PDA

View Full Version : Tuart burl platter

Willy Nelson
16th April 2019, 08:56 PM
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen
I have just finished this Tuart burl platter which measures approx 400mm x 50mm high. Tuart, for those poor Easterners, is a rare and protected tree in the coastal, south west region of WA. Bland by WA standards, it would be considered stunning to Eastern Oztralians.

I did a favour for a guy years ago, he repaid with me approx 400 kg of Tuart burl. He was an arborist, so I am sure he is correct. I had never seen Tuart burl before, but I am a real fan of it now.
Comments welcome
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Willy Nelson
16th April 2019, 08:57 PM
Bugger, I just saw my toes in the photo, sorry:((
Willy

powderpost
16th April 2019, 09:14 PM
Well manicured toe Willy..:U and a very nice platter to boot. :2tsup: I think we might have a few little gems on this side of the continent, that would be considered as acceptable for turning.

Jim

Euge
16th April 2019, 09:50 PM
Fantastic Willy, Nice platter mate.

Hey, I also enjoy looking at the Wandoo burl bowl, the one you hollowed out without a lathe, every day.
You will be selling some of the Tuart burl turnings I guess, if so I would be interested in a large platter like that above

Cheers, Euge

Nubsnstubs
17th April 2019, 01:14 AM
Willy

Willy, it's not a big deal. Here in the US, on another site I belong to, it's almost an obligation to show your feet in any of the pictures posted of logs and large pieces of wood just collected. Nowadays, I've trained so well, that's the first thing I look for. I wasn't prepared to see toes, though. I'm glad to see you don't have bunions.:U... Anyway, it's a beautiful piece of wood, and platter........ Jerry (in Tucson) USA

Mobyturns
17th April 2019, 05:57 AM
Tuart is a beautiful timber to turn. Very nice platter to btw.

plt43
17th April 2019, 07:11 AM
Lovely work, Willy!
Simple design that lets you focus on the beauty of the wood.
cheers

phil

tony_A
17th April 2019, 08:02 AM
Thats stunning Willy, beautifully done. You nailed that one.

Tony

Willy Nelson
17th April 2019, 08:08 AM
:2tsup: I think we might have a few little gems on this side of the continent, that would be considered as acceptable for turning.

Jim

Hello Jim
Yes, I am sure you are correct, but where are the turnings and the photos?? Hmmmmm?
There is the challenge Ladies and Gentlemen
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Willy Nelson
17th April 2019, 08:12 AM
Willy, it's not a big deal. Here in the US, on another site I belong to, it's almost an obligation to show your feet in any of the pictures posted of logs and large pieces of wood just collected. Nowadays, I've trained so well, that's the first thing I look for. I wasn't prepared to see toes, though. I'm glad to see you don't have bunions.:U... Anyway, it's a beautiful piece of wood, and platter........ Jerry (in Tucson) USA

Ha ha, well said.
Thank God you don't see me out bush cutting giant burls and logs, in crocs (still got all my toes) :)(, shorts and a singlet. Also hearing hearing and eye protection, you can never be too careful :2tsup:
Oh yeah, thanks to everyone for your generous comments :brava
Sincerely
Willy

Chief Tiff
17th April 2019, 09:16 AM
Willy

I see you’ve finally stopped painting them :rolleyes:

Nubsnstubs
18th April 2019, 12:15 AM
Hey Willey, if you don't have any objections, I'm gonna post this picture on the site that I belong to that accepts feet in pictures... You will get full credit. Let me know if that's OK with you. I wish I had the ability to somehow get them painted like Chief Tiff suggested you once did. :U ........... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Willy Nelson
18th April 2019, 12:29 PM
Hey Willey, if you don't have any objections, I'm gonna post this picture on the site that I belong to that accepts feet in pictures... You will get full credit. Let me know if that's OK with you. I wish I had the ability to somehow get them painted like Chief Tiff suggested you once did. :U ........... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Good Morning Jerry
I do not have any objections to my toes being posted onother sites. As to the painted nails, Chief Tiff is a full time Manicurist andI once lost a bet to have them painted. Chief Tiff did a great job on them, but just the once.
As to credit for the platter, no need.
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

powderpost
18th April 2019, 08:55 PM
Hello Jim
Yes, I am sure you are correct, but where are the turnings and the photos?? Hmmmmm?
There is the challenge Ladies and Gentlemen
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Hi Willy, I accept your challenge.... :).

Queensland maple

For starters...
Will look for some more photos later.

Jim