PDA

View Full Version : ivorbigdeck -Turning Blank request by PM

Euge
2nd April 2019, 03:13 PM
Hi ivorbigdeck,

You contacted me saying you were a beginner "doing s bit of wood turning & was after a few blanks". I can help you initially with a response when you have cleared some space as your message bank (PM) is full and cant receive messages.

Regards, Euge

poundy
2nd April 2019, 03:32 PM
did they reach out to you yesterday, by any chance? With a user name like that, it would smell a little April-fool-ish to me :)

Euge
2nd April 2019, 04:04 PM
Yes, strange name but that's his choice ... though he lives in Canberra the request seemed genuine and he signed off by another name.
Though a new member he has posted about tools on some forums here, So I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tempted but wont tell you what I did when tricked as a kid of 12 on April Fools Day.

Euge

Fumbler
3rd April 2019, 03:13 AM
He wasn't a kiwi was he?

Euge
3rd April 2019, 08:18 AM
From Canberra

Treecycle
3rd April 2019, 01:09 PM
He's been around since 2008 so not a fly by nighter.

Euge
3rd April 2019, 01:19 PM
Yes, he is an older member ... and has seen this thread, cleared his PMs and sent me another PM ... but I am still a bit suspicious (of his name & 11 year gap in posting )and not responding to this thread directly. When he does, I will respond. Pity as I deleted what I wrote and couldn't send him. I can help him if he wishes to pursue. He may do better looking for wood from a local wood club. There is a big one in Canberra.

Euge

FenceFurniture
3rd April 2019, 05:14 PM
Ivorbigdeck is a legitimate member, but he rarely posts. I have done several commercial transactions with him over 7-8 years, and had a few beers with him at Wood Dust last October. No need for any suspicion.

Euge
3rd April 2019, 05:30 PM
Ivorbigdeck is a legitimate member, but he rarely posts. I have done several commercial transactions with him over 7-8 years, and had a few beers with him at Wood Dust last October. No need for any suspicion.

Thanks FenceFurniture, that reassuring.
Before your message was posted I replied to him by PM and provided him with a range of options.
Euge

Euge
4th April 2019, 12:18 PM
I have been in PM contact offering him a range of options but still dont know what he wants to make (from spindle or bowl turning blanks).
No matter, he's starting out and says will explore what he can learn and obtain through a local wood club... a good idea.

Good luck Ovorbigdeck!

Euge

brainstrust
4th April 2019, 08:07 PM
i'm from canberra and always keen for nice blanks!!!!!

Euge
4th April 2019, 08:37 PM
i'm from canberra and always keen for nice blanks!!!!!

Maybe, those who sell wood on this forum can help you!!
Others myself included offer wood occassionally than can be turned. BUT it would help if we knew what you did ... eg spindle turning, pen turning or bowl turning etc ... and if you had preferences with woods... kinds, sources, quality, hard, soft, fancy, burls, modest cost etc. Otherwise the choice is often too great.

brainstrust
5th April 2019, 12:22 AM
bowls and any nice wood with good grain. I do some pens too but I have a good supply of pen blanks.

woodPixel
5th April 2019, 12:19 PM
I'm from Canberra and can confirm most people here are quite blank.

Ivorbigdeck. Great handle!