PDA

View Full Version : No Name Yet

Dalboy
20th May 2019, 05:11 AM
Finish one of two pieces should have the second finished either tomorrow or the following day.
Still to give it a name. Inspired by Keith Tompkins from another site.

The spiral is Yew and the base is Oak scorched and lime waxed. sealed with sander sealer and finished with woodwax22.
Some very careful turning to match up parts. It stands 8 3/4" tall and 3" at its widest

Keith_1
20th May 2019, 10:04 AM
Very skillful art work Derek:2tsup:

Regards

Keith

orraloon
20th May 2019, 11:30 AM
An eye catcher for sure and that spiral, well I just got to ask how was that done?
Regards
John

crowie
20th May 2019, 03:37 PM
One angle it looks like the moon
but then from another a piece of seashell;
clever work whatever you decide to call the piece Derek.
Cheers Peter

turnerted
20th May 2019, 05:04 PM
A great piece Derek .
Ted

Dalboy
20th May 2019, 08:44 PM
Thank you everyone. Either this or the second one which still needs finishing will be entered into our club competition. Well at least this time I have not left it until the last minute like I tend to do.

An eye catcher for sure and that spiral, well I just got to ask how was that done?
Regards
John

Thank you. Not easy to answer but it did take some careful planning and getting the parts to the correct dimensions to each other along with a few swear words on occasions when I did things in the wrong order as you can imagine as the grain needs to line up as well.
It is from a solid piece of wood cut in half then these are turned in total there are 4 pieces in the spiral.

orraloon
20th May 2019, 11:24 PM
It's an outstanding piece of work Derek. Still scratching my head a bit as to making it but won't ask any more as you have to hang on to some trade secrets. Will be doing some research now and see if I can figure it out.
Regards
John

Dalboy
21st May 2019, 12:06 AM
It's an outstanding piece of work Derek. Still scratching my head a bit as to making it but won't ask any more as you have to hang on to some trade secrets. Will be doing some research now and see if I can figure it out.
Regards
John

Later on I will try and draw a diagram which hopefully will make it a lot clearer no secret. I am just not very good at describing things.

In the mean time a picture of the piece on the lathe at a later stage in construction sorry did not take any more photos

This is a cross section through the spiral and shows the 4 parts that are turned which hopefully will let you see how it is made the blue outline is the block before cutting then the red is where it was cut it shows the orientation of the parts so that when turned allows for the grain to match up.