PDA

View Full Version : *** Warning-images of sheep and goat skulls****

Willy Nelson
3rd May 2019, 01:52 PM
Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Mods. Should this thread offend anyone, I am happy for it to be modified or removed. Advice was sought prior to posting.

Sometime ago,I was given a goat skull by a mate who had no use for it. I decided to turn a disc and mount it. The discs are all Jarrah burl, with a Robert Sorby textured rim, which has been subsequently ebonised (vinegar and steel wool). Then Danish oil finish.

I showed the original owner of the skull what I had achieved, he consequently requested a disc for another skull of his.

Lastly, a property where I regularly visit, had a collection of ram skulls at the entrance. As they were wasting away, I asked the farmer if he would like one mounted, which he accepted.

The skulls have have been treated with linseed oil which makes the horns look darker and prevents the bone from becoming brittle.

I hope people view this post for the woodturning and use of an item and not get distracted by the whole animal rights theme.
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

DavidG
3rd May 2019, 02:16 PM
Nice work.:2tsup:

ubeaut
3rd May 2019, 03:05 PM
Mounted a set of Buffalo horns for a small and very new Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes Lodge of which I was one of the original members some 46 years ago and which has been defunct for probably the last 20+ years.

No idea what ever happened to the horns or the lodge.

Have a set of horns of my own which I also mounter at the some time as the ones for lodge.... No idea where mine are either. Probably disappeared in one of our many moves. Mont Albert to Kilsyth, Kilsyth to Boronia, Boronia to Ferntree Gully from the Gully to Mitcham, Mitcham to Perth, then Boronia (4 years later), Boronia to Newstead, Newstead to Welshmans Reef then to South Geelong (20 years ago), Newtown, Highton, and finally settled in for good here in Grovedale (Geelong) 46 years paying rent but no longer... Oh yeah all that above doesn't account for 6 moves of commercial premises/factories etc.

So goodness only knows where on earth my set of horns has ended up. Definitely not at Grovedale and can't recall seeing them around the factory anywhere. Probably stowed away somewhere safe??? I guess they'll turn up some where and some time when I least expect.

Sorry for the rant. :B

:U

Dalboy
4th May 2019, 01:48 AM
Some lovely wood to mount them on. Would have liked to see them mounted which would give the overall effect.

Willy Nelson
4th May 2019, 03:09 PM
Some lovely wood to mount them on. Would have liked to see them mounted which would give the overall effect.

Yes, fair enough. Wotchafink?
Willy

artful bodger
4th May 2019, 08:31 PM
Nice work!.
How about this big game trophy that I saw hanging on the wall in a Hotel in Texas (Queensland).

Nubsnstubs
5th May 2019, 11:16 AM
Nice work!.
How about this big game trophy that I saw hanging on the wall in a Hotel in Texas (Queensland).

AB , love it, from an almost real deal Texan. Missed it by a few months. Pop was a die hard Cajun, and couldn't stand being in Texas. ... Jerry (in Tucson)USA