PDA

View Full Version : South Australian get together soon!

Cal
5th May 2019, 08:15 PM
Anyone in South Australia interested in starting a get together? I’m happy to host a two day get together here in Strathalbyn if anyone is interested. If you can’t make Saturday, turn up Sunday.I do all sorts of woodwork from milling timber to building ukuleles. I have just collected some Blackwood that I will mill in the coming weeks, I have some ukuleles under way and have an outdoor table to build. So I have a fair bit going on that we could fiddle with if there is any interest in the next month or into June.Let me know if you are interested.Cheers Cal
Ps, happy to throw some snags on the barbecue too!

KBs PensNmore
5th May 2019, 10:49 PM
I'm in, depending when though. Due to work commitments, there are a couple of Field Days around that time.
Kryn

wedgtail
5th May 2019, 11:13 PM
I would be interested , mainly a wood turner .

Cal
6th May 2019, 04:35 AM
I'm in, depending when though. Due to work commitments, there are a couple of Field Days around that time.
Kryn

Throw me the dates you are unavailable for and we can work around that. I’m thinking this month would be better, before it gets too cold.

Cal
6th May 2019, 04:38 AM
I would be interested , mainly a wood turner .

That’s good, I may have some turning blanks for you [emoji4]
There is a lathe here (not a good one)

ericks2
6th May 2019, 03:21 PM
I would be interested, not sure what i can contribute as i am not a good woodworker:)

Cal
6th May 2019, 08:05 PM
I would be interested, not sure what i can contribute as i am not a good woodworker:)I can’t afford to pay anyone to stand at the front door to check credentials so I think you will fit right in😁It’s going to be pretty casual, more of a meet and greet rather than who knows what.As I have just retrieved another tree, I thought it may be of interest to some to see how they can be milled using a simple Alaskan mill. My shed is small and my equipment is not exactly state of the art, but I would like to put some faces to names 😁We can just chat about anything and everything!

KBs PensNmore
6th May 2019, 10:25 PM
Throw me the dates you are unavailable for and we can work around that. I’m thinking this month would be better, before it gets too cold.
This month would be fine, no plans ATM apart from visiting Erick, to pick up my CNC Router.
Kryn

ericks2
7th May 2019, 12:24 AM
I can’t afford to pay anyone to stand at the front door to check credentials so I think you will fit right inIt’s going to be pretty casual, more of a meet and greet rather than who knows what.As I have just retrieved another tree, I thought it may be of interest to some to see how they can be milled using a simple Alaskan mill. My shed is small and my equipment is not exactly state of the art, but I would like to put some faces to names We can just chat about anything and everything!

Sounds great....thanks

CBaulds
7th May 2019, 07:47 PM
I might be interested. But my availability is a bit unknown due to work- I’m not free until June. I’ll keep an eye on the thread.

Cheers

Cal
7th May 2019, 09:14 PM
I’m happy to leave it until June or July or Do we hold off until Spring? Having not done this before, I’m not sure as to how much notice to give people to see the thread before I set a date? It would be great to get a bunch of us together rather than just four or five.....

KBs PensNmore
8th May 2019, 12:48 AM
JEEEZ talk about impatient, it only been talked about for a couple of days:D.
Some people only come on here occasionally.
Kryn

macg
8th May 2019, 11:09 AM
Hi Cal,

I'm in Victor Harbor, so it's not far for me to travel,
am busy the rest of this month and 1st weekend in June.

What if you set a date for mid June, that would give plenty
of time for people to help organise themselves.

Graham.

Bauldy
8th May 2019, 03:10 PM
I would attend if the time works out. We travel a bit so I will wait until you set a final date and then let you know.

Thanks for offering.

Bauldy

CBaulds
8th May 2019, 03:10 PM
As a possibility - I should be able to make it for atleast one of the days on the weekend of the 15th and 16th of June.

Cal
8th May 2019, 06:26 PM
Ok, so how does it sound if for this first one we do a one day event and set it for the 16th of June? If we manage to get a taste for it, we could make it an annual event as others have done and look at extending it to a two day gig. What say you?

Bauldy
9th May 2019, 09:49 PM
I will pencil that date down and confirm when it gets closer.

Regartds

Bauldy
9th May 2019, 09:50 PM
I will pencil that date down and confirm when it gets closer.

Regards

Bauldy

CBaulds
11th May 2019, 06:42 AM
I will do the same, It's penciled in the diary.

