PDA

View Full Version : Spraygun and how to use it

old_picker
21st October 2005, 07:59 PM
i am learning myself to use a spraygun and having lots of problems getting the settings correct. I guess it is the settings that are causing my problems, i mean what else? You hold it near the job and wave it around till you get what looks like a coat of finish. The gun is a cheapie that i got from bunnies for around $30. It has a gold handle and seems to be solid enough. It has 3 adjusters two at the top and one at the bottome of the handle which regulates the flow of lacquer. the top one i dont know what it does. the second top one decreases the amount you can pull the trigger.

In the info that came with the gun, they are just masrked as pattern adjusters in an exploded diagram of the parts. derrr!! i know that but how to use them is the question. I would like to be able to shoot a nice even coat with no runs every time.

It would be great if someone could list a few basic tips on how to use this infernal tool. I am generally pretty good with tools but this one, man o man i am reall in a lot of trouble.
thanks

ozwinner
21st October 2005, 08:11 PM
Practice, Practice, Practice.

Maybe you need a gooder gun, mine coat over $100.

Al :eek:

Sprog
21st October 2005, 08:43 PM
Try
http://www.autobodypro.com/tektips/articles/spray_guns.htm

Wood Butcher
21st October 2005, 09:00 PM
The top adjuster regulates the width of spread of the fan of air coming out of the nozzle.

I have done a lot of spray painting before and it does take some practice to get good at it.

I really suggest you have a read of the link that Sprog put up. It has some really good info there!!

Cheers

journeyman Mick
21st October 2005, 11:08 PM
Old Picker,
the knob at the bottom of the handle adjusts the total amount of air supplied to the gun (more air picks up more paint, which is why you thought it was your adjuster for paint). Like Wood Butcher said, the top adjuster is for the fan pattern. The one below it adjusts how far back the trigger pulls the needle, which in turn gives you more or less paint.

Mick