PDA

View Full Version : My first bit of wood turning in over 25 years & my first wood lathe

Skilsaw
6th May 2019, 05:19 PM
I was given this old dynalink 4 speed wood lathe by my stepfather who bought it new back in the late 90's and never used it, a couple of months back when I started getting back into wood work he offered it to me and today it got dropped off after I finally made some space to put it which is on an old work bench that was already in the garage when I first moved in to the property. Last time I did wood turning was back in 1990 in my last year of school. So once we got the lathe mounted and bolted down it was time to start it up and put some wood to it for its first time. So here is its first project a chisel handle for an old paring chisel I didn't succeed in replicating it accurately but was happy with it anyway.

Starting to shape the handle

This is the old handle that I was trying to replicate

A bit of wire burning to break things up a bit

A couple of coats of shellac followed by some beeswax polish to finish it off

Lesson learnt here I should have drilled deeper with the last drill bit all it needed was another 5mm but nope I stupidly drove it home so I used some polyurethane glue to repair the small split and clamped it tight, it is the same glue I use for repairing plane handles and this chisel is only for paring so will never be struck with a mallet.

poundy
6th May 2019, 08:27 PM
Are upright lathes common in NZ? :D
Jokes - damn photos that do / don't rotate differently on phones, who can predict!

brainstrust
6th May 2019, 10:16 PM
Welcome home! It no matters if you are vertical or horizontal right now. You are back!!!!!!

Skilsaw
6th May 2019, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys and here is handle no 2 for the day and is closer to the profile I was originally aiming for the wire I used to burn the micro grooves I cut in the handle is 24AWG Kanthal that I use for making my vape coils and wrapped each end around a piece of dowel which is something I learned when I was at school I am glad I have pretty much still got it when it come to wood turning also I learnt from watching a Paul Sellers video on turning chisel handles that mortise chisels are awesome for cutting the tenons and getting into tight spots where the only 3 wood turning chisels I have are too bulky to get in and as for that sideways fairy if I ever get hold of that bloody galah I will personally lock the little blighter up in a steel box and weld it shut and chuck it on the side of the Collarenebri to Mungindi Road.

mick661
7th May 2019, 09:19 PM
Good job just a tip when doing the burn Mark's get some laminate sample cards from the hardware or kitchen suppliers and hold that against the wood. Using wire is not as safe.
Cheers

Skilsaw
7th May 2019, 09:47 PM
Good job just a tip when doing the burn Mark's get some laminate sample cards from the hardware or kitchen suppliers and hold that against the wood. Using wire is not as safe.
Cheers

Thanks for that pointer Mick I will see if our local stores have any sample cards and try to get some, with the burning that I have been doing is the way I was taught in school on how to do it back then it was a bit of fence wire that was used where as the wire I used is wire that is also used to make heating bars on electric heaters, I just found that the 24 AWG Kanthal wire was a perfect fit into the rings that I put in with the parting chisel.

Skilsaw
8th May 2019, 07:27 PM
Last of the three chisels that needed a new handle I feel this one came out the best now my lathe is freed up for my next wood turning project

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/41b215e569f0131b23ad6f4b682154a0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/6e989f036e9d5986506701b442cb1052.jpg

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk