PDA

View Full Version : a difficult bowl

turnerted
3rd May 2019, 05:42 PM
The blank for this bowl was obtained by cutting the pointy end off a 20kg blackbutt (I think) burl . The slab was mounted on a faceplate ring and I started to cut a tennon on the base , but I discovered a large valley was running across it . The burl stlll had it's bark on it so I didn't know what was there untill I cut into it . Eventually I was able to get about 3/4 of a circle about 150mm diam. and about 10mm thick. I then wrapped masking tape round it ,packed the hollow with wood chips and poured black epoxy into it .When the epoxy had set, I reduced the foot to about 100mm then glued a tennon on to it . The valley extended beyond the area of the foot so I propped up one side of the blank and poured more epoxy in . I had to do this twice to fill the hole up . I was then able to turn the underside then remount to hollow it out . I used a random orbital sander to tidy up the wings .
The other problem I had was that this burl was rock hard,much harder than any blackbutt burl that I have used previously . This is the first time I have resorted to a carbide tool to rough out a bowl .
The finish is WIP and the maximum width is 400mm.
It was a lot of work but I think it was worth it .
Ted

brainstrust
3rd May 2019, 06:27 PM
wow what a stunning piece of wood:2tsup:
finish is WIP and not WOP?

cava
3rd May 2019, 07:22 PM
Very nice. ��

What epoxy did you use?

tony_A
3rd May 2019, 07:41 PM
That bowl's a ripper Ted, a great result.

Tony

turnerted
4th May 2019, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the comments .
cava... the epoxy I used was Megapoxy HX but any casting epoxy would probably do for a job like this .
WIP was a typo , should be WOP .
Ted