PDA

View Full Version : Trafalgar

Bodgy
21st October 2005, 03:49 PM
200th Anniversary of Trafalgar - 25 October 1805.

May also be the anniversary of Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson's death, not sure tho, as he lingered a bit before karking it and taking his rum bath.

RETIRED
21st October 2005, 05:28 PM
Only seems like yesterday. :rolleyes: :)

Christopha
21st October 2005, 06:04 PM
The only good Admiral is a dead Admiral...... ;)

Auld Bassoon
21st October 2005, 06:09 PM
The only good Admiral is a dead Admiral...... ;)

No, no, no Christopha!

At the time, the only good dead admiral was a French Admiral - esp Villeneuve.

BTW - just be picky, the anniversary is today, the 21st!

Cheers!

Christopha
21st October 2005, 06:23 PM
That would be bloody right, today is "HER" birthday and we are set for a blue tonight that will make the bloody battle of Trifle vulgar look like the Teddy Bears frigggin' picnic.... bet she doesn't kiss me Hardy!

ozwinner
21st October 2005, 06:48 PM
bet she doesn't kiss me Hardy!

Ewwwww to much information.

Al :D

Bodgy
21st October 2005, 08:18 PM
That would be bloody right, today is "HER" birthday and we are set for a blue tonight that will make the bloody battle of Trifle vulgar look like the Teddy Bears frigggin' picnic.... bet she doesn't kiss me Hardy!

Contary to popular belief Nelson did not say "Kiss me Hardy" he said "Kismet Hardy". Kismet being an Eastern version of a fatalistic philosophy, much like Ned Kelly and "Such is life". An acceptance of the impending end of life.

Unfortunately, Capn Hardy, having spent his life in the Royal Navy, thought an order is an order and had his tongue in Horatio's ear quick smart.

Seriously tho, "Kismet" is becoming more accepted as Horry's last utterance, Amazing how legends are born!

Credit to Bassoon, its a typo. 21 21 21

Driver
21st October 2005, 09:51 PM
Contary to popular belief Nelson did not say "Kiss me Hardy" he said "Kismet Hardy". Kismet being an Eastern version of a fatalistic philosophy, much like Ned Kelly and "Such is life". An acceptance of the impending end of life.

Unfortunately, Capn Hardy, having spent his life in the Royal Navy, thought an order is an order and had his tongue in Horatio's ear quick smart.

Seriously tho, "Kismet" is becoming more accepted as Horry's last utterance, Amazing how legends are born!

Seriously, though, how does anyone know precisely what he said? Presumably, since Nelson was addressing him, Hardy was closer to him than anyone else and therefore probably heard him more clearly than anyone else. This Kismet thing has been doing the rounds for years: I can remember an earnest student teacher telling my primary school class this story over 50 years ago.

ozwinner
21st October 2005, 09:58 PM
Maybe he said, " boy, I need you to kiss me, for I love you so, arrggghhhhhhhh "

Al :p

AlexS
21st October 2005, 10:17 PM
Maybe he said, " boy, I need you to kiss me, for I love you so, arrggghhhhhhhh "

Let's hear it for rum, sodomy and the lash :D

ozwinner
21st October 2005, 10:19 PM
Yarrrgh..

Al :cool:

Driver
21st October 2005, 10:29 PM
Jeez, Al

Where did you find the photo of Seaman Staines?

ozwinner
21st October 2005, 10:37 PM
Yah tiz I, Ya ol' mate Al.

Staines. :p

savage
22nd October 2005, 08:41 PM
Aarggh!..Your turn in the barrel Jim lad!...Aarrgh!...Where's me buccaneers?... (Crew)...On ya buckin' head!...Aarrggh!:D

savage(Eric):D