PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE READ WANTED: Trailer-Sailer / Sailing Boat

Manupatree
7th May 2019, 04:24 PM
Hi. From some of the other threads here it would appear this forum is appropriate for non-woodworking related items, so here goes.

I'm on the market for a second-hand trailer-sailer, specs as below.

18-26ft
Good condition and ready-to-sail; i.e. not a 'project'
Complete boat, with full sail suite, rigging, outboard, etc
Ideally self-furling jib, but not essential
Includes trailer, also in good condition
Preferably racer-cruiser type; i.e. faster than a family cruiser but comfortable sleep-aboard
Ideally able to be rigged and sailed solo
Main use would be recreational sailing around Moreton Bay Islands, up to 3-4 days at a time, and also day-trips
Area I'm currently willing to travel to fetch boat is approx. Noosa to Byron Bay
Budget is around $10,000 but could go up to $15,000 for the right boat

I've already expressed my interest on sailing forums, of course, and have been monitoring sites such as Boatsales and Gumtree. I'm in no hurry -- unlike cars, boats are a luxury, not a necessity, the market is much smaller and slower, and they're something people tend to hold on to for decades rather than a few years. I can wait for the right boat to come along. As well as offers, I would be grateful for any advice on buying a boat, which is something I've never done before.

Thank you in anticipation.

damian
7th May 2019, 10:02 PM
TS prices have tanked massively in recent years, in fact all larger sailing craft. You can get a nice 30' keel boat ready to go for $10k these days.

Anyway trailer sailer place has a very long thread that gets updated regularly of most ts coming on market and sometimes some discussion of same.

http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7719&start=13875

Saves some trawling and the comments are often useful. Sometimes they know the boat, sometimes someone local goes to have a look.

If you join you can ask others to keep an eye out and sometimes good boats get advertised there before/instead of the open sites.

I saw your comment about sailing forums but I wasn't sure if you meant that forum. TSP is THE place in aus to look for a TS.

Manupatree
8th May 2019, 01:05 PM
TS prices have tanked massively in recent years, in fact all larger sailing craft. You can get a nice 30' keel boat ready to go for $10k these days.

Anyway trailer sailer place has a very long thread that gets updated regularly of most ts coming on market and sometimes some discussion of same.

Spotted. TS's for sale on the net. - Page 556 - Trailer Sailer Place (http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7719&start=13875)

Saves some trawling and the comments are often useful. Sometimes they know the boat, sometimes someone local goes to have a look.

If you join you can ask others to keep an eye out and sometimes good boats get advertised there before/instead of the open sites.

I saw your comment about sailing forums but I wasn't sure if you meant that forum. TSP is THE place in aus to look for a TS.

Thanks, damian. Yes, I've noticed some nice and affordable keel boats in my browsing. I'd love one but I'm concerned about the cost of mooring over the years being a regular drain on finances through good times and bad.

Manupatree
8th May 2019, 01:05 PM
* double post -- please delete *

damian
8th May 2019, 01:42 PM
I wasn't suggesting a keeler just pointing out ALL TS prices have died an ugly death. If you like plywood there is that 26' tri on gumtree :D but there are oodles to choose from.

Manupatree
8th May 2019, 01:46 PM
I wasn't suggesting a keeler just pointing out ALL TS prices have died an ugly death. If you like plywood there is that 26' tri on gumtree :D but there are oodles to choose from.

Didn't see that. Got a link? :D

I see you're even further from the Bay than I am, which is the main argument against the TS option.