PDA

View Full Version : Carbide tipped blades

savage
21st October 2005, 09:14 PM
G'Day All,
I was wondering if it is possible to "touch-up" a carbide tipped saw blade, if the answer is yes, what do I use to do so?....
Is it a diamond stone/file?...
As I have had it to the "Saw Doctor" on one occassion to replace a tooth and sharpen the rest, I've noticed the last few weeks the end of the cut, the timber is getting splinters and a bit furry as opposed to when new it was very clean. I have a working knowledge of traditional blades, setting the teeth and so forth but I'm a little lost when it comes to TCT blades, any advise would be welcome, or is it time for the Dr again?...:)
savage(Eric):).

echnidna
21st October 2005, 09:45 PM
I have sharpened one with a diamond file,
Took an hour or so.

savage
21st October 2005, 09:51 PM
G'Day Bob,

are they a readily available item or do I have to go to a tool supplier to get one?
savage(Eric):)

echnidna
21st October 2005, 09:54 PM
Try bunnings

AlexS
21st October 2005, 10:03 PM
Before you start sharpening, hit the teeth with oven cleaner (Mr Muscle) to remove any resin build-up. You may find this is all you need to do.

savage
21st October 2005, 10:26 PM
Before you start sharpening, hit the teeth with oven cleaner (Mr Muscle) to remove any resin build-up. You may find this is all you need to do.
Alex,
Will do, but they don't look like when they came back from the Dr's keen chisle like but I have been cutting a lot of Pine (lots of resin in that I'm guessin') I'll take it off in the morning and have a good look.
Bob,
I'll be near Glenfords tommorrow, Bunnies is out of the way for me so I'll ask them if no luck I'll try Bunnies.
Thanks all, much appreiciated.

scooter
21st October 2005, 10:41 PM
Different spin on cleaning the blade, do a search on Simple Green. It's a heavy duty detergent from the US, find it in homewares at Bunnings.

Suggested it to Dean (onlinetoolreviews.com.au) a while back & he reckoned he got good results. Might be a bit less severe than the oven cleaner.

Cheers....................Sean

savage
21st October 2005, 11:18 PM
Thank's Sean, I'll remember that one too!:)

echnidna
21st October 2005, 11:26 PM
If its only got pine resin buildup, turps and a toothbrush will take it off quick

savage
22nd October 2005, 07:18 PM
G'Day All,

problem solved, took the blade off this arvo', didn't get a chace this morning, but went out and spoke to a bloke at Gasweld about a diamond file, he didn't have any but gave me a "free sample" left by a rep. Got home and put up 4 blinds for SWMBO, then up to the shed took off the blade and scraped a tooth with a small cheapo blade and low and behold a "scale" popped of the tooth:eek: , sharp as ever underneath:cool: , cleaned them all and wire brushed them for good measure and oiled and steel wooled the body of the blade. The outcome, it cuts like new!:) .. Thank you all for your tips, all taken for future reference and I'm a bit wiser for the exercise!....:)