PDA

View Full Version : Finish for an old wooden hand line.

brizylad
25th April 2019, 06:31 PM
My 14 year old son has expressed an interest in fishing, so I dug through the old gear and found a wooden hand line that I used to use 40+ years ago.

The top appears to be oak, and the handle probably pine.

The timber is very dry and rough, so I will need to sand it back, but the problem going through my head is what sort of finish to put on it.

I have a plethora of finishes for table, chairs, etc., but this one has me a bit baffled.

Any suggestion greatfully welcomed.

62woollybugger
27th April 2019, 08:27 PM
After sanding, give it a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil, then put it on display somewhere & buy him a new rod & reel.:;

HUON
29th April 2019, 09:48 PM
Lovely looking hand reel, why not have a go at soaking it in fish oil (thinking outside the square here). The line coming off the reel would give off a faint hint of burley, who knows.

brizylad
1st May 2019, 08:42 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.

Boiled linseed seems to be the way to go, although the fish oil may have some merit, but I’m not sure where to get a reasonably “pure” oil.

As an aside, we went out today and the boy caught his first whiting. Me on the other hand got nothing but exercise chasing the crows.... yes crows, away from the bait bucket.