PDA

View Full Version : Bauhinia Bowl

Big A
11th April 2019, 06:06 PM

This is one of the Central Queensland Bauhinias, but I have not seen it flower, so I do not know if it is Red Bauhinia (Lysiphyllum carronii) or White (Lysiphyllum hookeri). It does not show the “ebonising” of Red mentioned by TTIT on his website:”A 200mm cross section showing the 'ebony' heartwood. Like spalting, this is just a stage prior to rotting which makes it difficult to stabilise for turning.”
It is a dense wood, with some fine wavy grain patterns, which were too fine to photograph. It turned well, with just my usual amount of tear out. I filled a hole with clear Epoxy, but can’t see it in a darker patch in the photos. The bowl is 170mm at its widest and 80mm high with a wall thickness of 7-8mm. Finished with satin WOP.

Gary H
11th April 2019, 06:44 PM
Looks great, Big A. A nice shape and attractive timber. The Wipe On Poly finish looks good - what brand WOP, how many coats, and any clues on applying/sanding etc would be appreciated.

Cheers, Gary H

Big A
11th April 2019, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Gary. The WOP is from the Green Shed - Feast Watson is their supplier now. As for the number of coats - as many as it takes. Depends on the wood and the amount you put on each time. The trick is to get a good thick coat, but not so much that it runs. When the finish has sufficient depth and looks good, that is enough. I will sand between some of the coats if it is rough, or has a run, with 320 or sometimes with 400. I finish the wood to 320.

I have sometimes wiped the first soaking coat off - that lets me do all over at the same time, otherwise it outside in the am, inside in the pm!

Cheers,
Alister.