Thanks Cal

ericks2
11th May 2019, 08:19 PM
16 th may work for me:)

Cal
11th May 2019, 09:52 PM
This is starting to look like it’s a go then, thank you chaps! Does anyone have anything woodwork related that they wish to bring with them? I was thinking that I could prepare some timber for a ukulele to bend with the bending iron and people can have a go at it. As mentioned I have a few Blackwood logs we can mill on the day too. And for those that are interested, I have a few half rounds in the back yard that I am happy to let go of for wood turners. Let’s just hope for a reasonably dry day!

ericks2
11th May 2019, 10:03 PM
All i can offer is to cut someone something on my cnc router and bring it with. However i only have mdf and aluminium lying around:)

CBaulds
12th May 2019, 07:12 AM
I’m not sure what I will bring to show off....But I’ll definitely bring something. Perhaps a piece I’m working on or maybe some hand tools I find interesting. Or even just some photos. I’m really keen to see the bending of the uke parts. I’d like to make a guitar one day so this would be very interesting to see.

Cal
12th May 2019, 10:12 AM
All i can offer is to cut someone something on my cnc router and bring it with. However i only have mdf and aluminium lying around:)

Sounds great, I’m interested to see what you come up with. I am intrigued with cnc!

Cal
12th May 2019, 10:13 AM
I’m not sure what I will bring to show off....But I’ll definitely bring something. Perhaps a piece I’m working on or maybe some hand tools I find interesting. Or even just some photos. I’m really keen to see the bending of the uke parts. I’d like to make a guitar one day so this would be very interesting to see.

That sounds great too! What ever you wish to bring will be a talking point I’m sure.

ericks2
12th May 2019, 03:31 PM
Sounds great, I’m interested to see what you come up with. I am intrigued with cnc!

Well if you need something cut/made let me know:)

Cal
12th May 2019, 03:42 PM
Well if you need something cut/made let me know:)

Will have a chat to you on the day, I’m looking at putting a logo on the headstock of my ukuleles at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBs PensNmore
12th May 2019, 08:26 PM
I could bring the small CNC that Erick used to make his machine with, plus a wheel cutting jig I made for use on the lathe.
I'm sure I could do with a refresher course from Erick on it:D.
Kryn

ericks2
12th May 2019, 09:35 PM
I could bring the small CNC that Erick used to make his machine with, plus a wheel cutting jig I made for use on the lathe.
I'm sure I could do with a refresher course from Erick on it:D.
Kryn

That sounds like a great idea...

Cal
18th May 2019, 11:49 AM
How are you all looking for the 16th of June so far? Are there any of you who know of other members in SA that have yet to see the thread? If so let them know! Cheers Cal

Tonyz
18th May 2019, 09:59 PM
If everybody threw some money in the pot Id fly over and entertain you all. Otherwise I'll be catching Tuna...hmmmm :)

wedgtail
18th May 2019, 11:14 PM
16 th of June works for me, happy to donate a couple Kilo of snags for lunch .

hurcorh
19th May 2019, 08:49 AM
Bummer. I'm out of town till the 19th. Oh well, next time!

Cal
19th May 2019, 04:56 PM
16 th of June works for me, happy to donate a couple Kilo of snags for lunch .

Wow, if that is what you would like to do, I’m not about to say no! Thank you. I will buy some other meat for the bbq and do some salads too.

Cal
19th May 2019, 04:59 PM
Bummer. I'm out of town till the 19th. Oh well, next time!

That is a bummer, would have liked to have you here. All going well we will organise another get together either later in the year or early next year. Cheers Cal

Tonyz
19th May 2019, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=Cal;2140488]Wow, if that is what you would like to do, I’m not about to say no! Thank you. I will buy some other meat for the bbq and do some salads too /QUOTE] Whaaat? what are you talking about, is there women coming?
Unfortunately I'll be fishing off Sir Issac Banks,.... on lower EP dang someone has to do it.

Cal
19th May 2019, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=Cal;2140488]Wow, if that is what you would like to do, I’m not about to say no! Thank you. I will buy some other meat for the bbq and do some salads too /QUOTE] Whaaat? what are you talking about, is there women coming?
Unfortunately I'll be fishing off Sir Issac Banks,.... on lower EP dang someone has to do it.

