PDA

View Full Version : Hollow form

Dalboy
1st May 2019, 03:48 AM
Glad to have my lathe back up and running, it seems strange as I knew by the sound how it was behaving but now the motor is so quiet.
Started out with a very uninteresting piece of wood and was going to use black stain to enhance the grain that is there but did not get the desired effect so went back to natural. I did find a split so repaired this using various woods and finished off with a finial to echo the repair but not sure i like it may just have to change it.
The problem is the wife likes it.
The main body is Field Maple the inserts are Walnut, Ironbark and African Blackwood. The finial is the same three kinds of wood with the addition of some American black walnut.
The finish is acrylic sander sealer topped with an acrylic satin top coat

crowie
1st May 2019, 01:09 PM
Prize winning piece for sure Derek!
Cheers Peter

Dalboy
2nd May 2019, 11:17 PM
Thank you Peter

Christos
3rd May 2019, 11:56 AM
I think the repair is fine. The final might be a little too round, maybe a little less curve.

What I am trying to say a sort of blending in between the types of wood.

Keith_1
6th May 2019, 08:52 PM
Top job as always Derek:2tsup:

Regards

Keith

Dalboy
7th May 2019, 06:08 AM
Thank you Christos and Keith. Sorry for late reply been away for the weekend.

I think the repair is fine. The final might be a little too round, maybe a little less curve.

What I am trying to say a sort of blending in between the types of wood.

Now the weekend is over I may get the chance to have a play with different finials or I may just leave it off altogether. Thank you for your feedback it is always nice when people do make comments as sometimes we as turners may miss the obvious