PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy timber in TAS

Jarrodd
24th March 2019, 08:52 PM
I will be taking the Spirit of Tasmania across from Melbourne in a month or so and was wondering where I might be able to visit to source some timber in Tas. What are people's suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Somerfly
25th March 2019, 05:42 PM
Hi Jarrodd, depends on what you're looking for but Specialty Veneers cut huon,celery pine myrtle and blackwood timber as well as veneers as there name suggests. Not too many of the small sawmills about anymore. Brittons in Smithtown is another large operation if you are going to the far north west. Both these businesses sell kiln dried timber.
Good luck Wayne

MikeJ
25th March 2019, 07:41 PM
Hi

The Margate Train (just south of Hobart) is a great place to get Tasmanian species. It is a "retail" outlet for S&J Timbers. Well worth a look.

Cheers

Jarrodd
25th March 2019, 08:23 PM
Sorry should have mentioned. Looking for either a slab for a table top or timber for bowls.

Not really after veneers but also may be interested in some boards which could be used to make a wine cabinet

tony_A
25th March 2019, 08:47 PM
Island specialty timbers at Geeveston could be worth a call to see what they have at the time.
Wynwood sawmill at Wynyard would be another, they are milling salvaged timber recovered from our Hydro dams.

Tony

TasSculptor
26th March 2019, 08:26 AM
Hi. I mill highly figured Tasmanian timbers. Mainly fiddleback blackwood, blackheart sassafras and Myrtle. I'm at Scottsdale in the n.e and open to the public by appointment. [emoji106]Jason.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

mpot
31st March 2019, 12:22 AM
Hi. I mill highly figured Tasmanian timbers. Mainly fiddleback blackwood, blackheart sassafras and Myrtle. I'm at Scottsdale in the n.e and open to the public by appointment. [emoji106]Jason.
I can recommend Jason - I visited and bought some figured blackwood from him last time I was in Tasmania. Great guy, and some awesome timber!
To get an idea of the type of timber he has, check out his instagram feed (link in his signature), or have a look at some of the photos he has posted in these forums.

Jarrodd
31st March 2019, 07:54 AM
Thanks all,

Will definately contact Jason once the better half confirms when we are heading across.

Somerfly
8th April 2019, 08:45 PM
Jarrodd the two companies I mentioned recieve about 2/3 of the annual harvest from our native forests in the state. I will point out that I have no affiliation to either of these companies. Specialty Veneers does everything from slabs to veneers and everything in between and only 30 minutes drive to the spirit terminal. Enjoy your visit.
Cheers Wayne

Toymaker Len
8th April 2019, 09:33 PM
Last time I was buying in Tassie the Queenstown mill was very good. They allowed me to wander through about two hectares of mainly huon pine stock to collect a trailer load. Very reasonable.

Jarrodd
22nd July 2019, 09:05 PM

Sent from my CPH1725 using TapatalkHi Jason,

We have confirmed that we will be saying in Launceston on 12th and 13th August. Would you be free for me to make a time to visit and inspect your stock?

Jarrod

Jarrodd
22nd July 2019, 09:32 PM
Island specialty timbers at Geeveston could be worth a call to see what they have at the time.
Wynwood sawmill at Wynyard would be another, they are milling salvaged timber recovered from our Hydro dams.

TonyHi Tony, I love idea of the salvaged timber, do you happen to know if their mill is open to the public. Their website appears to indicate you have to visit a reseller.
Jarrod

TasSculptor
22nd July 2019, 11:09 PM
Hi Jason,

We have confirmed that we will be saying in Launceston on 12th and 13th August. Would you be free for me to make a time to visit and inspect your stock?

JarrodThats fine. Send me a msg a day or 2 beforehand to make sure. [emoji106]

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

Jarrodd
12th August 2019, 08:49 PM
Thats fine. Send me a msg a day or 2 beforehand to make sure. [emoji106]

Sent from my CPH1725 using TapatalkHi Jason,

I have just sent you a PM

Jarrod