Oh well, maybe next time you come across to the big smoke :)

KBs PensNmore
19th May 2019, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=Tonto;2140492]

Oh well, maybe next time you come across to the big smoke :)

Make sure you bring a tuna for the Barbie :D

AndyJ
20th May 2019, 09:30 AM
I'd like to join in if that's still possible.Cheers,Andy

Cal
20th May 2019, 03:55 PM
I'd like to join in if that's still possible.Cheers,Andy

Yes, for sure! You are most welcome:)

BoneInspector
22nd May 2019, 10:55 PM
I will see how I go. 3 young kids and a wife makes events like this a rarity. Still nice to know there are people around to talk to.

Bob54
23rd May 2019, 02:26 PM
I'd love to be there but SWMBO has arranged for me to take her to the Loire Valley that day. It's tough I know but someone has to go with her!

Maybe next time

Cal
23rd May 2019, 07:44 PM
I will see how I go. 3 young kids and a wife makes events like this a rarity. Still nice to know there are people around to talk to.

Just to let you know, Kryn and Erick are both CNC users. Could be worth ducking out for, stay for as short or as long as you wish. :)

Cal
23rd May 2019, 07:46 PM
I'd love to be there but SWMBO has arranged for me to take her to the Loire Valley that day. It's tough I know but someone has to go with her!

Maybe next time

Would have been cheaper to drop her down to Langhorne Creek for the day and pick her up when you were finished here :)
Have a great trip! I’m sure we will have a get together again in the future.

rat52
23rd May 2019, 09:58 PM
I am interested in coming. The only thing I am working on at the moment is a new bench which is a bit big to bring. I do have photos of old projects and I can bring some old tools for show and tell.

KBs PensNmore
23rd May 2019, 11:25 PM
Just to let you know, Kryn and Erick are both CNC users.

I'm not a user, just a beginner, a VERY beginner at that.
So much so that I have to contact Erick every so often for how too's?????
Kryn

Cal
24th May 2019, 07:55 PM
I am interested in coming. The only thing I am working on at the moment is a new bench which is a bit big to bring. I do have photos of old projects and I can bring some old tools for show and tell.

Yes, you are more than welcome to join in, yep a bench is a little on the large size to bring with you! Some pics will be great to see and the tools, it’s interesting to see what people have acquired over the years.
I’m sure with the amount of interest we have so far in the get together, we won’t have any problems with conversation.
We may have to form a conga line to get through the shed though :)
Chairs, if everyone can bring a camp chair with them then we won’t have to worry about fighting for the last one when the music stops!

labr@
24th May 2019, 09:10 PM
Thanks for starting this Cal, count me in too.

I don't think I really have much of interest to bring unless you have a dam for the kayaks I've built - but it's going to be too cold for them anyway. Will see what's in the shed and try to come up with something.

Cal
24th May 2019, 09:36 PM

I don't think I really have much of interest to bring unless you have a dam for the kayaks I've built - but it's going to be too cold for them anyway. Will see what's in the shed and try to come up with something.

Great!
I can provide a frog pond, but I’m guessing that the kayaks are a bit big for it :)

KBs PensNmore
24th May 2019, 11:23 PM

Instead of bringing the kayaks bring the PHOTOS, doesn't take up as much room.
Kryn

Cal
25th May 2019, 09:22 AM
Ok, as of today below is a list of attendees.Could I have the first name of those that I don’t have on the list, just to make it easier on the day otherwise it will be like a ham radio club get together, breaker breaker! :)

KBspensandmore - Kryn ...
Wedgetail - Mark
Ericks2 - Erick ...
CBaulds- Cameron ...
macg - Graham ...
Bauldy - Tony
AndyJ - Andy ...
Boneinspector - Andrew ( a possible attending) ...
Rat52 - Mark
labr@ - Bob ...
Mswood - Matt ...

I have set up an email account which I will pm to all of those attending, this will save clogging up pm’s here and allow me to send just one email. Reply to that email for me to give me your email address. When it’s closer to the day I will shoot an email off to you with my home address.So on the day you need to bring a chair and what ever your drinking, I have tea and coffee here. Some show and tell if you wish to bring items or photos, you choose.

This will be an outdoor event as there isn’t much room in the house, so some warm clothes would be a good idea. I have the shed and a carport for cover if it rains. I will be firing up the BBQ, and adding some salads to the menu (nothing fancy)If there is interest I will mill the Blackwood logs with the Alaskan mill and have some ukulele sides ready to shape with the bending iron. My shed is only 6mtr x4mtr and there isn’t room for all of us to be inside at once but we will work it out. Other than that, I don’t have a set program for the day. Just come and meet fellow forumits and enjoy the day. Cheers Cal

CBaulds
25th May 2019, 09:59 AM
Cameron is my name :)

Cal
25th May 2019, 10:03 AM
Cameron is my name :)Thanks Cameron!

mswood
25th May 2019, 10:18 AM
Hey Cal, I don't post here a lot but I'd be keen to join you. Great idea. Thanks. Matt.

