enjoy turning camphor luarel and if I was anywhere near Brisbane I would be there like a shot *sigh*

Mike Jefferys.
21st October 2005, 10:57 PM
Up and down the Easy coast (and maybe elsewhere?) probably the most available quality turning species and best of all it's a win win, the councils hate it and turners love it! It's a tougher ask when you come to sell pieces made from it - it has a bad rep as a tree and, perversly, punters won't pay for it in the made piece - fools they are!

Mike Jefferys

hughie
6th December 2011, 08:56 AM

Two questions. Is this a suitable wood for you woodturning types and does anyone want bits of it before they cart it away?

Mark its excellent for woodturning soft and very stable, great stuff to turn.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/embellished-camphor-laurel-143157/

Depending on where it grows the CL can have fantastic colour to the heart wood.

wheelinround
6th December 2011, 09:22 AM
Three pieces two at the rear and the lolly pot in the middle
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tkwCACfcaBo/TtmNulyP7nI/AAAAAAAABVU/ZZbjh_MwIOE/s1600/P1030137.jpg
dig the root ball out and cut it up too you'll be amazed at the colour.

how i wish i had a bl&&^big shed and lived closer

Oh be warned the smell is beaut but wear a mask, eye protection if turning wet a and possibly a raincoat LOL