Cal
25th May 2019, 10:22 AM
Hey Cal, I don't post here a lot but I'd be keen to join you. Great idea. Thanks. Matt.

Yep, that’s great, will add you to the list :)

Bauldy
25th May 2019, 10:11 PM
Cal,

Not sure what your thoughts are about catering, but with the numbers you are getting perhaps suggest an "entry fee" to cover all food, tea coffee etc. While some people have offered to bring food it may get messy not being sure what you will get.
Obviously if you cater for those who indicate they are coming, and then they don't, you will have a lot of food that you may not get reimbursed.

Your event, so your call how you run it, just my thoughts as this thing is growing.

Regards

Bauldy

ericks2
25th May 2019, 10:19 PM
Cal,

Not sure what your thoughts are about catering, but with the numbers you are getting perhaps suggest and "entry fee" to cover all food, tea coffee etc. While some people have offered to bring food it may get messy not being sure what you will get.
Obviously if you cater for those who indicate they are coming, and then they don't, you will have a lot of food that you may not get reimbursed.

Your event, so your call how you run it, just my thoughts as this thing is growing.

Regards

Bauldy

Great idea about the entry fee:)

Cal
26th May 2019, 12:15 PM
After speaking to my partner Kym about a cover charge, we are both of the opinion that we are happy to cover the cost of hosting the day. So everyone can bring a chair and drink of choice and enjoy meeting each other. Maybe after the day someone else would like to host the next one? Will see what happens. :)

thesovietfox
27th May 2019, 08:05 PM
I'd be up for this. Can only bring photos.
Name is Dan.
keen to pick some brains on CNC's too, and side bending......and milling.......

Cal
27th May 2019, 08:28 PM
I'd be up for this. Can only bring photos.
Name is Dan.
keen to pick some brains on CNC's too, and side bending......and milling.......

No problems Dan, will send you a pm!

billy90
28th May 2019, 08:36 PM
Gday Cal
Count me in please, i could bring my bandsaw mill but sounds like there is already limited free space. maybe next time or i may even be able to host the next one
cheers Daniel

Cal
28th May 2019, 08:50 PM
You’re in Daniel!
Will send you a pm :)
Yes you are right, space at my place is not exactly huge, we should all fit without the mill :)

Cal
1st June 2019, 12:17 PM
Ok, so here is an updated list of attendees for the 16th of June.
Two weeks to go!

KBpensnmore - Kryn
Wedgetail - Mark
Ericks2 - Erick
CBaulds - Cameron
Macg- Graham
Bauldy - Tony
AndyJ - Andy
Boneinspector - Andrew
Rat52 - Mark
labr@ - Bob
Thesovietfox - Dan
Billy90 - Daniel

Including myself and my partner Kym, that make 14 of us.
If anyone else is interested, you are still welcome. Just add your name to the thread.

Should be an interesting day with a good mix of different woodworkers, turners, CNC operators, Sawyers etc.
I think we could kick off the day at 10am and conclude at 5pm, I don’t have a set program of events. We can just work it all out on the day.
I will send out an email to you all next weekend (8th June) containing my address and phone contact.

Cheers Cal

Cal
1st June 2019, 05:53 PM
Who wants some free timber while you’re here?
Up for grabs includes: Claret Ash, desert ash, Cherry, cootamundra Wattle, Silky Oak, willow, eucalypt, Cherry pine, maple, red gum, alder and many more.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190601/ef9aa1d888f1c9ea5523819f6da51c75.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190601/6a5ce0e88ca613ccfe82ec5449f2aa25.jpg
I’m not going to use all of this in my lifetime so I may as well share it around:)

Cal
7th June 2019, 08:34 PM
Hello all, an email has been sent to all attending.
I am really looking forward to meeting you all, I hope the weather is kind to us too!
There are two more people coming, Barry and Chris (husband and wife) Barry makes awesome resin cast turnings and Chris paints with resin on canvas and many other amazing paintings. Barry is a member of the forum but doesn’t post a lot.
Any questions just give me a call or send an email.

Cheers Cal :)

Bauldy
7th June 2019, 09:15 PM

I will bring along some surplus cupboard handles to give away, which came as part of an auction lot for anyone who wants any.
They are good quality, but only one of each unfortunately as they are from displays.
Cal gets first pick, otherwise first in!

Regards

Bauldy

NeilS
9th June 2019, 03:34 PM
I'll be an apology for this time, but may be able to make it on a future occasion.

All the very best for the day.

Cal
11th June 2019, 11:48 AM
Not sure if I mentioned what time the day kicks off or not? 10am start and conclusion at 5pm
Cheers Cal

Bauldy
15th June 2019, 11:42 PM
See you all tomorrow.
The weather looks like one if the better days for the week.

Bauldy

NeilS
16th June 2019, 03:36 PM
If there are no photos it didn't happen...:U

Bauldy
16th June 2019, 06:01 PM
I don't think there will be a lot, as everyone was too busy watching, talking and eating, but hopefully someone got some.

A great day and many thanks to Cal and Kym for organising and hosting.

There is so much to learn just by looking how and why someone sets up their shed, uses tools and machines differently and by talking and listening to others.
I hope others will do something similar, but Cal has set the bar so high I wouldn't be game to follow until I have sorted my mess of a shed out a lot more!

Thank you also to everyone else who brought show and tell items and contributed.

Regards

Even met a Third Cousin, I didn't know I had!

Bauldy

Cal
16th June 2019, 06:30 PM
Well I thoroughly enjoyed the day, thank you all for coming! It was great to put faces to names. Weather was amazing, blue skies and great temperature, I think we lucked out there! I didn’t get a chance to take any photos, way too excited just talking to everyone.
Milled a bit of timber and fired up the bending iron, Cameron and Bob had a go at bending some timber.
So many fantastic people, each with many stories to tell of this fine pastime.
I will certainly entertain the idea of holding another get together.
Cheers Cal :)

CBaulds
16th June 2019, 11:23 PM
Very well said Cal. It was really good seeing your set up and getting your tips an techniques for making the Ukes. I especially enjoyed having a go on the bending iron.

Thanks again for hosting the get together.

All the best,

Cameron

labr@
17th June 2019, 12:28 AM
Thanks to Cal and Kym for being such good hosts and also to Ella for announcing that lunch was ready (saved us from going hungry :U).

Thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing the varied interests we have. I learned things about musical instruments, wood bending, chainsaw milling, black powder pistols, CNC capabilities, resin casting and polishing. Seems like a few people now have new contacts for materials, work methods and new interests in the woodworking world. So, not only a fun day but a useful one as well.

Also I suspect that Cal's well organized workshop has affected some of us in a positive way - it's certainly given me a rev up to organize my workspace.

BoneInspector
17th June 2019, 03:14 PM
Yes, excellent day thanks Cal.

Sorry I had to go early and would have liked to see the chainsaw in action. An impressive setup you have with the room available to you.

Andrew

mswood
17th June 2019, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone, I had a great day too. Really enjoyed meeting you all, getting inspired by resin and kayaks and kilns. Special thanks to Cal and Kym for the fabulous lunch. I hope we can keep in touch and continue to support and encourage one another!

Cal
18th June 2019, 07:22 PM
Great to see positive reviews of the day! I think it was a success on so many levels, we all seem to have varying interests in all things timber related which was to be expected but yet we could all very easily talk and relate to each other’s interest. It was a pleasure hosting the day.

If any of you are out this way again, please give me a call and catch up with me. I would be happy to put the kettle on and have a chat. You never know, you may even leave with a bit more timber!

Cheers Cal

Oh, and Andy took a couple of pics and a video of me milling the Blackwood.

Here is one of the photos, will see if I can get the video up too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190618/6c2ffc025cf798fc9e209393dbef9153.jpg

Not sure if anyone else took some photos of the day (not just of me :) )

KBs PensNmore
18th June 2019, 11:42 PM
I'm sorry I missed a great day, by the sound of things.
Kryn

ericks2
19th June 2019, 01:39 AM
I am also sorry i missed it!

NeilS
19th June 2019, 06:38 PM
If there are no photos it didn't happen...:U

OK, photo is up now, it did happen, and by all accounts a great day.

Well done Cal and fellow crow-eaters.

eskimo
5th July 2019, 12:28 PM
If everybody threw some money in the pot Id fly over and entertain you all. Otherwise I'll be catching Tuna...hmmmm :)

if you held one we could come over there and go out fishing for tuna too...:D

Tonyz
8th July 2019, 01:51 PM
if you held one we could come over there and go out fishing for tuna too...:D

what!??? what!?? and spread them among you lot, tell im he's dreaming